Confederate constitution legalized slavery

The Confederacy only existed for a couple of years in American history but it gives low information idiots a target for hatred. The Confederacy never funded a slave ship or captured a Negro in Africa. The sad truth about the 200 years of international slavery is that the ensign that flew off slave ships wasn't the Confederate battle flag that mostly inner city northern idiots grew up hating. The flag that flew from the stern of slave ships was the British union jack and the French and Spanish flags and the Stars and Stripes. The industrial revolution would have put slavery out of business but the inept Lincoln administration couldn't wait. Innocent Southern people who had nothing to do with slavery died because Lincoln hired a drunk and a maniac to kill civilians.

The Confederacy only existed for a couple of years in American history but it gives low information idiots a target for hatred. The Confederacy never funded a slave ship or captured a Negro in Africa. The sad truth about the 200 years of international slavery is that the ensign that flew off slave ships wasn't the Confederate battle flag that mostly inner city northern idiots grew up hating. The flag that flew from the stern of slave ships was the British union jack and the French and Spanish flags and the Stars and Stripes. The industrial revolution would have put slavery out of business but the inept Lincoln administration couldn't wait. Innocent Southern people who had nothing to do with slavery died because Lincoln hired a drunk and a maniac to kill civilians.

So did the Confederate states Of America make a provision in their new Constitution that states can leave the CSA if unhappy or The CSA government makes a law they don't like?

Remember that when the nutters try to claim that the Civil War wasn't about slavery.
Oddly enough, Abraham Lincoln sought to enshrine slavery into the US Constitution with his tacit support for the Corwin Amendment. Said amendment would have made the institution permanent.
The Confederate Constitution barred importation of slaves, it recognised slaves as property, but unlike Corwin it did not prevent the elimination of the institution at some future date.

So did the Confederate states Of America make a provision in their new Constitution that states can leave the CSA if unhappy or The CSA government makes a law they don't like?
Where exactly do the Confederate States of America exist? I'm still trying to find their location on this continent, but to no avail.

Remember that when the nutters try to claim that the Civil War wasn't about slavery.
Oddly enough, Abraham Lincoln sought to enshrine slavery into the US Constitution with his tacit support for the Corwin Amendment. Said amendment would have made the institution permanent.
The Confederate Constitution barred importation of slaves, it recognised slaves as property, but unlike Corwin it did not prevent the elimination of the institution at some future date.
Thank you.
:thup:

Hope all you Abe-worshipers remember that when you try saying Lincoln cared about slavery
:eusa_shhh:

EXECUTIVE MANSTON,

WASHINGTON, Aug. 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:

DEAR SIR: I have just read yours of the 19th, addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements or assumptions of fact which I may know to be erroneous, I do not now and here controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here argue against them. If there be perceptible in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing," as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time save Slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy Slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union, and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views. I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty, and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men, everywhere, could be free. Yours,

A. LINCOLN.

A LETTER FROM PRESIDENT LINCOLN. - Reply to Horace Greeley. Slavery and the Union The Restoration of the Union the Paramount Object. - NYTimes.com

The dirty secret is that the Lincoln administration could have made compensation for the border states for a couple of years and avoided the most incredible carnage in history but Lincoln appointed ass-holes made a series of bad decisions. It wasn't about slavery or state's rights. It was about stupid political confrontation that was based on emotion.

The dirty secret is that the Lincoln administration could have made compensation for the border states for a couple of years and avoided the most incredible carnage in history but Lincoln appointed ass-holes made a series of bad decisions. It wasn't about slavery or state's rights. It was about stupid political confrontation that was based on emotion.
Lincoln *tried* that. The border states would have none of it.

These were states that were not nearly as vested in slavery as the deep South, and they wanted none of it.

They were tied intensely to their "peculiar institution" and weren't about to give up their human property.

To wit:

"Historian John Hope Franklin wrote of President Lincoln :

"In the fall of 1861 he attempted an experiment with compensated emancipation in Delaware. He interested his friends there and urged them to propose it to the Delaware legislature.

He went so far as to write a draft of the bill, which provided for gradual emancipation, and another which provided that the federal government would share the expenses of compensating masters for their slaves. Although these bills were much discussed, there was too much opposition to introduce them."2 With less than 2000 slaves in the whole state, Delaware seemed like an ideal laboratory for President Lincoln's idea, but Congressman George Fisher was unable to get state legislative approval for the idea.

Meanwhile, the President worked a compensated emancipation plan for all slave-owning states. In early 1862, President Lincoln told abolitionist Mocure D. Conway that southerners "had become at an early day, when there was at least a feeble conscience against slavery, deeply involved commercially and socially with the institution.

He pitied them heartily, all the more that it had corrupted them; and he earnestly advised us to use what influence we might have to impress on the people the feeling that they should be ready and eager to share largely the pecuniary losses to which the South would be subjected if emancipation should occur. It was the disease of the entire nation, all must share the suffering of its removal."3

President Lincoln told New York businessman-journalist James R. Gilmore:

"The feeling is against slavery, not against the South. The war has educated our people into abolition, and they now deny that slaves can be property. But there are two sides to that question.

One is ours, the other, the southern side; and those people are just as honest and conscientious in their opinion as we are in ours. They think they have a moral and legal right to their slaves, and until very recently the North has been of the same opinion. For two hundred years the whole country has admitted it and regarded and treated the slaves as property. Now, does the mere fact that the North has come suddenly to a contrary opinion give us the right to take the slaves from their owners without compensation? The blacks must be freed. Slavery is the bone we are fighting over. It must be got out of the way to give us permanent peace, and if we have to fight this war till the South is subjugated, then I think we shall be justified in freeing the slaves without compensation. But in any settlement arrived at before they force things to that extremity, is it not right and fair that we should make payment for the slaves?"4

In December 1861, the President sent for Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner. ...

<snip>

Blair promised to try to work on his fellow Border State Congressmen and have them visit the President the following day. The response was not positive. Historian James M. McPherson wrote:

"At a meeting with Lincoln on March 10...border-state congressmen questioned the constitutionality of the proposal, bristled at Lincoln's warning, and deplored the anticipated race problem that would emerge with a large free black population."

President Lincoln told Carl Schurz, a diplomat-turned general, that "He was not altogether without hope that the proposition he had presented to the southern states in his message of March 6th would find favorable consideration, at least in some of the border states. He had made the proposition in perfect good faith; it was, perhaps, the last of the kind; and if they repelled it, theirs was the responsibility."12

Compensated Emancipation - Abraham Lincoln

More than slavery or more general economics I think is how the Confederates tried making a second government with its own President and such. That's why there was war.

All of which means nothing about the OP.

The CSA was all about slavery.

Lincoln never supported, tacitly or otherwise, the Corwin Amendment.

Lincoln never supported, tacitly or otherwise, the Corwin Amendment.

All said and done, the Corwin Amendment was a last ditch effort, which most all knew stood no chance of survival.

Lincoln had nothing to do with its passage. By the time he addressed it, most states had already seceded. It was a futility, and most all saw it as such.

At that point anyway - the south had already commenced hostilities. They were bound and determined to go to war and nothing was going to stop them.

The Southrons made it clear in their many declarations of independence and in a boatload of other statements, actions, laws and their own written constitution, the protection of Slavery was at the base of all.

It was the lifeblood (literally) of their economy, and they knew it.

It was about secession of states from the union. Revisionists history tells otherwise. Dumb asses, who do not know it better because they never look into historical facts, are just parroting the crap invented by the revisionists.

New Topics

Forum List

Back