Court Ruling that may affect the Washington Redskins name

TooTall

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2013
Federal Circuit Court ruled Tuesday that the federal government can not ban or censor offensive speech in trademarks under protection of the First Amendment, according to Law360.com

The ruling vacated the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s decision to refuse registration to a band called The Slants on the grounds the name would be offensive to Asian-Americans. The ruling could benefit the Washington Redskins, who have filed an appeal to uphold their trademark.

“Many of the marks rejected as disparaging convey hurtful speech that harms members of oft-stigmatized communities,” the appeals court said in a statement. “But the First Amendment protects even hurtful speech. The government cannot refuse to register disparaging marks because it disapproved of the expressive messages conveyed by the marks.”

Judge: Censoring trademarks unconstitutional

Meh...they try to kill off the Redskins every year. Woo Woo...ain't gonna happen!

Bonzi, you are a 'Skins fan too.

Man...do you have any faults?
her hands aren't very manly. sorry bro..

oh? You saw that? Wanna see my feet too?
I do!

I still need to post my newspaper pic, my butt pic now feet ... the list grows!
Everytime I have a good hair day, I forget - guess I need to get a pedicure for the feets!
LOL...as soon as you post any pic...the lady giraffes are gonna attack.

Bonzi, you are a 'Skins fan too.

Man...do you have any faults?
her hands aren't very manly. sorry bro..

oh? You saw that? Wanna see my feet too?
I do!

I still need to post my newspaper pic, my butt pic now feet ... the list grows!
Everytime I have a good hair day, I forget - guess I need to get a pedicure for the feets!
LOL...as soon as you post any pic...the lady giraffes are gonna attack.

I should get ultra-slutty! Just for kicks!

Forum List

Back