Court: Ordinance restricting day laborers' speech unconstitutional~

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Interesting case. Seems it was argued in favor of immigrants, but I suppose it could affect anyone looking for work these days.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down as unconstitutional an ordinance in a southern California town that prevented day laborers on public sidewalks from soliciting work from passing drivers.

"Because the ordinance is not narrowly tailored to achieve the city's goals, it is facially unconstitutional," the court said in a 9-2 decision.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, MALDEF, called the decision "precedent-setting."

Court: Ordinance restricting day laborers' speech unconstitutional - CNN.com

Interesting case. Seems it was argued in favor of immigrants, but I suppose it could affect anyone looking for work these days.
It has nothing to do with "day laborers" or "people looking for work". Gov'ts simply cannot make laws restricting ANYONES freedom of speech. If you come in my house I can restrict your speech, but not the gov't.

MALDEF says this is "precedent setting" but they are wrong.

It has nothing to do with "day laborers" or "people looking for work". Gov'ts simply cannot make laws restricting ANYONES freedom of speech. If you come in my house I can restrict your speech, but not the gov't.

MALDEF says this is "precedent setting" but they are wrong.

Yes, this is true. But the case was argued on behalf of day laborers specifically.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down as unconstitutional an ordinance in a southern California town that prevented day laborers on public sidewalks from soliciting work from passing drivers.

"Because the ordinance is not narrowly tailored to achieve the city's goals, it is facially unconstitutional," the court said in a 9-2 decision.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, MALDEF, called the decision "precedent-setting."

Court: Ordinance restricting day laborers' speech unconstitutional - CNN.com

More of these type of 'precedent-settings' will send this country to it's grave. I give it at least another 10 years and it will be all over.

Forum List

Back