COVID Relief Bill snags in Senate over UE beneits

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Democratic drama over unemployment benefits is snagging the Senate’s coronavirus relief debate.

The Senate has been stuck in a state of limbo for hours as senators try to figure out the path forward on 10 weekly unemployment payments.

Senators have filed two competing unemployment proposals: One, from Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), would provide $300 per week through mid-July, a significantly shorter timeline than what’s supported by most Democrats.

The second, from Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), would provide a $300 weekly payment through September.

That’s a change from the House bill, which provided $400 per week through August. But Democrats unveiled the agreement earlier Friday, characterizing it as a deal worked out by their moderate and progressive factions.

The question is going to be whether the House Dems will accept whatever the Senate finally comes up with. If not, this thing could drag on awhile.

Plus, I'm wondering about the $350 bil to state and local gov'ts, I've not read anything about that. The package includes $350 billion in aid designed to replenish tax revenue collections that decreased during the pandemic so states and local governments can pay employees and take care of core services. Except I'm reading that revenues didn't really decrease much.

Last edited:
Democratic drama over unemployment benefits is snagging the Senate’s coronavirus relief debate.

The Senate has been stuck in a state of limbo for hours as senators try to figure out the path forward on 10 weekly unemployment payments.

Senators have filed two competing unemployment proposals: One, from Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), would provide $300 per week through mid-July, a significantly shorter timeline than what’s supported by most Democrats.

The second, from Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), would provide a $300 weekly payment through September.

That’s a change from the House bill, which provided $400 per week through August. But Democrats unveiled the agreement earlier Friday, characterizing it as a deal worked out by their moderate and progressive factions.

The question is going to be whether the House Dems will accept whatever the Senate finally comes up with. If not, this thing could drag on awhile.

Plus, I'm wondering about the $350 bil to states and locals, I've not read anything about that.

Wow, debating and sending the modified bill back to the house. What a concept. It's been at least 4 years since that it's been done that way.

The Democrats have the Presidency, the House, and the Senate.

They had just one job, and they can't seem to even accomplish that.

:laughing0301:

This is seriously the most benign drama ever.

$300 vs $400. July vs September.

Oh no, how will they ever come to terms with these irreconcilable differences?

Plus, I'm wondering about the $350 bil to state and local gov'ts, I've not read anything about that. The package includes $350 billion in aid designed to replenish tax revenue collections that decreased during the pandemic so states and local governments can pay employees and take care of core services. Except I'm reading that revenues didn't really decrease much.
As I understand it there are many more, perhaps hundreds of amendments to be proposed, debated and voted upon by the Senate before the vote on the bill (as amended) takes place.

I had been watching the Senate on C-SPAN2 until there came a vote on Bernie Sanders' amendment concerning the $15/hr minimum wage. The voe tally reached 42 Yes and 58 No and stayed there for well over an hour before I switched to watching reruns of Perry Mason...far more interesting and entertaining.

The vote on Bernie's wet dream started at 11:03AM this morning. It is now 7:03PM and the vote (Failure by 42 to 58) has yet to be announced. What a waste of time and money our Senate is.

The Democrats have the Presidency, the House, and the Senate.

They had just one job, and they can't seem to even accomplish that.

:laughing0301:

You have the party of NO. And have for at least 10 years. But I am not having a big problem with this. It's part of Governing when the Senate sends a corrected bill back to the house and the house sends a corrected bill back to the senate until both get on the same page. That's the way it was figured by our Founding Fathers and worked for over 200 years until you party of the NO came along.

Forum List

Back