Do believe the United States criminal justice system is corruption towards ethnic minorites?

• Yes

• No

• i do not know

• I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stayfly

Rookie
Jul 12, 2016
I am a postgrad student who is currently undertaking a researching how corruption affects African-Americans in the criminal justice system. During the course of my undergraduate degree i became intrested in social injustice directed at ethnic minorities and studying human rights has further expanded this interest.

Like many others the BlackLivesMatter movement has caught my attention for various reason. I have read extensively on the Black Freedom movement since slavery to the recent protests ignited by the killing of Trayvon Martin. The killing of Alton Sterling and Philando Castille has again made this topic extreme relevant and important to address. I would now love the opportunity to learn a mixture of opinions and positions on this topic to contribute towards my research.

Can i please ask you to spare 3 minutes to fill out my survey for my research project. The aim of this survey is to gather and highlight some of the general views about corruption and racial inustice in order to include racial discrimination into the scholarly dialogue of corruption.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RH9XXJD

All views and opinions, whether favorable or adverse, are welcomed as this is platform to explore the variety of opinions and not just the mainstream opinions.

Use this thread to post some of your thoughts and views, as it will also be a useful contribution towards my research.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thank you in advance.

But does sterling REALLY make this topic relevant? or is he used just for shits and giggles? I say that because I think a person of ANY color in his shoes would have suffered the same fate.
The Castile guy does IMO. I understand the guys judgements, but that excuses NOTHING
Good luck!

But does sterling REALLY make this topic relevant? or is he used just for shits and giggles? I say that because I think a person of ANY color in his shoes would have suffered the same fate.
The Castile guy does IMO. I understand the guys judgements, but that excuses NOTHING
Good luck!

I think both Sterling and Castile convey a criminal justice system that disregards the lives of marginalized groups, so Sterling for me is also relevant to the topic of corruption and racial injustice. What happened to Sterling and Castille could have happened to any one, white people included, however, the fact that it happens way too often to marginalized groups shows that not enough is being done to address how police corruption affects those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

Well OJ got away with a double murder and he is mulatto black.

And Timothy McVeigh got executed for murdering 168 people in OKC and he was lily white.

So that about sums it up I would say. Don't you agree?

And Timothy McVeigh got executed for murdering 168 people in OKC and he was lily white.

What does it sum up? That having money and celebrity status can buy you a get-out-of-jail-free card? Or that being a terrorist that killed 168 people and injured over 600 people does not warrant a death penalty?

Good luck!

I think both Sterling and Castile convey a criminal justice system that disregards the lives of marginalized groups, so Sterling for me is also relevant to the topic of corruption and racial injustice. What happened to Sterling and Castille could have happened to any one, white people included, however, the fact that it happens way too often to marginalized groups shows that not enough is being done to address how police corruption affects those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.
He tried to pull out a gun. See, a cops job is to retain the general welfare. Also, cops have a right to life just like anyone else. That guy tried to end his right to life.
Cases like this is why so many people get laughed at. It's bullshit. That criminal rapists life is no more important an anyone else's.
Look t Michael brown. Millions of people looked like Fukin fools. And sad part is, they didn't care. They said fuck science, laws and their communities. It's sad and pathetic.
Holding on to bullshit makes your hands stink.
Idk, guess if it was me, I would just stick to REAL issues.

Good luck!

He tried to pull out a gun. See, a cops job is to retain the general welfare. Also, cops have a right to life just like anyone else. That guy tried to end his right to life.
Cases like this is why so many people get laughed at. It's bullshit. That criminal rapists life is no more important an anyone else's.
Look t Michael brown. Millions of people looked like Fukin fools. And sad part is, they didn't care. They said fuck science, laws and their communities. It's sad and pathetic.

13557840_10204901569858001_8146200038975246208_n.jpg

Why didn't the police shoot him in his arm then to incapacitate him? Why did they shoot to kill when there were already two officers on him? If the police have to shoot to kill to protect their own lives why aren't there more people being killed by the police daily? Is it okay for the police force to train officers that only know how to shoot to kill whilst they train FBI and CIA agents to shoot to incapacitate and gain hostages for questioning?

