Congress is ready to "help" us, again.

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
I can't say it enough, Congress is a mess, politics in general is a mess. How is this going to help the American people? How does this help the economy? Higher gas prices mean higher hauling costs, which in turn means high prices for food stuffs as well as everything else we buy.

Gas at $6 per gallon? Get ready.
By Jim Wooten
Thursday, June 21, 2007, 08:15 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Get ready for Congress to solve the energy problem just as it has previously solved the illegal immigration problem. A bill being debated in the Senate this week is described by some of its supporters as “far from perfect” but “a good start.”

A good start, yes, to higher gas and food prices, to new taxes and to forcing consumers to pay for high-cost “renewable” energy sources - solar and wind, for example - that are to energy independence what bicycle trails are to traffic-congestion relief.

The Senate bill, grandiosely and falsely dubbed the Renewable Fuels, Consumer Protection and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007, should come with a section prohibiting price gouging - by Congress. The legislation “could result in significantly higher prices for gasoline consumers,” ...

“A review of S. 1419, including the just-completed section on tax changes, reveals that the bill could increase the price of regular unleaded gasoline from $3.14 per gallon (the early May national average) to $6.40 in 2016 - a 104 percent increase,”...

“Gas consumers can expect to pay between $3.16 and $3.79 a gallon for gas in 2008 after adding in the estimated impact of the Senate energy bill. By 2016, all states can expect gas prices in excess of $6. As a result of S. 1419, consumers would spend an average of $1445 more per year on gasoline in 2016 than in 2008,”...

With the the concurrence of the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, Charles Grassley of Iowa, and others (Gordon Smith of Oregon, Olympia Snowe of Maine and Pat Roberts of Kansas, all Republican), the committee is proposing $29 billion in new taxes on oil companies. The tax is to subsidize wind and solar power, hybrid vehicles and biofuel. The bill calls for a sharp increase in the use “renewables,” including heavily-subsidized ethanol, up from 8.5 billion gallons next year to 36 billion gallons by 2022. And it requires, too, that utilities would be required to buy at least 15 percent of their energy from wind, solar and other ““renewable” sources.

Ethanol requires more energy to produce than it generates as fuel, to say nothing of the water required for irrigation in areas like drought-stricken South Georgia. It’s subsidized by taxpayers with a 51-cents per gallon tax credit, and it’’s subsidized again at the pump with a 54-cents-a-gallon tariff on imported ethanol. Go figure.

The provision, too, that would “protect” consumers from “price gouging” is an invitation to price controls. And that’s an invitation to economic disaster. This comes, incidentally, despite the fact that no reputable studies establish that price gouging has occurred.

Borders were made secure and the illegal immigration problem was solved in 1986. And now the energy problem is about to be solved, too.

Gas at $6 per gallon? Get ready.

Yeah, fix the energy problem like you did the illegal immigration problem. :eusa_wall:

Talk about spin. Last I checked the Democrats control the Senate, yet this "Bill" is being blamed on the Republicans. I see no democrats name mentioned AT all, in fact I see no mention of the Democrats AT all.

Talk about spin. Last I checked the Democrats control the Senate, yet this "Bill" is being blamed on the Republicans. I see no democrats name mentioned AT all, in fact I see no mention of the Democrats AT all.

Funny, isn't? The name of the guy's column is ThinkingRight: Jim Wooten's Common Sense Conservatism.

Perhaps his interest is calling out the Republicans he takes issue with? Having not read his work prior to this article, I can't testify to his political leanings, he may be a liberal in conservative clothing.

Though Edwin Meese is on the board of The Heritage Foundation, which is the source of the statistics and quotes for the piece.

I can't say it enough, Congress is a mess, politics in general is a mess. How is this going to help the American people? How does this help the economy? Higher gas prices mean higher hauling costs, which in turn means high prices for food stuffs as well as everything else we buy.

