Costco pulling products made with forced monkey labor!

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
At first I thought I was reading The Onion or Babylon Bee. :omg:

The alleged use of forced monkey labor has led Costco to stop selling Thai-made coconut products.​
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been tracking such animal abuse since 2019, while urging retailers to pull merchandise made from the bad actors to discourage the practice, USA Today reported.​
“No kind shopper wants monkeys to be chained up and treated like coconut-picking machines,” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said in a statement, according to the outlet.​
“Costco made the right call to reject animal exploitation, and PETA is calling on holdouts like Kroger to follow suit.”​
PETA’s investigation found chained-up monkeys can pick around 400 coconuts a day and are then stuffed in cages until their next shift, the outlet reported.​

What the hell?

From your link..I am laughing my ass off

PETA’s investigation found chained-up monkeys can pick around 400 coconuts a day and are then stuffed in cages until their next shift, the outlet reported.

At first I thought I was reading The Onion or Babylon Bee. :omg:

The alleged use of forced monkey labor has led Costco to stop selling Thai-made coconut products.​
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been tracking such animal abuse since 2019, while urging retailers to pull merchandise made from the bad actors to discourage the practice, USA Today reported.​
“No kind shopper wants monkeys to be chained up and treated like coconut-picking machines,” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said in a statement, according to the outlet.​
“Costco made the right call to reject animal exploitation, and PETA is calling on holdouts like Kroger to follow suit.”​
PETA’s investigation found chained-up monkeys can pick around 400 coconuts a day and are then stuffed in cages until their next shift, the outlet reported.​

Hell I thought you were talkin bout African slaves, not monkeys.

More

Chaokoh, one of the world’s leaders in coconut milk production, reassures that we do not engage the use of monkey labour in our coconut plantations,” the company insisted in a statement, noting its suppliers have “signed memorandums of understanding” that monkey labor will not be used at their farms.

Walgreens, Food Lion, Giant Food and Stop & Shop have all pulled alleged monkey-picked coconut products from their shelves, but products from Chaokoh are still available on Target, Walmart and Kroger’s websites, the outlet said

Having monkeys caged doing labor beats the heck outta having humans locked up doing "force labor" isn't it?

Heck, if monkeys can be trained to do work more power to them.

Sounds like a marketing fiasco to stop private enterprising individuals to me.

Last edited:
Having monkeys caged doing labor beats the heck outta having humans locked up doing "force labor" isn't it?

Is the monkeys getting a living wage?
Obviously they have free housing and employment. Most people who have working animals like to keep them in good shape for they can do the work.

Look these poor ducks are just slaves too!

Obviously they have free housing and employment. Most people who have working animals like to keep them in good shape for they can do the work.

So the ducks eat the bugs, but leave behind a ton of poop - Think my Thai Jasmine Rice is safe? :D

So the ducks eat the bugs, but leave behind a ton of poop - Think my Thai Jasmine Rice is safe? :D

Now your talking, I love Jasmine rice, 5 cups to one sticky rice..

Yeah probably is a hell of a lot better rice than that which comes from chemical laden fields.

The goat a friend brought me this summer ate weeds for me and turned the weeds into nice little fertilizer pellets.

I'm sure some of these guys treat their monkeys better than others, but there's a definite downside.
They may need to unionize :)

That one guy has his on a leash like a pet dog.

Again, they are propagandizing to disenfranchise private enterprises in favorite of corporate ones.

Also looks like they have a better deal than the ones being eaten.

I'm sure some of these guys treat their monkeys better than others, but there's a definite downside.
They may need to unionize :)

That one guy has his on a leash like a pet dog.

Again, they are propagandizing to disenfranchise private enterprises in favorite of corporate ones.

Also looks like they have a better deal than the ones being eaten.

The monkeys will loot and riot, oh shit planet of the Apes...

So, just to be clear, we can eat animals... they just can't work for us?
Apparently it depends on who has control of the monkeys and who will be able to skim off the top from whatever profits may be available from their labor and the coconut farms.

So the folks at peta should decide, do they want the monkeys employed as coconut pickers or as the main course at dinner?

Then there's this:

Poor wild monkeys will have the same fate as many of the wild an unwanted horses here if the world allows NGO's and the corps like Costco, Walmart, etc. to rule.

Forum List

Back