Cookie Tray

I'm sure this isn't serious enough for you, but my absolute favorite on the cookie tray was my aunt's Date Balls--cooked dates, Rice Krispies, and rolled in coconut.

Oh yeah that reminds me. Bourbon and rum balls!!!

Now we had a ball, crispy, confect covered, nuts (think pecan) inside, for a Christmas cookie too, forget the name. Wasn't coconut and date though but I love both. Mom usually made about 8-12 types cookies, Sis still does it.
Love rum balls! My uncle made them from all his cookie scraps-- crushed them up and saturated them with rum. Waste not, want not, eh?

I probably shouldn't give the secret away ...
But Santa likes cheese more than cookies.

1606952550311.png

Those Christmas wreaths made with semolina and anise.

Cookie called "wedding cakes" Kinda like a 2" pecan pie.

And decorated sugar cookies of course.

Semolina Christmas wreaths/ I had to look that up. The only Christmas wreath that I was aware of is the one made from struffoli.

Did you find it OK? The stronger influence half I was raised was strong Northern Italian and it was one of their things. I tried looking, semolina wreaths came up, Anise cookies. I used an extract, one recipe used seed. It's a tasty cookie and slightly different, nothing overpowering in them. Friends didn't know, ate them, now make them.
[/QUOTE]

These are the ones I found. I might try making them this weekend or the next.
They look really good. What part of northern Italy are your peeps from? Mine is from Abruzzo

Last edited:
I'm sure this isn't serious enough for you, but my absolute favorite on the cookie tray was my aunt's Date Balls--cooked dates, Rice Krispies, and rolled in coconut.

Sounds serious.

Lemon ricotta cookies
Holly Dolly bars
Cranberry cheesecake
Snickerdoodles
Will you share your recipe for Lemon Ricotta cookies?

Of course! We found this recipe ages ago when we entered a cookie exchange and they were always a crowd pleasure. Our family ask us to make these every Christmas. So good and light as a goose feather.

Lemon ricotta cookies
Holly Dolly bars
Cranberry cheesecake
Snickerdoodles
Will you share your recipe for Lemon Ricotta cookies?

Of course! We found this recipe ages ago when we entered a cookie exchange and they were always a crowd pleasure. Our family ask us to make these every Christmas. So good and light as a goose feather.

Thank you!

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

These are the ones I found. I might try making them this weekend or the next.
They look really good. What part of northern Italy are your peeps from? Mine is from Abruzzo

Yes I saw that one, it looks good. I make them at Christmas, may not get time this year since I am in the middle of a big (too much stuff) move.

They are from Milan, many still there. Originally Noni was Armenian but escaped it. Both came to the US late 1800 with one uncle who was 2.

Just as a heads up, I'd be really, really careful in adding salt to the salted caramel bars. I have an entire pan of bars that won't be given to anyone because someone (cough) wasn't careful enough.

Forum List

Back