With Michael Brown, people cared enough to shit on their own doorstep because they had nothing to lose. They felt like their communities lacked investment and their lives were being taken by death or the prison system. My mother has always warned me never to fight with someone that has nothing to lose because they will take steps you're not willing to take.That's what was reflected in the Ferguson riots, people who had had enough of being silenced, ignored, and being told they are the cause of their problems, though there is numerous evidence structural factors and institutions maintain the status quo and make it difficult forpeople in marginalised groups to break the glass barrier into the higher levels of socio-economic status.

I think in protesting against these killings people are aiming to highlight the flaws in policing, not deny that some African-Americans, like every other ethnicities, have good and bad people.

What do you think are the REAL issues?

What does it sum up? That having money and celebrity status can buy you a get-out-of-jail-free card? Or that being a terrorist that killed 168 people and injured over 600 people does not warrant a death penalty?
Money. The point is money.

The Poe don't got no money. Dat is duh problem.

And I would not call McVeigh a terrorist. There aren't any 72 virgins in it for him and he was not demanding that we stop supporting Israel.

McVeigh was simply a mentally ill saboteur. No glory.

Good luck!

Why didn't the police shoot him in his arm then to incapacitate him? Why did they shoot to kill when there were already two officers on him? If the police have to shoot to kill to protect their own lives why aren't there more people being killed by the police daily? Is it okay for the police force to train officers that only know how to shoot to kill whilst they train FBI and CIA agents to shoot to incapacitate and gain hostages for questioning?

With Michael Brown, people cared enough to shit on their own doorstep because they had nothing to lose. They felt like their communities lacked investment and their lives were being taken by death or the prison system. My mother has always warned me never to fight with someone that has nothing to lose because they will take steps you're not willing to take.That's what was reflected in the Ferguson riots, people who had had enough of being silenced, ignored, and being told they are the cause of their problems, though there is numerous evidence structural factors and institutions maintain the status quo and make it difficult forpeople in marginalised groups to break the glass barrier into the higher levels of socio-economic status.

I think in protesting against these killings people are aiming to highlight the flaws in policing, not deny that some African-Americans, like every other ethnicities, have good and bad people.

comparing police to specially trained CIA and FBI agents is a bit disingenuous.
With MB? MB was a freakin criminal that tried to steal a cops gun and kill him with it. Those whole thing was a bunch of bullshit. And our own President sending aids to his funeral WITHOUT the facts? THAT was reflection. Kinda like castile. People screaming "kill whitey" and the cop was a fuckin latino. But I digress..
Castille is a real issue. That shit shouldn't happen. However, people make mistakes. Putting unattainable standards on people doesn't help ANYTHING. But they STILL should be brought to justice. killing and burning down the lives of innocent people? That is savagery. And stupidity.
Another good example of stupidity is people screaming about equality and wanting the federal government to fix it when the fed gov is the one that legislated the inequality.
Like I said, REAL issues.
IDK fly, I hate the division. I hate the hate. I guess it is natural though.. I hope one day humans evolve past irrational fears.

Money. The point is money.

The Poe don't got no money. Dat is duh problem.

And I would not call McVeigh a terrorist. There aren't any 72 virgins in it for him and he was not demanding that we stop supporting Israel.

McVeigh was simply a mentally ill saboteur. No glory.

Yes i agree socio-economic status heavily effects corruption, and as ethnic minorities are at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder, i think it often has an impact on them more than other groups.

Also, the word terrorist is not exclusive to Muslims/Palestinians/Middle Easterns or anyone who demands to stop supporting Israel (like myself).

Definition of Terrorism: the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Definition of Terrorist: a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.

"McVeigh, a Gulf War veteran, sought revenge against the federal government for its handling of the Waco siege, which ended in the deaths of 76 people exactly two years before the bombing, as well as for the Ruby Ridge incident in 1992. McVeigh hoped to inspire a revolt against the federalist government."

"According to the United States Government, it was the deadliest act of terrorism within theUnited States prior to the September 11 attacks, and remains the most significant act of domestic terrorism in United States history"

He was a terrorist.

Good luck!

