Critical Cotton Picking Theory - RCSD teacher on leave after controversial lesson

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
RCSD teacher on leave after controversial lesson

Rochester, N.Y. — A teacher at School of the Arts is on leave while the school and district investigate one of his seventh-grade Social Studies lessons.

Some students say they were sent home with cotton after having to pick out the seeds. Some parents and students say the lesson went too far.

Precious Morris is the mother of a SOTA student. She says her daughter, Ja'Nasia Brown, showed a piece of the cotton, sharing that it was part of a lesson on slavery in her Social Studies class.

"I am angry, I am upset, I am appalled," explained Morris. "I am behooved that my child was forced to pick out of cotton. It is very unacceptable."

LOL....Poor Precious.....Well, it could have been worse. :laughing0301:

Interesting enough we had to do this in middle school when I was a kid. It actually is a very hands-on way to make one feel empathy for the slaves and poor people. It also helped us understand why the cotton gin changed the world.

Interesting enough we had to do this in middle school when I was a kid. It actually is a very hands-on way to make one feel empathy for the slaves and poor people. It also helped us understand why the cotton gin changed the world.
You know I think we had the same thing in our middle-school Virginia History class.....Something to do with how the cotton bolls would lacerate the fingers.

Last edited:
Same here. We went to the gin and saw the processed cotton, mountains o' seed and some modern picking machines. The lesson had nothing to do with slavery.

Forum List

Back