Crowds are dangerous.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I have always been leery of crowds. A crowd is a phenomenon that removes individual responsibility from the human equation and creates a Jekyll and Hide monster with a life of its own. Many years ago, in high school we had an assembly featuring some celebrity I have forgotten. It was a big high school with 1200 students, so the assembly was divided in half. Unfortunately, crowd control was not planned. The first assembly ended just as the buzzer alert for class changes went off. Hundreds of students spilled into corridors excitedly anticipating a show just as others were returning to homerooms. We could barely make it out the door of our classroom to get into the passing wave of bodies.

Fear gripped me as I realized my feet were not on the floor. I was being crushed from behind as I crushed people in front of me. I had no control of anything, there was nowhere to run. I could not breathe as I was carried by the mob. A quick-thinking janitor saw what was happening opened two large doors that were always closed. He saved my life and many others. The whole incident was kept under wraps and parents never heard a thing about it.

That was just one memory. I recall another incident where a local theater had a grand opening and was letting the first fifty people in free. My young wife and I got there too late, so we sat in our car and watched as the crowd surged pushing those in front through the plate glass windows.

Crowds are dangerous.

S. Korea in shock, grief as 153 die in Halloween crowd surge

Yes, they are. Which is why I always keep my distance and in those cases where I might be enclosed, know where your exits are and stay close to them. I got into that habit after The Station nightclub fire (no I wasn't there but I still can't listen to a Great White song). Or...you could be involved in a Pumpkin riot (Keene, NH - 2014)....I mean..pumpkins..:)

I have always been leery of crowds. A crowd is a phenomenon that removes individual responsibility from the human equation and creates a Jekyll and Hide monster with a life of its own. Many years ago, in high school we had an assembly featuring some celebrity I have forgotten. It was a big high school with 1200 students, so the assembly was divided in half. Unfortunately, crowd control was not planned. The first assembly ended just as the buzzer alert for class changes went off. Hundreds of students spilled into corridors excitedly anticipating a show just as others were returning to homerooms. We could barely make it out the door of our classroom to get into the passing wave of bodies.

Fear gripped me as I realized my feet were not on the floor. I was being crushed from behind as I crushed people in front of me. I had no control of anything, there was nowhere to run. I could not breathe as I was carried by the mob. A quick-thinking janitor saw what was happening opened two large doors that were always closed. He saved my life and many others. The whole incident was kept under wraps and parents never heard a thing about it.

That was just one memory. I recall another incident where a local theater had a grand opening and was letting the first fifty people in free. My young wife and I got there too late, so we sat in our car and watched as the crowd surged pushing those in front through the plate glass windows.

Crowds are dangerous.

You are correct. Even in controlled spaces checking out ways of egress is important with large crowds.

Crowds are dangerous.

This all stems from so-called "parents" not teaching their kids any manners, etiquette, responsbility, or social tools needed to function in public and society as a whole.

I've always been tall and "anchored". I can shove my way through any crowd if it comes down to that. I usually wont shove unless I'm shoved. And even doing just that, people will usually see what I'm doing and keep their distance, even in a "zombie" crowd scenario where they are crawling over each other.

Of course, YOU put yourself in that situation. So you should have been leery of even going to such a thing. School kids have the option of going to "detention" or home room and staying there if they are not interested in a school function like that.

You also ALWAYS sit in the back or stand in the back. So you are last in, but first OUT!!! If there is no alternative.

All my life, in any crowded sitution, it's been my instinct to sit in the back and be one of the first ones out the door.
I've avoided SO much hassle and having to intiate my "safe space protocol" when having to deal with crowded situations.

If you have little kids, put them on your shoulders and keep hold of their legs.
If you are with anyone else, grab each others pants bands and hold on. Getting separated is NOT what you want.
Older people need to walk like Siamese twins, arm in arm, and the woman needs to have her purse on the arm she's holding the other persons arm with. This helps keep the purse from being detached or stolen.

First and foremost, always make sure you aren't in a crowded place if you can't handle the amount of people there.
If you get caught in a "wave" of stupid sheeples.......work your way to a wall or corner and STAY THERE until it's died down.

Even though I've been the first out of a crowded situation before, the "wave" came before I could reach the outer door to the parking lot.
There was a space between a trash can and a concrete pillar, so I just stepped into it and waited out the crowd. It only took about 5 minutes. Same thing in the parking lot. Just get in your car and wait it out. Don't try and get into the lunatic lines of getting out of there.

You can apply much of the same to cities overall.
Cities are full of dependent sheeple &, like with any herd, they can be easily manipulated by fear & other conditioning into doing really stupid things that cause injury to themselves & others.

The sheer volume of the masses also facilitates an anonymous mentality conducive to crime.
It's easier to get away with anti-social & criminal behavior when you can blend back into the crowds.

Plus, outside of the cities, proggies are few & far between so the people you meet tend to be sane & grounded by reality.
That's the other major benefit

Cities are full of dependent sheeple &, like with any herd, they can be easily manipulated by fear & other conditioning into doing really stupid things that cause injury to themselves & others.

That's an unusual thing to say.

Could you explain?

You can apply much of the same to cities overall.

The sheer volume of the masses also facilitates an anonymous mentality conducive to crime.
It's easier to get away with anti-social & criminal behavior when you can blend back into the crowds.

Plus, outside of the cities, proggies are few & far between so the people you meet tend to be sane & grounded by reality.
That's the other major benefit
Thanks for the laughs since I can tell you do not live in a rural area, there are plenty of those types you meet in the cities just fewer of them, but none the less they are here.

Thanks for the laughs since I can tell you do not live in a rural area, there are plenty of those types you meet in the cities just fewer of them, but none the less they are here.
In any public situation check out the exits and ways to get out with the highest percentage of survivability in a bad situation.

And what happened on January 6? That’s right a violent crowd

Forum List

Back