Corrective Eye Surgery

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
Has there been any one within the board that has had any personal experiences that they would like to share? I am seriously considering this because I have had the most frustrating headaches and difficulty with stressed, tired, and sensitive eyes. I was once told I was a good candidate to be considered for such regardless of all the issues I've had with my eyes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYss7yOacHk&feature=related]Eye doctor says LASIK is "a terrible idea"-CBS Katie Couric - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL01H65Gf54&feature=related]The Video that LASIK Doctors Don't Want You To See - YouTube[/ame]

I wear glasses for distance (driving, reading road signs, movies, etc) and now need reading glasses. <--- :mad: as well. OTC, lowest level but . . . what a nuisance!

I wouldn't do Lasik if you paid me. While an inconvenience at times, and a pain in the butt if you ever forget your glasses and need to drive any type of distance especially at night, it's way better than a surgery where too many things can go wrong. One small slip and you're screwed.

Do you currently wear glasses? If so and your eyes are still tired/stressed/sensitive has your prescription changed? I know mine did they actually improved in distance and I had to get my prescription lessened a few clicks.

• Banned
It is something I have heard many warnings about... Yet it seems to produce adequate reasons that deems it a worthy surgery. Even the woman featured in the story... Her symptoms are similar to my current ones. If I had better vision I would mostiky not get as many headaches. Or so would be my hope.

• Banned
I wear glasses for distance (driving, reading road signs, movies, etc) and now need reading glasses. <--- :mad: as well. OTC, lowest level but . . . what a nuisance!

I wouldn't do Lasik if you paid me. While an inconvenience at times, and a pain in the butt if you ever forget your glasses and need to drive any type of distance especially at night, it's way better than a surgery where too many things can go wrong. One small slip and you're screwed.

Do you currently wear glasses? If so and your eyes are still tired/stressed/sensitive has your prescription changed? I know mine did they actually improved in distance and I had to get my prescription lessened a few clicks.

I wear both contacts and glasses depending on the day, just not at the same time.

I have for years....

My eyes did improve some after having all my children, but when my hormones took a dip and I went through a depression from not being able to have more children (as I had a tubal) my eyes got worse than they had been previous to the improvement.

okay you roll the dice and you are one of the ones that it dont work on...halos to the point you cant drive....i have 'optical' migraines...so i have halos and arches of light....let me tell ya....its scarey at first and its blinding...not in the darkness kind but in the blurred field of vision kind....if i am driving and one starts....i know i got 10 to 15 minutes of seeing left.....i have to get to a place or get someone on the road to get me.....now image that being 24/7.....dont chance it....change doctors....or get another opinion....are you wearing bifocals.....they are easy to get out of alinement.....have that checked

i wear transitional (fancy for bifocals) or is that the sunglass part? isnt the progressive hell i dont remember.....oooooooooo and i am polycarb sensitive....are you glasses polycarb? you got a lot of things to check and do before you rush into having your eye cut....the flap never heals

anyways i never take my glasses off.....except to sleep.....i think that makes it easier....i couldnt wear contacts....i cant even put in eye drops....

but mine are the hidden bifocals with the changing shades...i wished my shades were darker

Several years ago I worked for a very large company that had thousands of employees. Our insurance package one year came out and said that it would play for correcting eye surgery for employees and their families. I personally knew dozens of fellow co-workers and their spouses who had the surgery done. I never knew anyone who had a negative experience with the surgery.

My ex-wife was one of the people who had the surgery. She was severely near sighted and had to wear thick glasses to see beyond 10 feet. After the surgery she was 20/20 vision and never had any problems.

Last edited:
only 5 % or so have problems....just once you hit that 5 % you lose a lot.....

so we now know you you get women....you go after the nearly blind ones?

o my my sunni

The sun hurts my eyes most it seems. But sunglasses (and especially 3D glasses) make me so dizzy at times I get sick to my stomach.

Has there been any one within the board that has had any personal experiences that they would like to share? I am seriously considering this because I have had the most frustrating headaches and difficulty with stressed, tired, and sensitive eyes. I was once told I was a good candidate to be considered for such regardless of all the issues I've had with my eyes.

First of all, if your problems are headaches, stress, and tiredness, there may be something else going on unrelated to how well you can see with uncorrected vision. Easiest way to figure that out is put on your glasses and see if the symptoms go away.

That said, I had 20/1000 vision in 1984. I could not avoid walking into walls without my half inch thick glasses and contacts caused eye allergies. There were a number of sports I could not participate in and women I could not recognize at critical moments.

In 1985 I had radial keratotomy, 26 years ago. Have not had a problem since. Best life decission I ever made.

only 5 % or so have problems....just once you hit that 5 % you lose a lot.....

so we now know you you get women....you go after the nearly blind ones?

o my my sunni
She was near sighted. So she could see close-up detail like you wouldn't believe. But any distance beyond 10 feet was a blur. She never wore her glasses outside of the house. So she was never a back seat driver telling me to turn here or stop at the light was red like so many women do. But after the surgery she had perfect vision. And I hated having are in my car because she was like some kind of overbearing driving instructor. :doubt:

Last edited:
My contacts do seem to provoke eye allergies.... And my glasses, well... are most likely outdated. The change of the seasons also really make a difference as the winter brightness can be the worst.

My contacts do seem to provoke eye allergies.... And my glasses, well... are most likely outdated. The change of the seasons also really make a difference as the winter brightness can be the worst.

If you decide to do it, then make sure you pick a well known ophthamologist who has already done 10,000 of them without a complaint. Pay the extra bucks to avoid some fly-by-night quack.

New Topics

Forum List

Back