Cooling tower causes fatality

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Those of us that live in the north and drive by cooling towers have to know that the water vapor, not steam, that is coming from them falls to the ground. It isn't an unusual event for the ground to be ice under the plume from cooling towers. It is just unlucky that it fell on the bridge that lead to this good man's death.

Bottom line, use some common sense when it is 15 degrees. Not saying this man didn't, I believe he drove onto icy conditions without realizing it. SO BE CAREFUL!

Shippingport chief: Frozen steam on bridge led to fatal crash

Last edited:
What's the difference? What is steam made of?

You're going to lose your point quibbling over a semantic.

Water vapor = steam.

They're the same thing.

One is invisible, the other isn't. And you're wrong on any account. Water vapor isn't steam until heat (energy) is applied.

cooling-towers-big.jpg

Doesn't look "invisible" to me...

The correct term would be "condensation". (it's not steam)

I used to work on cooling towers. Which are designed to remove excess heat from circulating water that's used to cool industrial machinery and equipment.

It will create a condensation vapor on cold days. ...... :cool:

Water vapor = steam.

They're the same thing.

One is invisible, the other isn't. And you're wrong on any account. Water vapor isn't steam until heat (energy) is applied.

cooling-towers-big.jpg

You've got things ass backward as usual. Water vapor (as in evaporation) is invisible, steam is not.

So you think that's steam in the picture I posted?

Title is misleading.............saying it is cooling towers but the article says steam from the stacks.............

Does it matter? You put water into the air in whatever form you wish to call it, if it falls to the ground at freezing temperatures, on a road you are driving on, best to go very slow and careful.

Last edited:

Two posts on semantics and you are accusing me? If you ever cracked a book you would know the difference, that is why I am not going to educate you.

Two posts on semantics and you are accusing me? If you ever cracked a book you would know the difference, that is why I am not going to educate you.

Yuh huh.
So you'd rather run away from a semantic you can't explain and lose the whole point over a shiny object.

Coulda been a contender....

Yuh huh.
So you'd rather run away from a semantic you can't explain and lose the whole point over a shiny object.

Wasn't the point so why argue, if you want to think that steam is coming from cooling towers then OK but it really is water vapor. If you wish to be rude on the internet, then well done.

Title is misleading.............saying it is cooling towers but the article says steam from the stacks.............

Me thinks the Police Chief doesn't really know the difference. I heard from people who drove across the bridge at about the same time and they said it wasn't slippery as far as they could tell yet the Chief says they couldn't walk on it.

Water vapor = steam.

They're the same thing.

cooling-towers-big.jpg

You've got things ass backward as usual. Water vapor (as in evaporation) is invisible, steam is not.

Must differ, steam is an odorless, if you could smell it, colorless gas, just like all gases.

Yuh huh.

Wasn't the point so why argue, if you want to think that steam is coming from cooling towers then OK but it really is water vapor. If you wish to be rude on the internet, then well done.

Was your point in creating this thread "let's talk about 'steam' and 'water vapor' - same or different?"

Or was it the story?

"Why argue" is exactly my point.
So why are you arguing about "why argue"?

New Topics

Forum List

Back