With MB? MB was a freakin criminal that tried to steal a cops gun and kill him with it. Those whole thing was a bunch of bullshit. And our own President sending aids to his funeral WITHOUT the facts? THAT was reflection. Kinda like castile. People screaming "kill whitey" and the cop was a fuckin latino. But I digress..
Castille is a real issue. That shit shouldn't happen. However, people make mistakes. Putting unattainable standards on people doesn't help ANYTHING. But they STILL should be brought to justice. killing and burning down the lives of innocent people? That is savagery. And stupidity.
Another good example of stupidity is people screaming about equality and wanting the federal government to fix it when the fed gov is the one that legislated the inequality.
IDK fly, I hate the division. I hate the hate. I guess it is natural though.. I hope one day humans evolve past irrational fears.

I compared them because if top policing forces can be trained to not shoot to kill, why not the police? Is it because the average man's life does not matter but capturing terrorist for information does?

I do agree the Federal Government play a large role in sustaining corruption in the criminal justice system. I am also tired of the hate and even more tired that in 2016 race and the color of someone skins causes people to see them as a threat and devalue their life.

I appreciate you sharing your opinions with me. Please can you take a few mins to complete my survey so i can convey these views in my research?

Good luck!

I compared them because if top policing forces can be trained to not shoot to kill, why not the police? Is it because the average man's life does not matter but capturing terrorist for information does?

I do agree the Federal Government play a large role in sustaining corruption in the criminal justice system. I am also tired of the hate and even more tired that in 2016 race and the color of someone skins causes people to see them as a threat and devalue their life.

I appreciate you sharing your opinions with me. Please can you take a few mins to complete my survey so i can convey these views in my research?
You want to give local police training like that? Doesn't sound very consistent, honestly.
And lets consider the numbers : LEOs with general enforcement powers(local police) account for almost 800K people in America. There is about 1.1 M local and federal LEOs TOTAL. Consider the time/training/resources to do that kind of training on 800K people. But would it be worth it? To special train/militarize the police like that? To pay them the necessary salaries for that kind of training? I know I wouldn't want that. They have ENOUGH general powers.
And the number of LEOs keeps rising. Bigger government = well, bigger government lol.

Yes, I will.

Good luck!

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Out of curiosity....do you believe the shooting of Mike Brown was justified?

Good luck!

Who's getting trained to shoot to wound?

I know in the UK police and military forces are trained to shoot to wound but recognise UK issues differ due to firearms not being legal. I have been told by a U.S. solider who fought in Iraq and someone who worked for a private contractor in Iraq they were told to shoot to wound in certain cases to capture prisoners for questioning. Though i have read it is not always scientifically feasible to shoot to wound, I question why the statistics reveal more ethnic minorities carry weapons are killed by the police than their white counterparts. Is it because the police immediately shoot to kill ethnic minorities or should we really believe ethnic minorities are fundamentally more dangerous when given a firearm?

I know in the UK police and military forces are trained to shoot to wound but recognise UK issues differ due to firearms not being legal. I have been told by a U.S. solider who fought in Iraq and someone who worked for a private contractor in Iraq they were told to shoot to wound in certain cases to capture prisoners for questioning. Though i have read it is not always scientifically feasible to shoot to wound, I question why the statistics reveal more ethnic minorities carry weapons are killed by the police than their white counterparts. Is it because the police immediately shoot to kill ethnic minorities or should we really believe ethnic minorities are fundamentally more dangerous when given a firearm?
Going by US crime statistics, yes.

Apparently they are more dangerous.
When 7% of the population commits 52% of the murders in this country there's an obvious problem.

As other posters point out, rich don't spend time in jail. Poor man waits for his "right to speedy trial" for years in lockup. Hillary just went free. Rich don't even get charged!

Apparently they are more dangerous.
When 7% of the population commits 52% of the murders in this country there's an obvious problem.

Going by US crime statistics, yes.

There is an obvious problem looking at those statistics. If that is the case the next question to address is why do African-Americans commit more murders? Broken communities? And does that give the police reason to see every African-american as a reasonable threat?

Expanded Homicide Data Table 6

The above link reveals whites commit more homicides of African-Americans than African-Americans murder whites. Does this mean African-Americans should fear white people?
I am making the point that statistics can reveal a lot, and often contradictory things. Nevertheless, i do not think it grants law enforcement agents the permission to kill African-Americans because statistically they are more likely to murder.

Those statistics should be used to ask the question "why?" in order to implement change.

New Topics

Forum List

Back