Congress Has the Power to Override Supreme Court Rulings, my friends

• Banned
  • Banned
i bet you didn't know that, my friends

Clicked on your link and got a subscription notice. Can you do a copy and paste of the article?
it's far far too long...
Okay, if you say so.
I'm gonna eat some Thanksgiving leftovers. It's always better the next day. Cheers.

Congress writes law (allegedly)- courts apply it (allegedly), both are feckless and a waste of oxygen.

“Federal lawmakers have for too long accepted the rulings of the Supreme Court as intractable, when they have the power to respond in many cases.” ibid

Having the power to do something and being able to use that power are two different things, regardless the case at issue.

Judicial overrides are certainly not going to happen when each chamber of Congress is controlled by different parties.

Indeed, even when both chambers are controlled by one party, if the majority is slim in either chamber it will have the same effect as divided chambers.

Republican lawmakers will always have the ability to obstruct Democratic efforts to override rulings by this conservative Court.

Consequently, Federal lawmakers are correct to perceive rulings of the Supreme Court as being intractable for partisan reasons, not because they lack the authority to do so.

Among the more infamous examples of wrongheaded judicial overrides came in response to Employment Div. v. Smith (1990).

In 1993 Congress passed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA).

The Act undermined the fundamental wisdom of the Employment Div. ruling: that the courts should not attempt to determine what is ‘legitimate’ religious practice and what is not; and that religious beliefs and practices should not be used as an excuse or justification to ignore or violate otherwise necessary, proper, and Constitutional laws and measures.

i bet you didn't know that, my friends

The Democrats have become equally as corporate friendly as the GOP. Their is little chance the congressional Democrats would concern themselves with Lilly Ledbetter's statute of limitations problem today. They discovered some years back that joining the congressional Republicans in protecting the financial interests of the ruling billionaire class was far more beneficial to their political careers than serving the best interests of their constituents. Constituents don't contribute to reelection campaigns with the amounts billionaires are willing to give, even billionaires from other states with no interests what-so-ever in the politicians' home districts.

These "corporate" Democrats in Washington did not just passively failing to mount a strong opposition to the impeached president trump, they have actively helped Republicans' efforts to fortify the obstacles to long-term progressive change, well after the emergency COVID subsides have been siphoned into the pockets of the ruling billionaire class.

Poll after poll continue to show that, from workers’ rights to universal healthcare, a majority of Americans support a progressive policy agenda. But, the ruling billionaire class does not, so now, the vast majority of congressional Democrats drop to their knees beside the congressional Republicans whenever a command come down from the ruling billionaire class.

From now on, the Lilly Ledbetters and all other average Americans are sh!t-out-of-luck if they expect any positive action from Congress on their behalf. Not only will the "corporate" Democrats not put up any resistance to the USSC to help protect average Americans' rights, any legislation to bolster such a ruling to strike down workers' rights, will receive the congressional Republicans' and the "corporate" Democrats' unanimous support.

Forum List

Back