Could a corporation take humanity to other planets?

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Could a corporation take humanity to other planets? Lets say mars, but the moon, asteroid in the asteroid belt or Europa are other possibilities. Lets expand on this and discuss the concept of human settlement starting out of a mining operation.

Advantage of this concept would be
1. The public here on earth wouldn't whine about its cost
2. It would hopefully be making a profit that could maintain the project.

Disadvantages
1. It would have to make a profit without funding from the government

Here is the thought process of this:

I am guessing some of the drive for doing so would be for resources...So maybe an outpost on the way to the asteroid belt Or maybe Mars could have resources and we're mining for them. So the explorers are workers...Ties into the reality that the corporation needs to make a profit for its shareholders. This is kind of like a town that forms around the gold mine in the old west or explorers earlier of the new world setting up shipping business to ship the new resources back to the new world. There's a reason for it and it is built around an entire industry. Pretty soon People form a government(town government; mayor) and would probably remain on mars at ever increasing numbers branching out into different industries. This argument could be used for any body of resources in space and would be a strong economic reason for space exploration.

Personally, Spain and many other nations during the 14th, 15th and 16th century played a huge role in exploration of our world and I think government would play a part in it...A charter company is more likely to be successful.

Last edited:
Could a corporation take humanity to other planets? Lets say mars, but the moon, asteroid in the asteroid belt or Europa are other possibilities. Lets expand on this and discuss the concept of human settlement starting out of a mining operation.

Disadvantages

I am guessing some of the drive for doing so would be for resources...So maybe an outpost on the way to the asteroid belt Or maybe Mars could have resources and we're mining for them. So the explorers are workers...Ties into the reality that the corporation needs to make a profit for its shareholders. This is kind of like a town that forms around the gold mine in the old west or explorers earlier of the new world setting up shipping business to ship the new resources back to the new world. There's a reason for it and it is built around an entire industry. Pretty soon People form a government(town government; mayor) and would probably remain on mars at ever increasing numbers branching out into different industries. This argument could be used for any body of resources in space and would be a strong economic reason for space exploration.

Personally, Spain and many other nations during the 14th, 15th and 16th century played a huge role in exploration of our world and I think government would play a part in it...A charter company is more likely to be successful.
Yes they can. But, currently space travel is far to slow to make mining profitable. That, and then how do you get the ore back to Earth? We needs some more technology.

Disadvantages

what if they bring back an alien that wraps around your face and uses your stomach for incubation?

But who owns Mars? The first enterprise who sets up a colony owns it? Maybe it's war first and business later.:meow:

Forum List

Back