Daines
Grassley
Moran
Blunt
Burr
Hoeven
Lankford
Thune

Those are the likely votes for conviction. Rubio will seek the GOP establishment embrace rather than the "revolutionary" Trumpy one, especially with noise about Vanky challenging him in 2022. But only if Mitch leads the way.

McConnell is obviously the key. If he votes to convict it allows Grassley, Wicker, and some of the other old guard, near-retirement Republicans who know that Trump is a dangerous fraud.

As much as McConnell hate Trump I do not see him convicting Trump and just instead telling Trump to watch his back because the State of New York will get him instead...

I think McConnell is sick of Trump's tantrums, incompetence and the damage he's done to the GOP. Politically speaking Trump has been a disaster for Republicans. In 4 short years he lost them the house, the senate and the presidency. With the GOP having wiped its ass with its entire brand.

Though I suspect your right on him convicting Trump: its not going to happen. Trump will be tried in the Senate and not found guilty.

The SCOTUS won't touch it. Its clearly within the exclusive realm of the Senate.
The Senate can’t interpret the Constitution

They do every day when they exercise their authority. As does the Executive and the House. Every branch of government gets to interpret the constitution. The SCOTUS just gets the last say if they decide they do.

And the SCOTUS won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. As the sole authority of trying impeachment is the Senate's. The constitution is crystal clear, saying exactly that.

I think they will touch it after the trial and only if Trump is convicted...

I do agree they will not touch it now because they truly have no say over the trial at this point and it is the Senate ball at the moment but after the trial and again if Trump is convicted I can see the USSC taking it up and tossing the Conviction but I could be completely incorrect and if so I will gladly admit it...

Personally I would love to see Trump convicted and not allow to run again but I have no faith in McConnell to deliver the needed votes to do so, but I also believe if convicted it will not stand and the USSC will override the Senate conviction which will result in a hostile environment between the Senate and the USSC...

Thank Gawd I am not in Roberts or McConnell shoes!

Romney
Collins
McConnell
Toomey
Murkowski
Rubio
Wicker
Daines
Grassley
Moran
Blunt
Burr
Hoeven
Lankford
Thune

Those are the likely votes for conviction. Rubio will seek the GOP establishment embrace rather than the "revolutionary" Trumpy one, especially with noise about Vanky challenging him in 2022. But only if Mitch leads the way.

McConnell is obviously the key. If he votes to convict it allows Grassley, Wicker, and some of the other old guard, near-retirement Republicans who know that Trump is a dangerous fraud.

As much as McConnell hate Trump I do not see him convicting Trump and just instead telling Trump to watch his back because the State of New York will get him instead...

I think McConnell is sick of Trump's tantrums, incompetence and the damage he's done to the GOP. Politically speaking Trump has been a disaster for Republicans. In 4 short years he lost them the house, the senate and the presidency. With the GOP having wiped its ass with its entire brand.

Though I suspect your right on him convicting Trump: its not going to happen. Trump will be tried in the Senate and not found guilty.

I can see them getting 66 votes and say well we were just one shy and Trump walking out the door with that smirk on his damn face knowing he got away with it again...

I just do not see Trump being convicted but with that I see the GOP being destroyed for decades to come because of all this...

The SCOTUS won't touch it. Its clearly within the exclusive realm of the Senate.

They do every day when they exercise their authority. As does the Executive and the House. Every branch of government gets to interpret the constitution. The SCOTUS just gets the last say if they decide they do.

And the SCOTUS won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. As the sole authority of trying impeachment is the Senate's. The constitution is crystal clear, saying exactly that.

Trump's not being convicted. And the SCOTUS won't touch it. They loathe to override and interfere in the exercise of power of other branches. Especially on issues of impeachment. They've never challenged the Senate's authority over impeachment trials.

And there's zero indication they're about to start.

Remember, there have already been impeachment trials of individuals who have already left office before the trial begins. And the USSC did nothing to stop it.

Personally I would love to see Trump convicted and not allow to run again but I have no faith in McConnell to deliver the needed votes to do so, but I also believe if convicted it will not stand and the USSC will override the Senate conviction which will result in a hostile environment between the Senate and the USSC...

Roberts isn't getting involved. Leahy is presiding over the trial.

Romney
Collins
McConnell
Toomey
Murkowski
Rubio
Wicker
Daines
Grassley
Moran
Blunt
Burr
Hoeven
Lankford
Thune

I can see them getting 66 votes and say well we were just one shy and Trump walking out the door with that smirk on his damn face knowing he got away with it again...

I just do not see Trump being convicted but with that I see the GOP being destroyed for decades to come because of all this...

The GOP will be fine. I mean, as fine as a party can be after its utterly destroyed its own brand and embraced the most batshit of conspiracy theories that inspired an insurrection.

Trump's not being convicted. And the SCOTUS won't touch it. They loathe to override and interfere in the exercise of power of other branches. Especially on issues of impeachment. They've never challenged the Senate's authority over impeachment trials.

And there's zero indication they're about to start.

Remember, there have already been impeachment trials of individuals who have already left office before the trial begins. And the USSC did nothing to stop it.

Roberts isn't getting involved. Leahy is presiding over the trial.

I know Roberts is not involved in the Senate trial but would be involved in the USSC hearing if a conviction were to happen...

So let get that straight and we both agree a possible conviction is not possible with the fact so many GOP members fear Trump and his base...

McConnell does not have the power to deliver the conviction...

I do believe the USSC would listen to a case about the conviction seeing it is about the President or a former one being convicted after he left office even though the Impeachment happened during his tenure...

Just my opinion but I could be completely wrong and let remember the USSC has before overstepped it authority and if you need a good reminder the 2000 election...

Romney
Collins
McConnell
Toomey
Murkowski
Rubio
Wicker
Daines
Grassley
Moran
Blunt
Burr
Hoeven
Lankford
Thune

The GOP will be fine. I mean, as fine as a party can be after its utterly destroyed its own brand and embraced the most batshit of conspiracy theories that inspired an insurrection.

I truly do not think so...

I truly believe Trump destroyed the GOP which Nixon and George W. Bush could not do.

If they survive this it will be a shell of themselves and will take awhile to recover and let me be clear they do not have a Reagan to bring them back together...

"judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States.”
"judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States.”
He cant be removed. Therefore he cant have anything taken away.

Says who? The constitution cites only LIMITS to the extent of punishment. Neither limit is cited as a REQUIREMENT of an impeachment trial.

You made that up.

There's no such limit to the Senate's authority over impeachment trials.
I didnt say they couldnt hear it, did i?

Forum List

Back