Yeah, fix the energy problem like you did the illegal immigration problem. :eusa_wall:

Meredith Vieira Ponders: 'Would We Be Better Off If Gas Prices Were Even Higher?'
Posted by Geoffrey Dickens on June 21, 2007 - 12:23.

NBC Today co-host Meredith Vieira opened her Today at the Pump segment cheering the recent decrease in gas prices as "sweet relief" but then wondered: "Would we be better off...if gas prices were even higher?" On this morning's Today show, Vieira invited on Chevron’s CEO, David O’Reilly, to harass him about getting America off its "dependence" on oil and cited critics of Chevron’s allocation of profits to find alternative sources of energy as merely, "symbolic."

http://newsbusters.org/node/13637

Meredith Vieira Ponders: 'Would We Be Better Off If Gas Prices Were Even Higher?'
Posted by Geoffrey Dickens on June 21, 2007 - 12:23.

NBC Today co-host Meredith Vieira opened her Today at the Pump segment cheering the recent decrease in gas prices as "sweet relief" but then wondered: "Would we be better off...if gas prices were even higher?" On this morning's Today show, Vieira invited on Chevron’s CEO, David O’Reilly, to harass him about getting America off its "dependence" on oil and cited critics of Chevron’s allocation of profits to find alternative sources of energy as merely, "symbolic."

http://newsbusters.org/node/13637

Easy for her, she takes the train to work.

Attachments

• $2006-08-22.png
    $2006-08-22.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 78
It won't help the economy. In the short term. But it will make the fall that we are going to have slower and easier.

Umm I figure we will be paying $6/gal or more for gas within 5-10 years anyway.
In that time or less we (the world) will be wanting more oil than is being pumped from the ground....

We can pay now or later, but the late payment is costlier and more painful.

Umm I figure we will be paying $6/gal or more for gas within 5-10 years anyway.
In that time or less we (the world) will be wanting more oil than is being pumped from the ground....

We can pay now or later, but the late payment is costlier and more painful.

or we can start drilling for our own oil and build/expand our refineries

to bad the enviro wackos block those attempts

We should be doing nuclear. And no, there are very limited oil reserves in Alaska. Its huge for Alaska, but compared to the consumption rate in the US, it won't last long at all.

I don't think all the estimated oil reserves of the USA would run us 10 years at current consumption rates.

I guess we will have breeder reactors in our cars ? Darn! how would you lkie to sit astraddle of a reactor on your Harley ?

Just get a couple of pebble beds. Those are pretty safe and built of small modular units ;)

As for the Harley, use a lead cloak for a saddle.

The point with using oil is that using it has negative externalities. That is, it exacts costs on people other than those who are using it. That is, there are all sorts of costs caused by my driving that I don't pay, but others have to pay. Several examples would be that my driving increases congestion, contributes to global warming, makes it more likely I will hit a pedestrian, etc. There are a number of reasons why we should increase the tax on gas. Greg Mankiw, a preeminent Economist, has a nice little article on it.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/10/pigou-club-manifesto.html

I don't think all the estimated oil reserves of the USA would run us 10 years at current consumption rates.

Here is only one oil find besides Alaska

Huge Oil Reserve Found In The Gulf
Chevron Thinks It Might Have Found As Much As 15 Billion Barrels

(CBS/AP) Results from a deep-water test well in the Gulf of Mexico suggest a new pool of oil and gas that could boost U.S. reserves by as much as 50 percent.

Chevron Corp. on Tuesday estimated the 300-square-mile region where its test well sits could hold between 3 billion and 15 billion barrels of oil and natural gas liquids. Analysts are calling it the most significant domestic discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe Bay more than a generation ago.

It will take many years and tens of billions of dollars to bring the oil to market, but the discovery carries particular importance for the entire industry at a time when Western oil and gas companies are finding fewer opportunities in politically unstable parts of the world, including the Middle East, Africa and Russia.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/05/business/main1969353.shtml

Forum List

Back