COVID-19: Permanent changes in spending habits

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Some changes in consumer spending may become permanent because of COVID-19.

In normal times, my husband and I spend a shocking amount of our income on restaurants, concerts and shows. Like everyone else, we stopped in March. And we are both surprised by how little we miss it all — and how much we are saving. — Linda Stern, AARP Bulletin, December 2020

If this quote reveals a widespread trend, what can be done to help people who are losing their jobs in entertainment and the other service industries? They can’t all find jobs in AMAZON warehouses. Do we keep extending unemployment benefits?

Joe Biden saved a cool million dollars from living in his basement and not vacationing at lavish resorts around the world

It makes that 10% he was getting from his son and other members of his family from corrupt Ukrainian and Chinese corporations seem as though he could live on that alone.

If this quote reveals a widespread trend, what can be done to help people who are losing their jobs in entertainment and the other service industries?
Our friend Moonglow the lib
1607969980044.jpeg
does not care

he tells us he doesnt get haircuts so to hell with the barbers

to answer your question reopen the economy

if some people no longer want to attend theaters to watch the marxist sodomite trash coming out of hollywood too bad

but at least workers will have a fighting chance to provide for themselves again

Last edited:

In normal times, my husband and I spend a shocking amount of our income on restaurants, concerts and shows. Like everyone else, we stopped in March. And we are both surprised by how little we miss it all — and how much we are saving. — Linda Stern, AARP Bulletin, December 2020

If this quote reveals a widespread trend, what can be done to help people who are losing their jobs in entertainment and the other service industries? They can’t all find jobs in AMAZON warehouses. Do we keep extending unemployment benefits?
Not surprise reset in spending patterns. We used to travel, eat out, lease vacation homes and fly to distant locations. Now our home grocery bill is higher, as we still like to eat well. I think we will go back to normal when we get around to being on a group that can get the vaccine.

Considering that entertainment is obsessed with getting drunk, getting high and wants everybody to become a cross-dressing homosexual, I'm glad the scumbags are burning.

Not surprise reset in spending patterns. We used to travel, eat out, lease vacation homes and fly to distant locations. Now our home grocery bill is higher, as we still like to eat well. I think we will go back to normal when we get around to being on a group that can get the vaccine.
Why is your grocery bill higher?

30 days to form a habit.

Many spending habits are broken.

A high percentage of authoritarian-closed businesses will never re-open.

There'll be no need for them as people have already formed their "new" shopping habits and will stay with them. The key for surviving businesses is to avoid driving away your "new" customers down the road.

We are eating at home more, and eating more expensive menu items more often as we do not go out to eat in at nice restaurants. PJ doing more experimental recipes calling for specific ingredients, not usually stocked by us. Just two of us, but not uncommon to have a $200.00 weakly grocery trip, as prices seem to have risen on many items, also.

We are eating at home more, and eating more expensive menu items more often as we do not go out to eat in at nice restaurants. PJ doing more experimental recipes calling for specific ingredients, not usually stocked by us. Just two of us, but not uncommon to have a $200.00 weakly grocery trip, as prices seem to have risen on many items, also.
Our food bills went up because we went on a no oil, plant based diet.
Mt wife's arthritis disappeared and we both lost 20 pounds.
We had to revamp our kitchen with new, state of the art, cooking equipment.

Our food bills went up because we went on a no oil, plant based diet.
Mt wife's arthritis disappeared and we both lost 20 pounds.
We had to revamp our kitchen with new, state of the art, cooking equipment.
Similar here. She has been doing more dietary things to avoid weight gain for her. Sometimes double menus, as I am not on any diet. Now she is into homemade breads and rolls. We are always keeping, not only margarine, but both salted and unsalted butter for her recipes, and the condiment/spice drawer runneth over. Her dough machine is her favorite new appliance. She tries to stay diet, while I get to eat like a king at home on her new cooking as a hobby thing. I do not complain at the bill, as the prime beneficiary. Funny though. If recipe calls for it and the picture and description sounds good, the imported Italian tomatoes are as good as bought and we now stock several imported extra virgin olive oils.

Forum List

Back