Count the ways...

Oh, for crying out loud......
Give me a friggen break..

You remember the movie, White men can't jump.....
Now I was REAL offended over that!:rolleyes:

:wine:

Did you actually see that movie?

Yeah, I saw the movie a long time ago...

I was more referring to the title of the movie, inferring that whites can't play basketball like blacks can....

And what about Bryant Gumballs comments last winter, about the winter olympics??
I don't remember his exact words, but something to the effect that they were all white athletes. Like it's the white persons fault that blacks don't snow ski..

The truth is.....whites are better at some sports, and blacks are better at some... Whats so hard to see about that....

And for someone to be upset over a statement about someone swimming is well, ridiculous....

Its really stupid for any politician to say anything that we all know will be blown out of proportion.

As for the comment itself, whoopty shit, unbelievable how people get bent out of shape over some stupid comment.

Yeah, I saw the movie a long time ago...

I was more referring to the title of the movie, inferring that whites can't play basketball like blacks can....
So you know that was the point of the movie then, using that stereotype to hussle people. Using that movie's title is probably the most used incorrect example of a racial stereotype.

It means that blacks, as a group, are neither good swimmers nor bad swimmers. Some have those skills, some don't... like any other group.
It means blacks generally don't participate in swimming as much as whites do. I've swam against all-black swim teams, and they can swim just fine. It's not a question of potential ability as it is interest.

It means blacks generally don't participate in swimming as much as whites do. I've swam against all-black swim teams, and they can swim just fine. It's not a question of potential ability as it is interest.

I think it's probably still a demographic fact that most blacks live in either urban or rural areas. Most of these areas do not provide the swim lessons that suburban kids gravitate towards, which are easily accessible and affordable.

My parents grew up in the city, my dad close to Lake Michigan. He wanted a summer job, so he got through the lifesaving course, to become a lifeguard.

My mom, West Side, just west of what was Cabrini Green. She never went swimming. She was scared to death when my brother and I both were in deep water and off diving boards by 4. Thank you dad!

It might be a better generalization than saying 'blacks can't swim' to say, 'many people raised in the cities or rural areas, lack the opportunities provided most suburban people regarding public swimming pools and affordable swim lessons.'

I think it's probably still a demographic fact that most blacks live in either urban or rural areas. Most of these areas do not provide the swim lessons that suburban kids gravitate towards, which are easily accessible and affordable.

My parents grew up in the city, my dad close to Lake Michigan. He wanted a summer job, so he got through the lifesaving course, to become a lifeguard.

My mom, West Side, just west of what was Cabrini Green. She never went swimming. She was scared to death when my brother and I both were in deep water and off diving boards by 4. Thank you dad!

It might be a better generalization than saying 'blacks can't swim' to say, 'many people raised in the cities or rural areas, lack the opportunities provided most suburban people regarding public swimming pools and affordable swim lessons.'

I'm afraid I don't agree. There are plenty of school pools and community pools even in urban and rural areas.

New Topics

Forum List

Back