Congress preparing to criminalize critics?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Last November, we voted Democrats into majorities in both houses of Congress. Looks like they're not wasting any time before strengthening their positions.

Sounds like if this bill becomes law, if I post a note on USMessageBoard complaining about something Congress did (like this note), and 500 people read it here, I can be thrown in jail. Unless I report my activities to the Federal government, of course.

We've starting to get the government we deserve.

---------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53813

Senate bill would 'create most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever'

January 17, 2007
5:00 p.m. Eastern

The Senate is considering legislation that would regulate grassroots communications, with penalties for critics of Congress. "In what sounds like a comedy sketch from Jon Stewart's Daily Show, but isn't, the U. S. Senate would impose criminal penalties, even jail time, on grassroots causes and citizens who criticize Congress," says Richard A. Viguerie, chairman of GrassrootsFreedom.com

Section 220 of S. 1, the lobbying reform bill before the Senate, would require grassroots causes, even bloggers, who communicate to 500 or more members of the public on policy matters, to register and report quarterly to Congress, as lobbyists are required to do, Viguerie said. "Section 220 would amend existing lobbying reporting law by creating the most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever," he said.

For the first time in history, Viguerie stated, critics of Congress will need to register and report with Congress itself.

"The bill would require reporting of 'paid efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying,' but defines 'paid' merely as communications to 500 or more members of the public, with no other qualifiers," Viguerie said.

The Senate passed an amendment on the bill Jan. 9 to create criminal penalties, including up to one year in jail, if someone "knowingly and willingly fails to file or report."

Viguerie said the legislation regulates small, legitimate nonprofits, bloggers, and individuals, but creates loopholes for corporations, unions, and large membership organizations that would be able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars, yet not report.

why do you pretend this is a left right issue. the Republicans in congress will no doubt offer their support to this move , just like Democrats gave their support to the patriot act . it is all about silencing the 911 truth movement
and the growing awareness of the new world order...so let me state for the record 911 was an inside job. both the left and the right serve the new world order communist globalist agenda of the c.f.r tir lateral commission .the bilderburgs ect... we don't need elections ,we need revolution ,we need to remind the government we the people are the police ,the military and the authority

"The Technocratic Age is slowly designing an every day more controlled society. The society will be dominated by an elite of persons free from traditional values (!) who will have no doubt in fulfilling their objectives by means of purged techniques with which they will influence the behavior of people and will control and watch the society in all details". "... it will become possible to exert a practically permanent watch on each citizen of the world".

- Zbigniew Brzezinski - (Illuminati and co-founder of Trilateral Commission)

"Today, America would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order [referring to the 1991 LA Riot]. Tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told that there were an outside threat from beyond [i.e., an "extraterrestrial" invasion], whether real or promulgated [emphasis mine], that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well-being granted to them by the World Government."

Dr. Henry Kissinger, Bilderberger Conference, Evians, France, 1991

"The New World Order will have to be built from the bottom up rather than from the top down...but in the end run around national sovereignty, eroding it piece by piece will accomplish much more than the old fashioned frontal assault."

CFR member Richard Gardner, writing in the April l974 issue of the CFR's journal, Foreign Affairs

Last November, we voted Democrats into majorities in both houses of Congress. Looks like they're not wasting any time before strengthening their positions.

Sounds like if this bill becomes law, if I post a note on USMessageBoard complaining about something Congress did (like this note), and 500 people read it here, I can be thrown in jail. Unless I report my activities to the Federal government, of course.

Senate bill would 'create most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever'

January 17, 2007

The Senate is considering legislation that would regulate grassroots communications, with penalties for critics of Congress. "In what sounds like a comedy sketch from Jon Stewart's Daily Show, but isn't, the U. S. Senate would impose criminal penalties, even jail time, on grassroots causes and citizens who criticize Congress," says Richard A. Viguerie, chairman of GrassrootsFreedom.com

Section 220 of S. 1, the lobbying reform bill before the Senate, would require grassroots causes, even bloggers, who communicate to 500 or more members of the public on policy matters, to register and report quarterly to Congress, as lobbyists are required to do, Viguerie said. "Section 220 would amend existing lobbying reporting law by creating the most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever," he said.

For the first time in history, Viguerie stated, critics of Congress will need to register and report with Congress itself.

"The bill would require reporting of 'paid efforts to stimulate grassroots lobbying,' but defines 'paid' merely as communications to 500 or more members of the public, with no other qualifiers," Viguerie said.

The Senate passed an amendment on the bill Jan. 9 to create criminal penalties, including up to one year in jail, if someone "knowingly and willingly fails to file or report."

Viguerie said the legislation regulates small, legitimate nonprofits, bloggers, and individuals, but creates loopholes for corporations, unions, and large membership organizations that would be able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars, yet not report.

Fascist bullshit.

“Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

And this is another fine example. For all the crap that the left throws at conservatives about how they are fascists and the like, the only people who truly live up to the label of fascist are those on the left.

“You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing.” - Thomas Sowell

This is another example of how government and politicians can meddle in and muddle up issues to which they have no hope of finding a better solution than what the free market provides, yet they feel the need to impose themselves on the situation to the detriment of the public at-large. In the end, the process becomes everything and the results become nothing.

January 17, 2007

boy are they going to be pissed when they lose congress then get put in jail for complaining about it

Not that I place a great deal of trust in the SCOTUS but I don't think such a law would pass muster as being constitutional. It places way too much burden of proof on the government in that they would have to prove that at least 500 or more people read a particular blog or forum posting. Getting that information would require some serious court battles since ISPs have been more willing to fight the government in court to protect their information.

Not that I place a great deal of trust in the SCOTUS but
You have good reason to be skeptical. It wasn't that long ago that practically the same SCOTUS decided that the Campaign Finance "Reform" act was CONSTITUTIONAL. You know, the one that forbids political speech before elections.

If we can get one or two more Alito types on the Court, and get rid of a few Ginsburgs and Souters, we might actually start seeing a return to the days when the Court rulings and the Constitution had something in common.

Well, I can dream, can't I? :eusa_whistle:

Well this is from the "WORLDNETDAILY" riech wing website and seems a bit suspicious. Haven't seen this story in the other main news networks. Even dems would be stupid to do something like this. This would be like emulating Neocons.....only worse.

Not that I place a great deal of trust in the SCOTUS but I don't think such a law would pass muster as being constitutional. It places way too much burden of proof on the government in that they would have to prove that at least 500 or more people read a particular blog or forum posting. Getting that information would require some serious court battles since ISPs have been more willing to fight the government in court to protect their information.

The very fact that they would even consider such a law in the first place, much less approve it overwhelmingly, is disturbing. And the supreme courts have shown us, time and time again, that we cannot rely on one branch of the feds to police another branch.

Well this is from the "WORLDNETDAILY" riech wing website and seems a bit suspicious. Haven't seen this story in the other main news networks. Even dems would be stupid to do something like this. This would be like emulating Neocons.....only worse.

WND is certainly biased, and I don't blame you for being suspicious, but if you go to the grassroots website, they have a letter from the ACLU opposing this.

http://www.grassrootsfreedom.com/gw3/articles-news/articles.php?CMSCategoryID=23

As usual, your name calling is off the mark, and the exact opposite is true.

New Topics

Forum List

Back