Cutting edge out of the ordinary and unusual music.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Here's some of my favorite.

After the first 3 minutes of this, I was hooked. First, Mike Portnoy is my favorite drummer, Billy Sheehan my favorite bass player, and Tony M and Derek S add the perfect finishing touch.... they do some Jeff Beck and other very cool stuff in this jam session. A nice Van Halen bit starts @ 15:45....the Stranger right after that is killer.

Last edited:
I saw Al DiMeola, Paco, and John McLaughlin on the original Trio Tour back in 1979; great stuff.

With all of the different genres it is IMO quite difficult to have a 'favorite'

It's all music, no matter what genre ...............

from South Africa with love

I resided in Dallas (1987 - 2001) and saw Andy Timmons play nearly every week, for years, at Blue Cat Blues in Deep Ellum.

Andy is a MONSTER guitarist & a really nice guy to boot.

One of my Andy favorites ..............

Speaking of Al - Live even.

I've had several Al D compilation 8 tracks and cassettes over the years.
One of my friends told me that he used to play one of them at night for 'subliminal' practicing in his sleep. He's really good too. Back in the mid-80's his band Krash opened for Pantera in Lawton Oklahoma - early bar-touring days. Kelley's amp blew out and Dime let him borrow his Marshall. He and his friend Eddie and I worked together in Atlanta Ga for awhile, but back then they had a couple originals and did all the standard metal covers, bass player sang - Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Metallica and all that stuff.

After the first 3 minutes of this, I was hooked. First, Mike Portnoy is my favorite drummer, Billy Sheehan my favorite bass player, and Tony M and Derek S add the perfect finishing touch.... they do some Jeff Beck and other very cool stuff in this jam session. A nice Van Halen bit starts @ 15:45....the Stranger right after that is killer.

Why settle for a copy when you can have the original.

Why settle for a copy when you can have the original.

Occasionally the tribute band manages to improve on the original though.
Like Brit Floyd ( "They perform some of our tunes better than we did. " David Gilmour on seeing Brit Floyd live in London)

I resided in Dallas (1987 - 2001) and saw Andy Timmons play nearly every week, for years, at Blue Cat Blues in Deep Ellum.

If Steve Vai says he's a badass I'll take your word for it too.

I have seen Steve on several occasions, even once in Deep Ellum @ Trees (first place I saw EJ play) but I much prefer & enjoy Andy's playing, especially live.

Live performance is where it's at IMO. Listening to a record, a recording, whatever is one thing but a live performance is where you can really find out what a musician is really about.

Take EJ for example: I saw him play live 14 times in the space of 29 months, and his performances will always be a bit different, as with most guitarist.
Also, IMO he plays at his best level when he is playing in Austin. I have seen EJ burn down Antone's a few times. LOL

If Steve Vai says he's a badass I'll take your word for it too.

I have seen Steve on several occasions, even once in Deep Ellum @ Trees (first place I saw EJ play) but I much prefer & enjoy Andy's playing, especially live.

Live performance is where it's at IMO. Listening to a record, a recording, whatever is one thing but a live performance is where you can really find out what a musician is really about.

Take EJ for example: I saw him play live 14 times in the space of 29 months, and his performances will always be a bit different, as with most guitarist.
Also, IMO he plays at his best level when he is playing in Austin. I have seen EJ burn down Antone's a few times. LOL

Vai impressed me at first, but his music lacks feeling or something. Did you get to see him with Mike Mangini and Tony Levin ? That must have been pretty good. But in that league of guitarists he doesn't make my top 20.

Forum List

Back