Congressman: ‘I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage’

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) told the National Journal that he thinks the country should get rid of the minimum wage. “I think it’s outlived its usefulness,” he said. “It may have been of some value back in the Great Depression. I would vote to repeal the minimum wage.” http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-house/can-obama-unilaterally-raise-the-minimum-wage-20131205

Barton’s not the only lawmaker to hold such a view. In June, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) told a meeting of the Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee to mark 75 years since the signing of the Federal Labor Standards Act, which guaranteed a minimum wage, that he “do[es] not believe in it” and that he would abolish the minimum wage. And while he hasn’t called for the full repeal of the minimum wage, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has said, “I don’t think a minimum wage law works.”

Congressman: 'I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage' | ThinkProgress

These people want other people living in shit on the side of the street. The minimum wage demands fairness for the workers.

If you can't get 7.25/hour to hardly pay for food after you're done working. You're no more then a slave. These bastards want Africa, mexico or china for Americans.

Last edited:
Logic dictates that one would only want to eliminate the minimum wage if one wanted to give employers the ability to pay even less than they do now.

yeah, the various econ theories aside, back when I was in HS and got min wage, or near it, I got raises when it went up. So, even if the economists who argue against it are right, which I doubt, it's simply a political loser positon unless you're in a district that is dominated by older white people on soc sec or in the top 20%.

yeah, the various econ theories aside, back when I was in HS and got min wage, or near it, I got raises when it went up. So, even if the economists who argue against it are right, which I doubt, it's simply a political loser positon unless you're in a district that is dominated by older white people on soc sec or in the top 20%.

you were getting raises because the economy was growing, the unemployment was low and if you were a good worker, you were appreciated.
Now we have economy in stagnation, extremely high unemployment rate and one worker can be substituted by 10 others any second he is fired.

The minimum wage is not going to be raised in such conditions and should not.
because it will cause just more misery to those whom it is supposed to help.

Making the economy grow, stimulate jobs creation - THAT is going to raise the minimum wage by itself.

Logic dictates that one would only want to eliminate the minimum wage if one wanted to give employers the ability to pay even less than they do now.

Exactly. Why pay an Indian slave wages for a call center when you can do it here?

well, strangle the small business by more government regulations, impose more obamacare-idiocy and expect the wages to grow - a typical leftard image of economy :lol:

Who wants to buy a 40 dollar drive thru meal? Just do it. I love it. Destroy this industry. Give it liberals. YAY!!!

The food is shit. The service is lousy. I'll buy kobe beef and eat at home.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) told the National Journal that he thinks the country should get rid of the minimum wage. “I think it’s outlived its usefulness,” he said. “It may have been of some value back in the Great Depression. I would vote to repeal the minimum wage.” Can Obama Unilaterally Raise the Minimum Wage? - NationalJournal.com

Barton’s not the only lawmaker to hold such a view. In June, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) told a meeting of the Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee to mark 75 years since the signing of the Federal Labor Standards Act, which guaranteed a minimum wage, that he “do[es] not believe in it” and that he would abolish the minimum wage. And while he hasn’t called for the full repeal of the minimum wage, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has said, “I don’t think a minimum wage law works.”

Congressman: 'I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage' | ThinkProgress

These people want other people living in shit on the side of the street. The minimum wage demands fairness for the workers.

If you can't get 7.25/hour to hardly pay for food after you're done working. You're no more then a slave. These bastards want Africa, mexico or china for Americans.

Unfortunately, I don't live in his district so I can't vote for him next time around.

I don't need some government entity deciding what the minimum value for a persons labor is worth, regardless of their skillset.
For example, Fred, the mentally retarded person that only has enough skill to sweep a floor, will be permanently eliminated from employment opportunities at the moment that floor sweepers have to be paid a wage in excess of the value that floor sweepers provide.
Some people may be ok with Fred not having a job, but I prefer he has one since he wants one. Low wages are better than no wages. Why do liberals want to keep people like Fred from having jobs that mean something to them?

Completely ignored is that all wages would immediately plummet and small businesses would die.

1424529_683406928347842_164675610_n.jpg

Also ignored is that Bolton is a bottom feeder who does nothing FOR the US. Remember, he's the one who wanted a formal written apology AND financial payback from US taxpayers to bp because our shoreline got in the way of bp's mechanical failure caused by their own cheap materials. He needs to go live in China.

you were getting raises because the economy was growing, the unemployment was low and if you were a good worker, you were appreciated.
Now we have economy in stagnation, extremely high unemployment rate and one worker can be substituted by 10 others any second he is fired.

The minimum wage is not going to be raised in such conditions and should not.
because it will cause just more misery to those whom it is supposed to help.

Making the economy grow, stimulate jobs creation - THAT is going to raise the minimum wage by itself.

Sure, a rising tide helps. But what good is it when the monied elites / business owners pay take home the lion's share of a business's productivity while Labor takes home crumbs.

If there were no minimum wage, no unions, no worker rights, no environmental regulations, etc., Labor, including childredn, would be working in hellish conditions for food/subsistence.

If not, where's the noblesse oblige?

Who wants to buy a 40 dollar drive thru meal? Just do it. I love it. Destroy this industry. Give it liberals. YAY!!!

The food is shit. The service is lousy. I'll buy kobe beef and eat at home.

Funny thing about liberals that think low wage workers deserve more money.
They could always tip them.
I wonder how many liberals actually tip the McDonalds employees that they think deserves a higher wage. They could do it if they were that concerned, but I bet they don't.

When you raise the Minimum Wage to, say, $8.50/hr, all you're really doing is eliminating all the jobs whose labor doesn't bring in $8.50/hr or more income into the business.

Actually, you're eliminating the jobs that won't bring in ($8.50/hr plus the overhead, accounting etc. expenses) income into the business. So you're really eliminating the jobs who don't bring in $11/hr, $12/hr, or whatever the total is.

Why should an employer hire someone, if hiring him will cause a net loss to the business?

Is there still somebody here who's pretending the employer has some responsibility to the guy's family, car upkeep etc. beyond his wages?

Forum List

Back