cool weather and cold weather foods

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
the chill is in the air...of course indian (native not gandi) summer is just around the corner and then its fall and then...WINTER....:eek:

so do you switch foods for winter...we do...gone are the simple dinners of salads and veggies....bring on the meat and the comfort foods.....

chili w/beans over rice....

mac/cheese

chicken and dumplings

roast beast

more breads with meals

i am almost scared to hear what the yanks eat....

Come November venison tenderloins!!!! venison burgers anything venison!!!!Pheasent!!!

the chill is in the air...of course indian (native not gandi) summer is just around the corner and then its fall and then...WINTER....:eek:

so do you switch foods for winter...we do...gone are the simple dinners of salads and veggies....bring on the meat and the comfort foods.....

mac/cheese

chicken and dumplings

roast beast

more breads with meals

LOL!! Much the same. But we don't ruin perfectly good chili by pairing it with rice.

Homemade mac and cheese..

Lasagna..

Spaghetti..

Chili (no rice, no noodles)

I start making things like pumpkin breads, chocolate zucchini bread..)

Oatmeal comes out for breakfast...

All kinds of homemade soup
Lasagna, manicotti, baked ziti
Cornbread
Baked sweet potatoes
And my great-grandma's spice cake

I don't really change foods ... for me it's always a few thai and indian (ghandi, not american) dishes plus some pasta with or without meat and countless freestyle stews. :D

Nothing better on a cold rainy day than Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, well seasoned(hot enough to make your brow sweat) and very hot. Drowning a bowl full of Mahatma rice with the consistency of thick soup......... Yum! When I say Gumbo, I mean real fresh Gumbo not canned crap from Cambells. Fresh Chicken and Veggies to build it and lots of cayenne pepper.

I was working on a tug boat in the south pass of the Mississippi River one night. We were hooked up to a dredge barge that was expanding the waterway, holding it against the strong current. From the wheel house we watched the guys busting their ass on the piping that was running from the dredge to the banks. There were white caps on the river, it was about 36 degrees, the wind was howling and the rain was coming down pretty hard, we watch intently while smoking a couple of joints and enjoying the warmth. At one point I looked across to the dredge barge where we could see the galley, there was a guy standing in front of a huge pot stirring the contents with a ladle.......... gumbo I yelled and took off for the galley. The dredge crew was from Opelousas, Louisiana........ very cajun, the chef spoke broken english, mostly french.

It was indeed, Gumbo, instead of the standard greenish-brown(from the filet), it was an orange-red from cayenne pepper he had obviously shoveled in. Cold, wet, stoned and hungry, the conditions were perfect and it was easily in the top 2 best gumbos I have ever consumed. It had a lot of chicken but also real andouille sausage....... I can't wait for winter to get here! :eusa_drool:

Last edited:
A lot of homemade soups. I have so many good recipes and I love making soup.

Many things in the crock pot.

Chilli on football Sunday. I actually let my husband make it. He does fairly well. I like to pair it with a homemade corn bread dish loaded with green chilies, various spices and lots of cheese of course. mmmmmmm

Chilli on football Sunday. I actually let my husband make it. He does fairly well. I like to pair it with a homemade corn bread dish loaded with green chilies, various spices and lots of cheese of course. mmmmmmm

I almost forgot the crock pot! Nothing better than coming inside on a cold winter day with the house smelling delicious and a hot meal ready and waiting for you. Yet for some reason I put it away all summer. It just isn't the same.

Nothing better on a cold rainy day than Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, well seasoned(hot enough to make your brow sweat) and very hot. Drowning a bowl full of Mahatma rice with the consistency of thick soup......... Yum! When I say Gumbo, I mean real fresh Gumbo not canned crap from Cambells. Fresh Chicken and Veggies to build it and lots of cayenne pepper.

I was working on a tug boat in the south pass of the Mississippi River one night. We were hooked up to a dredge barge that was expanding the waterway, holding it against the strong current. From the wheel house we watched the guys busting their ass on the piping that was running from the dredge to the banks. There were white caps on the river, it was about 36 degrees, the wind was howling and the rain was coming down pretty hard, we watch intently while smoking a couple of joints and enjoying the warmth. At one point I looked across to the dredge barge where we could see the galley, there was a guy standing in front of a huge pot stirring the contents with a ladle.......... gumbo I yelled and took off for the galley. The dredge crew was from Opelousas, Louisiana........ very cajun, the chef spoke broken english, mostly french.

It was indeed, Gumbo, instead of the standard greenish-brown(from the filet), it was an orange-red from cayenne pepper he had obviously shoveled in. Cold, wet, stoned and hungry, the conditions were perfect and it was easily in the top 2 best gumbos I have ever consumed. It had a lot of chicken but also real andouille sausage....... I can't wait for winter to get here! :eusa_drool:
Cajun food in Louisiana is out of this world.

When ever I go there, my first stop is to get a plate of "Crawfish Etouffee"

Étouffée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I almost forgot the crock pot! Nothing better than coming inside on a cold winter day with the house smelling delicious and a hot meal ready and waiting for you. Yet for some reason I put it away all summer. It just isn't the same.

It would make sense in summer because of the heating issue, but I only do fall thru spring. Love it!

What is your fave in the croc?

It would make sense in summer because of the heating issue, but I only do fall thru spring. Love it!

Hard to pick just one. There are some really good soups that can be done in the crock pot. Traditional pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions. Especially those carrots you just dug up out of your own garden. :eusa_drool:
With the little ones, I do almost all my cooking in the crock pot in colder weather. At least during the week. Hams are great in them. Chicken. Any meat that's best done slow and well.

Hard to pick just one. There are some really good soups that can be done in the crock pot. Traditional pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions. Especially those carrots you just dug up out of your own garden. :eusa_drool:
With the little ones, I do almost all my cooking in the crock pot in colder weather. At least during the week. Hams are great in them. Chicken. Any meat that's best done slow and well.

Isn't it amazing how people can't figure out how to cook at home?

Isn't it amazing how people can't figure out how to cook at home?

It's not complicated. Time is a problem in our house, but the crock, planning for leftovers and cooking ahead make it doable. Little things, like if you're making something that freezes well make a huge batch of it for so you can have your own homemade TV dinners on really hectic days. Not to say we don't eat out occasionally, but it's a treat not an every day thing.

During the winter I will make posole (which I love). Not sure why I don't make it year round either...but I don't. Also make lots of beef stew in the crock pot and potato/corn/bacon chowder.

mac/cheese

chicken and dumplings

roast beast

more breads with meals

Yes we do. I add lots of stews and soups to the menu. One of my favorites is a loaded baked potato soup. Mmmmm

I'm thinking about making a couple of apple pies. I rarely do that in the summer. At least...not for a couple of summers. Too much oven when it's hot...

I want to make one for us, and have the kids trot one to the neighbors' house. They're only there weekends and intermittently, they do a lot of work on the place, and they're VERY tolerant of my obnoxious yapping dog. And my almost equally obnoxious yapping children...In fact, they've actually repaired holes in the fence to keep the dog from escaping, and are going to replace the entire fence in time.

So if I bake a pie, it will be one for me, and one for them. Though I'm not sure if the female half is there this week...he was out digging a sewer or water line all week, she may have opted out.

Forum List

Back