Cuteness Alert! new kids, 7 hours old

ozro

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2014
Off-grid Apache County, AZ
just to brighten everyone's spirit.
born this morning, a buck and a doe
half boer, mother "Susan"
half nubian, father "Boris"( killed by wolves)
Boris' bloodline lives, i am pleased about that.

i havn't named them yet but am leaning to "Buckwheat" and "Darla"

name suggestions welcome

Congratulations!! We have 10 new kids here. Three have names: Hazel (a runt from a litter of three), and Snowflake and Belle, named for their grannies. They are recruits to replace mortalities in our milking herd. The others will sacrifice themselves to help keep the others alive...
And you can't get any cuter than kids, can you?
Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_120632014-1603x2137.jpg
    IMG_20190429_120632014-1603x2137.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 158
i do keep goats for milk and meat, even if i treat them like pets. even my chickens and turkeys are tame spoiled things.
ever see a steer beg? lol.

I prefer La Manchas and La Mancha crosses here. Lots of ears freeze off when the kids are born and those long-eared breeds are at most risk. I try to breed for later kidding and the last batch was born two weeks ago. It still freezes at night but no so badly that the does can't get the kids cleaned up and warm enough not to freeze their ears off. Since I'm trying to build a dairy business, I do have to sell the culls, both doelings and bucklings. I also have to pay attention to genetics. I have two bucks to keep things varied enough to avoid inbreeding and I have to change them out every couple of years. But I love watching the kiddos. They are that cute. Not a lot of TV out this way, of course.

I prefer La Manchas and La Mancha crosses here. Lots of ears freeze off when the kids are born and those long-eared breeds are at most risk. I try to breed for later kidding and the last batch was born two weeks ago. It still freezes at night but no so badly that the does can't get the kids cleaned up and warm enough not to freeze their ears off. Since I'm trying to build a dairy business, I do have to sell the culls, both doelings and bucklings. I also have to pay attention to genetics. I have two bucks to keep things varied enough to avoid inbreeding and I have to change them out every couple of years. But I love watching the kiddos. They are that cute. Not a lot of TV out this way, of course.
I think our last freeze was almost 2 weeks ago. I usually dont keep bucklings unless i whether them, but i will keep this guy. i will just have to keep sis and momma seperate from him.

I think our last freeze was almost 2 weeks ago. I usually dont keep bucklings unless i whether them, but i will keep this guy. i will just have to keep sis and momma seperate from him.
Keeping him as a buck?

Keeping him as a buck?
yeah, his daddy was a beast. I have big hopes

I have one sister-brother pair and am careful to keep them apart during the rut. Fortunately, she matched up with my big Alpine buck and had two beautiful kids, one buckling, on doeling. But she's got a third teat (she was passed to me from a friend who was thinning her herd. I didn't know about the third teat until she arrived...the goat, not the friend). I cannot breed her kids for that reason. She's a great mom, though. She adopted a pair of orphans when she arrives last year.

Keeping him as a buck?
You're breeding purebred Boers?

Keeping him as a buck?

i have been. I have a boer buck named "one". he used to be "randy", but he tangled with coyotes one night and only has one eye, one ear and one nut. he still sure is randy though and still breeds

Keeping him as a buck?

i have been. I have a boer buck named "one". he used to be "randy", but he tangled with coyotes one night and only has one eye, one ear and one nut. he still sure is randy though and still breeds
Funny thing about goats, that "horny as a goat" thing...it's pretty true. I've had to fend off my boys when they're in the rut. I hate petting them although handling them keeps them manageable. They aren't rutty right now so they're pretty cool. Both respect the hell out of my tom turkey, though. That bastard is a pain in the butt. He doesn't care how big a buck you are...

i do keep goats for milk and meat, even if i treat them like pets. even my chickens and turkeys are tame spoiled things.
ever see a steer beg? lol.

you eat your pets?

gross.

I also have a share in a herd of Navajo-churro sheep. we keep them in the east klagetoh range, all the other owners are navajo. I am the token anglo. the herd is on the hogan well range.
turkeys always take charge, even my dogs back down.
Keeping him as a buck?

Funny thing about goats, that "horny as a goat" thing...it's pretty true. I've had to fend off my boys when they're in the rut. I hate petting them although handling them keeps them manageable. They aren't rutty right now so they're pretty cool. Both respect the hell out of my tom turkey, though. That bastard is a pain in the butt. He doesn't care how big a buck you are...

Forum List

Back