Coulter Column: How Do I Hate Soccer? Let Me Count the Ways...

it's a column touting her ignorance of the game. as a recent convert, i understand her feelings, but anyone who watched the germany-usa game today can't claim that there was no athleticism, heroes, or drama in that game.

I think that if there is a point, it is that soccer, despite being "loved" by billions of humans, is a pretty lame sport when you get right down to it. Any sport where you can't use your hands is just stupid.

Indoor soccer provides a level of excitement that is comparable to some other "good" sports, but any sport whose finest games are games in which only a couple of points are scored is not worth the time investment to watch them.

Contrast soccer with baseball (a game considered boring by most people who are not familiar with it), where on any given pitch a player COULD hit a home run which could have a direct affect on the outcome of the game. In top level soccer for 95% of the game there is absolutely NOTHING that could happen (other than a heart attack of a top player) that could affect the outcome of the game.

Two weeks from now, it will be possible to capture all of the highlights of the entire tournament in five minutes of videotape. THAT might be worth watching.

I think that if there is a point, it is that soccer, despite being "loved" by billions of humans, is a pretty lame sport when you get right down to it. Any sport where you can't use your hands is just stupid.

Indoor soccer provides a level of excitement that is comparable to some other "good" sports, but any sport whose finest games are games in which only a couple of points are scored is not worth the time investment to watch them.
so you're not a fan of baseball?
Contrast soccer with baseball (a game considered boring by most people who are not familiar with it), where on any given pitch a player COULD hit a home run which could have a direct affect on the outcome of the game. In top level soccer for 95% of the game there is absolutely NOTHING that could happen (other than a heart attack of a top player) that could affect the outcome of the game.

Two weeks from now, it will be possible to capture all of the highlights of the entire tournament in five minutes of videotape. THAT might be worth watching.

I get not liking soccer. I'm not a fan of it myself.

But Coulter is simply a troll. I didn't read the linked article because I have already passed my threshold for Coulter for one day. I read the article about her claiming " I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer". In the same article she claimed the growing interest in soccer is a sign of the moral decay in the country.

I can't take her seriously when she is that ignorant.

I have to disagree with your assessment of a sport whose finest games only have a couple of points scored. I am a huge fan of college football. And I am especially a big fan of solid defensive football. Some of my favorite Crimson Tide games have seen very little scoring. Case in point, the shut-out of LSU in the BCS Championship game.

The woman is a lunatic. Yes, she is part of the old GOP core that wants everything to be the way it was in the 50s. It is very sad that she cannot see the world is changing. Of course, if she decides to stay in the 19th Century, that is fine.

Liberals hate World Cup because there's a winner at the end of it and yes, they fucking built it!

I get not liking soccer. I'm not a fan of it myself.

But Coulter is simply a troll. I didn't read the linked article because I have already passed my threshold for Coulter for one day. I read the article about her claiming " I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer". In the same article she claimed the growing interest in soccer is a sign of the moral decay in the country.

I can't take her seriously when she is that ignorant.

same article. she's an ass - and what she doesn't realize is that the younger generations are the ones interested in soccer, which makes their great-grandfathers more likely to have been born here.

incidentally, one of mine wasn't (well, more than one) but he was a professional soccer player - at least until he fought in WWI and was shot, preventing him from returning to the game.

Nothing is as depressing as ignorant people mouthing off about something they know nothing about.

As a European immigrant I could never understand the magic of baseball. I used to make fun of baseball and baseball players, because they did not play in the rain like soccer players. I laughed at them when they seemed to be out of breath running just from one base to the next, while soccer players play 90 minutes virtually non-stop. I doubted that baseball players are even athletes, because most of the time they just watch what happens between the pitcher and the batter. I laughed when I saw that baseball players preferred to run on dirt, rather than on beautiful green grass.

Then came the day when I got recruited into our office slow pitch team. In spite of my objections that I had never touched a base ball or a bat, out of loyalty to my colleagues I signed up and made the determination to be the best I could be.

It was the time of reckoning and re-education.

To hit a ball - even a slow pitch ball - is not nearly as easy as it looks when it is hit by a skilled player. When a base ball hits you - even a slow pitched ball - it hurts far more than a hit by a soccer ball, yet I had never saw a baseball player writhing in agony as soccer players usually do when touched ever so slightly by another player or a stray soccer ball.

