Crowded by Coyotes, Red Foxes Moving to City

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Lots of information about red foxes with this article.

Crowded by Coyotes, Foxes Move to City
By Tim Evans, The Indianapolis Star
June 16, 2006

BROWNSBURG, Ind. -- Leisa Wagner has shared the backyard of her home with rabbits, squirrels and raccoons for years. Now a new breed has joined the menagerie of wildlife in Wagner's neighborhood: red foxes.

"We see them mainly from about April to early June. They are a lot of fun to watch, especially when the babies come out," she said. "You know when they are out there because the birds start making a lot of noise."

Wagner's home, in an older neighborhood on Brownsburg's southeastside, wouldn't seem like the kind of place foxes would set up home and raise their young. But a growing number of foxes are moving into towns across Indiana, said Wayne Bivans, chief of wildlife for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The abundance of mature trees and a drainage ditch that resembles a small creek in Wagner's neighborhood provide cover for them.

The shift is the result of the foxes being driven from rural habitats -- not by the encroachment of humans or new development, but by an expanding population of coyotes, he said.

for full article:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060616/NEWS01/606160501&SearchID=73248422016592

Adam's Apple said:
Lots of information about red foxes with this article.

Crowded by Coyotes, Foxes Move to City
By Tim Evans, The Indianapolis Star
June 16, 2006

BROWNSBURG, Ind. -- Leisa Wagner has shared the backyard of her home with rabbits, squirrels and raccoons for years. Now a new breed has joined the menagerie of wildlife in Wagner's neighborhood: red foxes.

"We see them mainly from about April to early June. They are a lot of fun to watch, especially when the babies come out," she said. "You know when they are out there because the birds start making a lot of noise."

Wagner's home, in an older neighborhood on Brownsburg's southeastside, wouldn't seem like the kind of place foxes would set up home and raise their young. But a growing number of foxes are moving into towns across Indiana, said Wayne Bivans, chief of wildlife for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The abundance of mature trees and a drainage ditch that resembles a small creek in Wagner's neighborhood provide cover for them.

The shift is the result of the foxes being driven from rural habitats -- not by the encroachment of humans or new development, but by an expanding population of coyotes, he said.

for full article:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060616/NEWS01/606160501&SearchID=73248422016592

That's happening in Texas too. I'm starting to see more and more fox in the greenbelt areas of Austin, while coyotes are eating the pets of those that live on the outskirts.

Oddly enough, I live way north of Boston and the coyotes are getting thick up here too. Not around my little piece of real estate because some cranky old guy keeps shooting them (that would be me), but I have seen them even in the downtown city parks.

CSM said:
Oddly enough, I live way north of Boston and the coyotes are getting thick up here too. Not around my little piece of real estate because <b>some cranky old guy keeps shooting them</b> (that would be me), but I have seen them even in the downtown city parks.

*scowl* They're cute!

We’ve been seeing a few young black bear show up in the Northern suburbs of Atlanta every spring-early summer, for the last few years.. Indication of habitat lose, probably. The Atlanta sprawl has almost reached the North Ga Mountains.
Very sad.

Shattered said:
*scowl* They're cute!
Cranky old guys ARE cute! Thanks for noticing!

As for the coyotes, they kind of pissed me off when they ate my two little dogs. That was war, right then and there.

Forum List

Back