Crate training

We - or should I say "I" - tried crate training my dog when he was a pup. It was such a racket. He HATED being in the crate. He would bark and bark and bark all night. We had to put him in a far bathroom, close all the doors, and turn fans on so we could sleep at night. Then, I had to get up in the middle of the night to let him out to go to the washroom. Every single night, I'd get up between 3am and 4am to let him out. Of course, he'd want to play and resisted getting back into the cage. Exhausted, I'd finally get him in, and try to get another hour or two of sleep.

This went on for 3-4 weeks, and he was starting to get used to it. Then, I went on a business trip for 4 days, and when I got back, he was sleeping on the bed during the night with my wife.

And that was that.

Crates may be appropriate for some breeds, but others are meant to run. Matching your dog to your lifestyle seems best. In my case, I suggest a cat for obvious reasons.

Ok she's doing well with the crate, is much more at home in it and goes in willingly. We will work again on the jumping thing tomorrow....we've been working on waiting in the crate after I open the door, for permission to come out. She's much calmer and no non accidental accidents in my room for a couple of days. She's doing pretty well, no complaints.

We - or should I say "I" - tried crate training my dog when he was a pup. It was such a racket. He HATED being in the crate. He would bark and bark and bark all night. We had to put him in a far bathroom, close all the doors, and turn fans on so we could sleep at night. Then, I had to get up in the middle of the night to let him out to go to the washroom. Every single night, I'd get up between 3am and 4am to let him out. Of course, he'd want to play and resisted getting back into the cage. Exhausted, I'd finally get him in, and try to get another hour or two of sleep.

This went on for 3-4 weeks, and he was starting to get used to it. Then, I went on a business trip for 4 days, and when I got back, he was sleeping on the bed during the night with my wife.

And that was that.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I gave up too and had much the same experience as you. But I'm doing it again because I just can't have her pissing all over the carpet the second I step away....and that is what she does. I also have to be able to safely restrain her when little kids or people with dogs visit. She bites kids if they mess with her, and she fights...and causes fights...among other dogs.

She is da devil.

She does sleep with me, but the crate is by my bed. I put her in it when I'm moving around, I feed her treats in it, and we have informal sessions where she is in it with the door open until I let her come out. I praise her a lot for going in,I praise her for being calm and quiet, I don't reward her or let her out when she's excited or barking. And it's working.

She still barks when she's in the crate and I'm elsewhere in the house...but she's getting better.

Crates may be appropriate for some breeds, but others are meant to run. Matching your dog to your lifestyle seems best. In my case, I suggest a cat for obvious reasons.
I think it's very important to really engage the minds of certain breeds. I know if I spend just twenty minutes doing something specific with her (not just hanging out, or walking outside with her) her whole mien is a lot less manic for the day.

Cleaning up poop or pee is pretty specific.
If hours and degree of difficulty translated into experience and union classification....I would be journeyman. If it translated into credit hours I'd have a doctorate.

Well she's doing okay. She still whines and barks if she's in the crate and I'm in the house which is a pain in the ass because the reason I need her crate trained is so that I can put her up when my mother comes to visit with her two antique poodles. I'm not having much luck getting her to be quiet.

I worked a few minutes with her this morning, trying to teach her to jump through my arms. Not super successful so far, she's soooo stubborn, makes me insane. She jumps all OVER the place until she thinks you might want her to, then she sulls up.

Try teaching her to jump over a stick first. I did that with Rue:
I set up a jump (a pole on two supports like a couple of books - sat next to it, and used a treat to lure him over each way, telling him "hup" - that taught him the cue.
Then I transitioned to a stick I'm holding in one hand, teaching her to jump over that (he had a little trouble so I made it easier by first positioning the stick against a wall so he couldn't go around it).
Then made it my arm instead of a stick.
Then, I brought the other arm over to make a circle.
Then, I did it standing up.

:)
I'm doing this tomorrow. I may coach the girl to do it, too.

She's the human equivalent of a PRT. That's why I got mylo in the first place. I needed a dog that could mirror her energy, defend itself....but not be able to kill her (my daughter).

Mylos state of being is alert alert alert.
WP_20151115_002.jpg

Even high-energy dogs like to have a private, safe space they can sleep in, and can benefit from learning to be comfortable with a crate, for those occasions when one is necessary. God knows, Malcolm borders on hyper, and he still likes his crate.

Mylo is hyper active and my hope is that the crate will help interrupt that manic behavior.

Mylo did great over the holiday. My mom came to visit with poodles and we accommodated everybody and Mylo was calm and relaxed about being in the crate.

It seriously was a vast improvement over the past. Now guests are gone and things are back to normal, I'm very proud of her. She had Thanksgiving yummies too....

Forum List

Back