Those who bad mouth soccer probably never played it, because they never could.

Those who bad mouth anything they do it out of ignorance.

I'm sure soccer is fun to play, and I have many acquaintances (mainly under 40) who played it as youngsters, and some who continue playing into adulthood.

The discussion is about (1) soccer as a spectator sport, and (2) soccer when compared to other sports that one might play, specifically in the U.S..

Spectator sports can be assessed on their level of excitement. In baseball and football, there is the POSSIBILITY that a game-changing event might occur on every single play. In basketball and hockey there are brief periods when the ball or puck is out of range for scoring, but once the ball comes within range of the goal, that possibility exists. Thus for the "major" sports played in the U.S., there is at least the possibility of a game-changing event occurring almost all the time - even if it's a low-scoring game.

In top-level soccer, for MOST of the game, the ball is so far from the goal that the chances of a goal being scored is close to non-existent. All of the other activity (dribbling and passing the ball) is meaningless in determining who wins the game. It may be fascinating to people who have grown up playing and watching the game, because they can appreciate the level of skill required, but to the casual observer, there is nothing fascinating about anything that happens more than 50 meters from either goal - and unfortunately that is for most of the soccer game.

Aside from in a relatively few hotbeds of the sport in the U.S., our top athletes do NOT play soccer, or they play it along with other sports. If and when they are forced to choose one sport or the other (usually due to time constraints) the other sport always wins out. The players who are totally dedicated to soccer are not the top athletes in the student body; it is occasionally said with some cynicism, "The soccer players are the kids who can't play ball." (Many football and basketball coaches steer clear of soccer players because their running style is developed to be able to change directions instantly (moving east to west), rather than getting to the objective quickly (north to south)).

And this is one of the unspoken reasons why soccer will not be a "major" sport in the U.S. anytime soon: the best athletes are playing other sports. In Europe and R.O.W., the best athletes are usually playing soccer, but here, the best athletes never play soccer beyond high school. They are into other sports.

And dare I say, the potentially most fertile ground for "breeding" good soccer players in this country would be the American Inner-City, but African Americans are conspicuously UNinterested in playing soccer. Until Black kids start playing soccer, we, as a country, ain't goin' nowhere.

I'm sure soccer is fun to play, and I have many acquaintances (mainly under 40) who played it as youngsters, and some who continue playing into adulthood.

The discussion is about (1) soccer as a spectator sport, and (2) soccer when compared to other sports that one might play, specifically in the U.S..

Spectator sports can be assessed on their level of excitement. In baseball and football, there is the POSSIBILITY that a game-changing event might occur on every single play. In basketball and hockey there are brief periods when the ball or puck is out of range for scoring, but once the ball comes within range of the goal, that possibility exists. Thus for the "major" sports played in the U.S., there is at least the possibility of a game-changing event occurring almost all the time - even if it's a low-scoring game.

that is extremely true of soccer as well. much of a football game isn't played in the red-zone, and much of baseball isn't played with the bases loaded or even runners on base. but you know that those things can change quickly. soccer is no different.

Soccer is a wonderful sport for kids in elementary school because it teaches them to kick a ball while running.

And helps get them in good physical condition in order to play 'real' sports when they get older. .. :cool:

I was in a break room with a bunch of spanish speaking nit wits going nuts watching gay blades run back and forth kicking a ball. I asked them if they liked watching paint dry also and one of them stood up and informed me that the rest of the world loves football...the real football. I told them that was one example of how the rest of the world sucks.
If one of my cats has shit in the litter box I have something more entertaining to do than to watch soccer. That's right cleaning shit out of a litter box is more interesting than soccer.

Last edited:
By the way, you soccer faggots hate Ann because you and your faggot group of pussy leftist asslicks couldn't produce anything close to the amazingly delicious sarcastic writings based on absolute fact that Ann does weekly along with numerous best seller books. Fags. :lol: soccer, game of faggots.

Obama must be an expert at this little bull shit child's game.

Wow so many important things happening around the world and all the Leftytoons can focus on is someone's opinion on soccer. Have you had some soccer ball wriststrong bracelets made yet?

Forum List

Back