Covid spike reignites sovereignty debate among Native Hawaiians

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
This has been simmering for a while....the issue..should we turn back the clock..and return Hawaii to the natives? Entirely? Or...should we grant some sort of legal acknowledgement--that would allow special confederation for Hawaiian natives..while still keeping Hawaii as a state?

Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders have been reeling from a brutal summer of rising Covid-19 cases and a resource-crippling wave of over-tourism. The crisis has brought attention to a contentious decades-old campaign for federal recognition of a Native Hawaiian government that’s gained strong political support in the past year.

a group of people standing in a parking lot
© Provided by NBC News
For both supporters and critics of a new Native Hawaiian government, the pandemic has become a platform to build their case for either much-needed economic relief or full separation from the U.S.
In December, after Democrats secured unified control of the White House and Congress, Joe Biden, then the president-elect, backed legislation to re-establish a government-to-government relationship with Native Hawaiians and Alaska Natives — an effort that gained steam during the Obama administration but stalled after former President Donald Trump was elected.
Hawaii’s four-member congressional delegation has expressed support for a federally recognized government. But the issue is more contentious among Native Hawaiian activists, some of whom say the effort will allow them to lobby for more resources while others argue it will thwart the sovereignty movement, a grassroots campaign to establish an independent Hawaiian nation.
“There’s a huge split between those who literally want to have a Native governing entity with limited autonomy that’s subordinate to the U.S. nation-state and those who want the U.S. out of Hawaii,” said J. Kēhaulani Kauanui, an American studies professor at Wesleyan University and author of “Hawaiian Blood: Colonialism and the Politics of Sovereignty and Indigeneity.”

Let them secede if the people want it.
Yeah...the issue is, in this case, that the 'people' probably don't..while a minority..the native population--might be in favor. They are also split..between those who want the whole pineapple, as it were..and those that just want the same position as other native tribes throughout the US..limited sovereignty and a hook to hang funds and resources on.

B. Hussein O has been discovered to be a native born Hawaiian.

Should he be expelled from America if the state is expelled from the USA?
Native born does not equal native~
I imagine, in the highly unlikely event of secession, current American citizens would be grandfathered in....

I think I found the reason for the spike...hint...it ain't the howlies in D.C...it's your jaw muscles.

I never saw stretch marks on ankles till I went to Hawaii.

1630330682749.png

hooki i ka ʻai ʻana, hoki momona

This has been simmering for a while....the issue..should we turn back the clock..and return Hawaii to the natives? Entirely? Or...should we grant some sort of legal acknowledgement--that would allow special confederation for Hawaiian natives..while still keeping Hawaii as a state?

Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders have been reeling from a brutal summer of rising Covid-19 cases and a resource-crippling wave of over-tourism. The crisis has brought attention to a contentious decades-old campaign for federal recognition of a Native Hawaiian government that’s gained strong political support in the past year.

© Provided by NBC News
For both supporters and critics of a new Native Hawaiian government, the pandemic has become a platform to build their case for either much-needed economic relief or full separation from the U.S.
In December, after Democrats secured unified control of the White House and Congress, Joe Biden, then the president-elect, backed legislation to re-establish a government-to-government relationship with Native Hawaiians and Alaska Natives — an effort that gained steam during the Obama administration but stalled after former President Donald Trump was elected.
Hawaii’s four-member congressional delegation has expressed support for a federally recognized government. But the issue is more contentious among Native Hawaiian activists, some of whom say the effort will allow them to lobby for more resources while others argue it will thwart the sovereignty movement, a grassroots campaign to establish an independent Hawaiian nation.
“There’s a huge split between those who literally want to have a Native governing entity with limited autonomy that’s subordinate to the U.S. nation-state and those who want the U.S. out of Hawaii,” said J. Kēhaulani Kauanui, an American studies professor at Wesleyan University and author of “Hawaiian Blood: Colonialism and the Politics of Sovereignty and Indigeneity.”
Less than 1% are purely Hawaiian, the rest are a bastardization of various ethnic groups.

Good, and we can be rid of that Senator Mazzie Dingbat.
Yea, the Dims will never go along with losing any Congressional seats

Besides, letting a state secede would open a bag of worms and we all know how power hungry the DNC is.

At best, they will teach children that the white Americans are evil for taking their country so as to teach Hawaiian children of color that they should feel the perpetual victim and white children should feel perpetual shame.

Meanwhile, the DNC will do NOTHING to remedy any injustices.

© Provided by NBC News

That debate has been going on for a long time in Hawaii.

I consider Maui my second home. I've been going there since the 80s.

In the last decade I've seen more Hawaiian people who want the same status as the native Indians in America.

I've also seen signs in front of property that said "reclaimed by Hawaiian people."

I was on Maui last month. For the first time I saw huge writing on the side of a building that said WE ARE NOT AMERICANS.

I should have photographed it. I meant to and passed by it many times. If it's still there the next time I go I'll photograph it.

I agree with the Hawaiians. They should have the same status as native American Indians.

The more our nation becomes governed by the minority republicans, the more those republicans make life worse for all of America, the more the Hawaiians will want to leave America.

It's a big subject there. They are like me, don't want to be governed by the minority. That's not what a democratic republic is.

© Provided by NBC News
Money GRAB----this is about money.

As a taxpayer, an INDIAN taxpayer no less, I am tired of this shit. No more special rules for special idiots and no more special money for special idiots. Everyone should be treated equally.

That debate has been going on for a long time in Hawaii.

I consider Maui my second home. I've been going there since the 80s.

In the last decade I've seen more Hawaiian people who want the same status as the native Indians in America.

I've also seen signs in front of property that said "reclaimed by Hawaiian people."

I was on Maui last month. For the first time I saw huge writing on the side of a building that said WE ARE NOT AMERICANS.

I should have photographed it. I meant to and passed by it many times. If it's still there the next time I go I'll photograph it.

I agree with the Hawaiians. They should have the same status as native American Indians.

The more our nation becomes governed by the minority republicans, the more those republicans make life worse for all of America, the more the Hawaiians will want to leave America.

It's a big subject there. They are like me, don't want to be governed by the minority. That's not what a democratic republic is.

I bet you're okay with a small minority paying the government spending tab...

Forum List

Back