Court to hear arguments on campus Christian group

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a case that pits nondiscrimination policies against freedom of religion, the Supreme Court is grappling with whether universities and colleges can deny official recognition to Christian student groups that refuse to let non-Christians and gays join.

The high court was to hear arguments Monday from the Christian Legal Society at the University of California's Hastings College of the Law. The Christian group said its constitutional freedoms of speech, religion and association were violated when it was denied recognition as a student group by the San Francisco-based school.

The group has made this argument at several universities around the nation with mixed results. The high court's decision could set a national standard for universities and colleges to follow when Christian and other groups that want to exclude certain people apply for money and recognition from the school.

Hastings said it turned the Christian Legal Society down because all recognized campus groups, which are eligible for financing and other benefits, may not exclude people due to religious belief, sexual orientation and other reasons.

The Christian group requires that voting members sign a statement of faith. The group also regards "unrepentant participation in or advocacy of a sexually immoral lifestyle" as being inconsistent with the statement of faith.

FOXNews.com - Court to hear arguments on campus Christian group

It will be interesting to see how the Court rules. I wonder if this will apply to private schools as well.

No student organization should be allowed to refuse people based on relgion or sexual orientation as this group would. If such were the case the money students have to pay every year to the school as an activity fee would go to help funding student groups that will not allow them admittance. Christian Legal Society should openly admit everyone into there little group or they can go totally unaffiliated with the univeristy and make it their own little private club.

No student organization should be allowed to refuse people based on relgion or sexual orientation as this group would. If such were the case the money students have to pay every year to the school as an activity fee would go to help funding student groups that will not allow them admittance. Christian Legal Society should openly admit everyone into there little group or they can go totally unaffiliated with the univeristy and make it their own little private club.

By that logic the campus NAACP would have to allow a KKK member into the group if he wanted in, and would have to let him be able to run for officer.

What is it with queers anyway?

Why would anyone want to join a group that doesn't want you?

I seriously doubt there are too many non-Christians that are trying to join, so it must be the gays. And if tolerance is what you seek, how about you stop acting like intolerable douchers, mmkay?

I seriously doubt there are too many non-Christians that are trying to join, so it must be the gays. And if tolerance is what you seek, how about you stop acting like intolerable douchers, mmkay?

Seems to me there is only one "intolerable doucher" around here . . .

By that logic the campus NAACP would have to allow a KKK member into the group if he wanted in, and would have to let him be able to run for officer.

Yes. And your point is?

Yes. And your point is?

That the NAACP on campus should be able to restrict who joins. That the person joining should agree with the groups purpose. The Christian group wants to restrict its members to those who believe in the goals of the group. Thier verison of christianity sees homosexuality as a sin.

The question then devolves to do they deserve funding as a campus group? My argument is that it doesnt matter that the member qualifications are based on religion. If the theoretical NAACP group can ban people of a certian viewpoint from membership and still get funding, then the christian group should as well.

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Christian Legal Society and rules that schools must allow groups that discriminate on the basis of say religion, sexual orientation or race, should schools fund for a group, lets call it the League for the Advancement of Aryan Society and Principles, to charter a bus to D.C. to protest outside the holocaust museum?

And yes I understand both scenarios are ridiculous. Do you?

My argument is that it doesnt matter that the member qualifications are based on religion. If the theoretical NAACP group can ban people of a certian viewpoint from membership and still get funding, then the christian group should as well.

Separate but equal? Not equal. Brown v. Board of Education, I believe . . .

The op I read said the school turned down official recognition based on the group's discrimination rules. What op are you responding to?

Seems to me there is only one "intolerable doucher" around here . . .

You clearly don't pay very close attention. ;)

Court to hear arguments on campus Christian group

I can't wait until Muslim groups are forced by the US government to accept gays into their club. I predict a wave of beheadings.

Are these muslim groups university recognized student organizations that recieve benefits and funding on college campuses?

There are many at various Universities across the country. However, I do not know if they put a restriction on who can and can't be a member. Muslims are already discriminated against in the US by not allowing Muslim men to marry more than 1 woman. I can only imagine what will happen when the student groups are required to accept gays. This should be fun to watch.

My hunch is that the Christian group will lose this battle because public funding is involved.

No gay Christians?

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Christian Legal Society and rules that schools must allow groups that discriminate on the basis of say religion, sexual orientation or race, should schools fund for a group, lets call it the League for the Advancement of Aryan Society and Principles, to charter a bus to D.C. to protest outside the holocaust museum?

And yes I understand both scenarios are ridiculous. Do you?

That the group is allowed to discriminate for its membership is not the question. Right of association is allowed in all cases. The question is if they can get funding from the college.

The court question really only applies as the discrimination has a religious base. The school is using the separation clause, as a public univeristy as a basis of its denial. Had a secular group had the same restrictions it probably wouldnt have as much of a case, as it would be violating the first amendment right to speech and association.

The group is not doing anything illegal. Denying funding by saying they discriminate is also discriminating against them based on thier religion.

No one is denied membership, but only those that sign the pledge can vote. Seems fair to me.

And yes, there are many Muslim groups on campuses. I imagine it's the same type of situation. No one probably gives a hoot except those activist gays. Just sayin..

New Topics

Forum List

Back