Conspiracy Theory or Reality?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Why is it that allegations of malfeasance by the Left are assigned to Conspiracy Theories while allegations against the Right are treated as legitimate opinion posts? One need look no further than the Trump-Russia hoax as a stark example of the Leftist bias built into this forum. While baseless charges of collusion between President Trump and Russia were routinely allowed to remain in the Politics and even Clean Debate forums, any suggestion that these were a disingenuous invention of the Left were treated with scorn and sent to the "Jesse Ventura" forum.

Another example of the structural bias built into these forums is the fact that there is a Tea Party forum, which was set aside for (politically incorrect) conservative opinions, but there is no corresponding Green Party forum set aside for their claims of impending planetary doom.

Apparently, allegations of conservative conspiracies are treated as fact until disproven, whereas allegations of leftist conspiracies are treated in the opposite manner. Why is that?

Why is it that allegations of malfeasance by the Left are assigned to Conspiracy Theories while allegations against the Right are treated as legitimate opinion posts? One need look no further than the Trump-Russia hoax as a stark example of the Leftist bias built into this forum. While baseless charges of collusion between President Trump and Russia were routinely allowed to remain in the Politics and even Clean Debate forums, any suggestion that these were a disingenuous invention of the Left were treated with scorn and sent to the "Jesse Ventura" forum.

Another example of the structural bias built into these forums is the fact that there is a Tea Party forum, which was set aside for (politically incorrect) conservative opinions, but there is no corresponding Green Party forum set aside for their claims of impending planetary doom.

Apparently, allegations of conservative conspiracies are treated as fact until disproven, whereas allegations of leftist conspiracies are treated in the opposite manner. Why is that?
Because most of the right wing claims have been proven to be really crazy bullshit.

Because most of the right wing claims have been proven to be really crazy bullshit.
As usual, your inability to address the topic or provide any pertinent examples serves to reinforce my assertions.

As usual, your inability to address the topic or provide any pertinent examples serves to reinforce my assertions.
You're such a hoot. I gave a direct answer to the goofy question. Your response to that is typical trump party blathering.

“Conspiracy theories,” as a term, gets an overall bad rap. People make a mistake in lumping all conspiracy theories into one pile. Some are obviously retarded. Some have perfectly valid well grounded factual bases.

Prosecutors often charge defendants with “conspiracy.” All it means is that a person planned to commit a crime with other or others. See? They conspired together. People sometimes do enter into conspiracies after all.

So, the thread headline is misleading. A conspiracy theory may also sometimes BE Reality.

That said, if some conspiracy theories get tossed into the basement while others get left to run their course in a more meaningful forum, it might be a sign of mod prejudice. But maybe it has something to do with the nature of the alleged conspiracy and the presence of absence of a reasonable factual basis for the theory.

maybe it has something to do with the nature of the alleged conspiracy and the presence of absence of a reasonable factual basis for the theory.
1. What do you mean by the nature of the alleged conspiracy? Pro/anti Trump?

2. Who determines if there is a reasonable factual basis for the theory? Hillary Clinton?

1. What do you mean by the nature of the alleged conspiracy? Pro/anti Trump?

2. Who determines if there is a reasonable factual basis for the theory? Hillary Clinton?
Conspiracy has a much broader meaning than your silly limited political one. So, no. By “nature” of an alleged conspiracy, I meant exactly what I already said. Is it one premised on verifiable and credible facts and supported by a rational coherent theory? Or is it mere facially absurd alleged “facts” supported only by irrational logic.

Any of us are free to contemplate those things. I can determine if someone makes silly conspiracy theory claims about the moon landing having been “faked.” I wouldn’t trust anything Shrillary Clinton says about anything without absolutely credible verification. I have no idea why you’d bring that sow into this.

Conspiracy has a much broader meaning than your silly limited political one. So, no. By “nature” of an alleged conspiracy, I meant exactly what I already said. Is it one premised on verifiable and credible facts and supported by a rational coherent theory? Or is it mere facially absurd alleged “facts” supported only by irrational logic.

Any of us are free to contemplate those things. I can determine if someone makes silly conspiracy theory claims about the moon landing having been “faked.” I wouldn’t trust anything Shrillary Clinton says about anything without absolutely credible verification. I have no idea why you’d bring that sow into this.
1. The "nature" of an alleged conspiracy relates to its subject matter, not whether it is "premised on verifiable and credible facts and supported by a rational coherent theory."

2. While it is true that any of us are free to contemplate those things, only a select few have the power to decide these things on this forum.

3. My reference to Hillary Clinton is directly related to the example I provided of Trump's alleged collusion with the Russians. That lie, propagated by her campaign, was awarded the status of legitimate news on this forum, whereas its disputation was immediately denigrated as a Conspiracy Theory.

“Conspiracy theories,” as a term, gets an overall bad rap. People make a mistake in lumping all conspiracy theories into one pile. Some are obviously retarded. Some have perfectly valid well grounded factual bases.

Prosecutors often charge defendants with “conspiracy.” All it means is that a person planned to commit a crime with other or others. See? They conspired together. People sometimes do enter into conspiracies after all.

So, the thread headline is misleading. A conspiracy theory may also sometimes BE Reality.

That said, if some conspiracy theories get tossed into the basement while others get left to run their course in a more meaningful forum, it might be a sign of mod prejudice. But maybe it has something to do with the nature of the alleged conspiracy and the presence of absence of a reasonable factual basis for the theory.
The fact remains that the term has gained a specific meaning in common usage that might not match the dictionary meaning. Like it or not, conspiracy theories are exclusively the domain of conspiracy theory nuts

1. The "nature" of an alleged conspiracy relates to its subject matter, not whether it is "premised on verifiable and credible facts and supported by a rational coherent theory."

2. While it is true that any of us are free to contemplate those things, only a select few have the power to decide these things on this forum.

3. My reference to Hillary Clinton is directly related to the example I provided of Trump's alleged collusion with the Russians. That lie, propagated by her campaign, was awarded the status of legitimate news on this forum, whereas its disputation was immediately denigrated as a Conspiracy Theory.
The nature of a conspiracy theory isn’t limited to your definition. A conspiracy theory is often preceded by a term like “kooky.” And that’s done Regardless of what the theory is about. So, you’re only about half right.

And anybody is allowed to decide things in this forum. For example, I might decide that a board member is a simpleton and so forth. I don’t need any special authority to do so. If what you are trying to do say is that only a mod has the authority (on this Board) to place a thread into a regular forum or a conspiracy forum, you are merely pointing out something that isn’t even debated.

I happen to agree with you that the placement of a thread into the conspiracy category can be a mistake. And it can be a mistake made for political reasons rather than for valid reasons. I also agree with you not simply that the Trump/Russia “collusion” claim was always baseless, but that it was largely the product of Shrillary and the DNC’s paid-for dishonesty. Placing such a thread in a conspiracy forum is apparently a political determination that the contention is somehow “kooky.” It isn’t. In fact, a fair amount of factual information has come out even recently to substantiate it.

This is why I took pains to differentiate a kooky conspiracy theory from a reasonable conspiracy theory.

Forum List

Back