Controversy in the Orlando Art World.

To think that back in the 1960's, Orlando was a back-water Army base (that eventually became a Navy base) and didn't have an arts scene ... I think it's progress that they actually have an art scene significant enough to have a controversy.

The comments by the author are what A lot of us Florida folks feel about ''Big City Northern folks'' Comments on the subject welcome
I can't read it because there is a paywall. I had to go hunt information down another way.

I'm not sure why the NYT felt compelled to involve itself in this and then continue the idiocy. De Groft didn't authenticate them. The museum didn't authenticate them. It appears that De Groft did acknowledge the controversy because he did comment on it. The FBI hasn't been to the museum. Another 4,000 are walking in the door because they have followed the artist's work and want to see for themselves. So, some good has come from the NYT's level of stupidity.

sorry about the paywall stuff. I will try a post more than one link on subjects from now on . :thup:
Please don't be. The odds are that it was a situation that people could have read one or two articles before hitting the paywall but the number of people that read it from your link put it into motion. It was interesting enough for me to pursue other articles.

Last edited:
An affidavit calls into question the origin story of more than two dozen works attributed to the acclaimed artist Jean-Michel Basquiat that the FBI seized from the Orlando Museum of Art, casting further doubt on their authenticity.

One key figure told a federal agent he never purchased the paintings, which is at odds with the story told by the museum and the art’s owners, according to the affidavit that suggests the FBI investigation has gone on for more than eight years.

Latest news from my home town news paper. It it will be all the talk at the citrus club I am sure.

Here is the latest on the case. I keep up with it for those who invest in this type of art and it is a big story for my hometown and people I am acquainted with. Who are good folks and this is sort of a big shock for them.

Wow thats interesting and tricksy!
The museum’s lawsuit alleges a conspiracy in which the defendants planned to use the museum’s “Heroes & Monsters” exhibition to give artwork attributed to the late Jean-Michel Basquiat credibility so it could later be sold for personal profit.

Forum List

Back