CRIKEY!! "Crocodile Hunter" killed by stingray.

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

It's very sad. When I heard he'd been killed, I thought it was by one of those crocidiles he was always playing around with.

I suppose it was inevitable, the man took far too many chances. I feel sorry for his wife and two children.

A friend of mine just sent me a link to the story. I can't believe he died! He was an icon to my generation!

You beat me to it! This is the first news story I saw this a.m. Very sad. But was kind of inevitable. My husband always said he was gonna get killed and the way he handled the animals made him so crazy that he couldn't watch him.... said he took far too many chances and ticked off the animals instead of handling them carefully. But I liked his energy. He was fun to watch.

On thing I am told... stingrays are generally very passive creatures. This type of thing is very, very rare.

Sad still.... :eek:

Intelligent people don't mess around with wild animals. They are ALWAYS potentially dangerous. He probably got away with it so many times he thought he was invincible. Think again mate!

Intelligent people don't mess around with wild animals. They are ALWAYS potentially dangerous. He probably got away with it so many times he thought he was invincible. Think again mate!

I dunno. Lots of smart people work with animals. My husband was a large mammal keeper for about 8 years and loved it. But he always knew he could get killed and didn't take unnecessary chances. On the other hand, he left because he didn't want to leave our son without a father. So there ya go.

I dunno. Lots of smart people work with animals. My husband was a large mammal keeper for about 8 years and loved it. But he always knew he could get killed and didn't take unnecessary chances. On the other hand, he left because he didn't want to leave our son without a father. So there ya go.

Working with animals is one thing, goofing around with them to attract attention to oneself is another. My wife works with animals as well and puts herself at risk but not unnecessarily so.

You beat me to it! This is the first news story I saw this a.m. Very sad. But was kind of inevitable. My husband always said he was gonna get killed and the way he handled the animals made him so crazy that he couldn't watch him.... said he took far too many chances and ticked off the animals instead of handling them carefully. But I liked his energy. He was fun to watch.

On thing I am told... stingrays are generally very passive creatures. This type of thing is very, very rare.

Sad still.... :eek:

I couldn't watch him either. I remember him screwing around with a taipan (the world's most venomous snake) and was playing with it.... the guy was nuts.

Sting rays only attack when provoked.... so, he either accidentally stepped on one or was screwing around with it and got it pissed off, I wonder which one? :rolleyes:

I couldn't watch him either. I remember him screwing around with a taipan (the world's most venomous snake) and was playing with it.... the guy was nuts.

Sting rays only attack when provoked.... so, he either accidentally stepped on one or was screwing around with it and got it pissed off, I wonder which one? :rolleyes:

I figure he got it really, really pissed off. Still feel bad for his kids. On the other hand, the guy had a great time while he was alive.

I figure he got it really, really pissed off. Still feel bad for his kids. On the other hand, the guy had a great time while he was alive.

you have to give the man credit.... he was very enthusiatic about what he did and obviously loved his job. I just hope there are crocs in heaven for his sake!

you have to give the man credit.... he was very enthusiatic about what he did and obviously loved his job. I just hope there are crocs in heaven for his sake!

The man had passion that he acted on and a great sense of humor--a rare quality these days! I'll miss him

I like the one where his wife layed down among a bunch of wolves. When they started sniffing and circling her as though she was prey, what does Steve say "they're falling for it. You must smell like a dead carcass". Or something like that. :laugh:

It's very sad. When I heard he'd been killed, I thought it was by one of those crocidiles he was always playing around with.

I suppose it was inevitable, the man took far too many chances. I feel sorry for his wife and two children.

dang...i loved watching croc hunter...i remember the episode where he got bit by a poisonous snake and almost died then...

he had 2 kids? i thought they only had the one little girl...name was Suey or something? I know they named her after their dog... i wonder if his wife will move back here after all this.

The man had passion that he acted on and a great sense of humor--a rare quality these days! I'll miss him

To tell you the truth, so will I. I'd like to add that although he was a crazy so and so, it was hard not to like the guy, regardless of his eccentricities.

I like the one where his wife layed down among a bunch of wolves. When they started sniffing and circling her as though she was prey, what does Steve say "they're falling for it. You must smell like a dead carcass". Or something like that. :laugh:
Yes, the way to a woman's heart, throw her to the wolves and tell her she smells bad...

Very sad.

I liked the guy. He had an entertainment and teaching angle in what he did,
He was an expert with crocs and snakes, IMO.

I understand from one report I read he was making a documentary on “Dangerous Sea Creatures”, I guess he found em. Maybe out of his area of expertise?

This reminds me of the phrase “If you play with fire, you’re going to get burnt”.

Ya know, I think he knew that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back