Conservatives Beginning to Recognize Global Warming

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
Yesterday I picked up a copy of The Economist. Much to my surprise, the conservative magazine had put Global Warming on their cover. Yes, this is the same magazine that has denied Global Warming's existence.

The Drudge Report still linked the new NOAA report under the misleading title: "2006 temps fail to break records".

The headline did not say what the report revealed: 47 states had 'higher than normal' summer temps and 20 states were 'much higher than normal'. Those are just summer temps. The January to August averages reveal a worse picture: 5 states set records, all were at least 'higher than normal' and 34 were 'much higher than normal'.

The drilling in Greenland has revealed that in 120,000 years the Earth has never warmed so quickly.

The Economist article emphasized that the problem will get solved. I think it is time for the Republicans to dump there 901st rule science so we can solve this before it has any kind of major impact on our lives.

I wish it were true...but alas where I live N/Nevada Mother nature is a little early...Low 35 high 55...seems as if fall is about a month early at least where I live...so much for 'Al' the know it alls theory!:teeth:

On the light side and good side...My GD has her second run today for the Cross Country season at Lake Tahoe...last night I told her it was going to be cold and maybe wet tomorrow...she laughed and said...'no problemo...I will cut at least 5 minutes off my time for the 3.5 mile run...want to get the hell outta there'...Life is so cool when ya have cool kids...:happy2:

There were scientists around 120000 years ago that documented this??!! wow...

Ice measures heat and precipitation the same way as tree rings. Years are represented by ice layers, and ice layers vary based on climate.

I wish it were true...but alas where I live N/Nevada Mother nature is a little early...Low 35 high 55...seems as if fall is about a month early at least where I live...so much for 'Al' the know it alls theory!

Global warming is not based on a single day, week, month of the year--it is based on an overall trend. In fact, your state just had its hottest summer in its recorded history.

Ice measures heat and precipitation the same way as tree rings. Years are represented by ice layers, and ice layers vary based on climate.

Global warming is not based on a single day, week, month of the year--it is based on an overall trend. In fact, your state just had its hottest summer in its recorded history.

Sorry Dude I live here...I experience that which occurs on a daily basis...hottest summer in recorded history...lol...and ya live here? Gimme a break( Nevada's temperature and rain,snow whatever changes from minute to minute)...Al Gore wannabee...and for the record I grew up in California...and now ya will tell me I have no knowledge of the history of Californias hottest recorded month?

Sorry Dude I live here...I experience that which occurs on a daily basis...hottest summer in recorded history...lol...and ya live here? Gimme a break( Nevada's temperature and rain,snow whatever changes from minute to minute)...Al Gore wannabee...and for the record I grew up in California...and now ya will tell me I have no knowledge of the history of Californias hottest recorded month?

A link I picked up on the Drudge Report:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2700.htm

As you can see, Nevada experienced the warmest June-August period in the state's recorded history. Your subjective experience is great, but I am going to trust NOAA.

A link I picked up on the Drudge Report:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2700.htm

As you can see, Nevada experienced the warmest June-August period in the state's recorded history. Your subjective experience is great, but I am going to trust NOAA.

and this is where you and yours fail history...if it is said on-line it must be true...and you and Al invented the internet...no? Sorry I am old fashioned I have to experience it to believe it!...Call it Missouri complex..but hey it works for me..what I see is what I get...gotta problem with this vote for Al...he will save your sorry ass...(borrowed from Pale Riders analogies):guitar1:

Yesterday I picked up a copy of The Economist. Much to my surprise, the conservative magazine had put Global Warming on their cover. Yes, this is the same magazine that has denied Global Warming's existence.

The Drudge Report still linked the new NOAA report under the misleading title: "2006 temps fail to break records".

The headline did not say what the report revealed: 47 states had 'higher than normal' summer temps and 20 states were 'much higher than normal'. Those are just summer temps. The January to August averages reveal a worse picture: 5 states set records, all were at least 'higher than normal' and 34 were 'much higher than normal'.

The drilling in Greenland has revealed that in 120,000 years the Earth has never warmed so quickly.

The Economist article emphasized that the problem will get solved. I think it is time for the Republicans to dump there 901st rule science so we can solve this before it has any kind of major impact on our lives.

What a joke. Conservatives never DENIED global warming. We just don't buy off the bullshit, tree-hugger theories that's all because of something WE are doing instead of just a natural, cyclical change in the Earth's temperature.

What a joke. Conservatives never DENIED global warming. We just don't buy off the bullshit, tree-hugger theories that's all because of something WE are doing instead of just a natural, cyclical change in the Earth's temperature.

I know...I thought the liberals were the believers of the theory evolution? Isn't a double standard to say humans CAN evolve, but the Earth CAN'T?

Heh, days/weeks/months are not a sufficiently large time frame, but a year is?

There may very well be global warming, but I still haven't heard an explanation as to why we should think this trend is man-made, when we know very well that there are cyclical fluctuations every 25,000 years or so. The last ice age ended catastrophically, with sea levels rising 100+ meters almost overnight (in geologic terms that is).

And apparantly, Greenland provides a perfect cross section of the temperature of the entire world, right? What about Canadian glaciers? What about the northern ice cap? What about Antarctica? Antarctica's ice shelf is actually...GROWING. In fact, when you look at all the ice shelfs, and not just Greenland, it's far easier to conclude that only Greenland is warming, possible due to a shift in the Gulf Stream current. Also, summer 1936 was far hotter worldwide than summer 2006. Seriously, claiming global warming based solely on readings from Greenland is like measuring global rainfall solely from the Sahara.

The liberals who are global warming fanatics do not understand the idea of global temperature fluctuations.

A lot of scientific scholarship actually believes that we are still coming out of the last ice age. Hence the slow warming. A hundred years from now, the global temperature fluctuation may go in another direction.

There is absolutely ZERO proof the global temperature fluctuation is made made. Mother nature has worked like this for thousands of years.

The Earth does go through natural changes...EXTREME natural changes. I learned in my Geology courses that North America extended roughly 100 miles along the East Coast during the last Ice Age.

The Earth cools, the Earth warms...naturally. The problem is that the Earth does not cool or warm at this rate. In the 1970's it was thought that the Earth was cooling (and cooling too quickly to be natural) and it was thought the result would be famine. Scientists blamed the problem on sulfur emissions. Environmental standars were increased, the sulfur emissions were patrolled, and the cooling problem disappeared as quickly as it arrived.

And apparantly, Greenland provides a perfect cross section of the temperature of the entire world, right? What about Canadian glaciers? What about the northern ice cap? What about Antarctica? Antarctica's ice shelf is actually...GROWING. In fact, when you look at all the ice shelfs, and not just Greenland, it's far easier to conclude that only Greenland is warming, possible due to a shift in the Gulf Stream current. Also, summer 1936 was far hotter worldwide than summer 2006. Seriously, claiming global warming based solely on readings from Greenland is like measuring global rainfall solely from the Sahara.

If you do not know the topic, why post?

The fear is that the Gulf Stream will die out as a result of the warming. If the Gulf Stream dies, North America will heat up and Europe will freeze. The Gulf Stream moves up the Atlantic toward Greenland. Hence, we study Greenland.

But don't worry, Glaciers all over the world are being impacted and shrinking.

If the climate changes, we will adapt. Its how we have lived for thousands of years.

The Earth does go through natural changes...EXTREME natural changes. I learned in my Geology courses that North America extended roughly 100 miles along the East Coast during the last Ice Age.

The Earth cools, the Earth warms...naturally. The problem is that the Earth does not cool or warm at this rate. In the 1970's it was thought that the Earth was cooling (and cooling too quickly to be natural) and it was thought the result would be famine. Scientists blamed the problem on sulfur emissions. Environmental standars were increased, the sulfur emissions were patrolled, and the cooling problem disappeared as quickly as it arrived.

If you do not know the topic, why post?

The fear is that the Gulf Stream will die out as a result of the warming. If the Gulf Stream dies, North America will heat up and Europe will freeze. The Gulf Stream moves up the Atlantic toward Greenland. Hence, we study Greenland.

But don't worry, Glaciers all over the world are being impacted and shrinking.

That's just out and out false. Prove me wrong.

I wish it were true...but alas where I live N/Nevada Mother nature is a little early...Low 35 high 55...seems as if fall is about a month early at least where I live...so much for 'Al' the know it alls theory!:teeth:

On the light side and good side...My GD has her second run today for the Cross Country season at Lake Tahoe...last night I told her it was going to be cold and maybe wet tomorrow...she laughed and said...'no problemo...I will cut at least 5 minutes off my time for the 3.5 mile run...want to get the hell outta there'...Life is so cool when ya have cool kids...:happy2:

The GD made her run at Tahoe...was snowing 3" snow on the ground...she finished top 10...22 minutes for the 3.5 mile run...hoo rah!

New Topics

Forum List

Back