Condemnation of censorship

Hopefully Social Media will lose protections of Section 230.
Section 230 is the only thing protecting this message board from getting sued due to the things you say.
The agenda here is to end free speech, despite claims to the contrary.
To the loud and enthusiastic cheering on of their constituents to boot. No one anywhere is rooting for free speech, just who controls it.

Granted, this trope is over used but that is only because it is so damn applicable.

Once again it's up to Republicans to defend free speech.
The issue is that on some forums they might shut you down for practicing that free speech. There are forums called Cruise Critic as an example and the Coviid issue is on the table. There have been some people punished by being temporarily banned. Cruising is relaxation but the opening of the ships is being argued by who can and can not go. First amendment for some. And not others.
Being 'punished' and banned is not really a problem though - you have rights just as the owner of the medium that you are trying to access has rights.

The problem comes in when banned means you have no access at all such as Amazon essentially controlling the entire book market and damn near the entire internet hosting environment.

I do not know how to address it though, government regulation of access is going to expand those entities control over the market, not contract it, and the problem will be worse.

The reason why lefties will not condemn or disavow censorship is that this form of cheating is the only way that leftyism survives.

The reason why lefties will not condemn or disavow censorship is that this form of cheating is the only way that leftyism survives.
The reason I won't condemn non-governmental censorship is because there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But then I'm not part of your two-party death spiral, and I'm not really interested in how it impacts the immediate goals of the left or the right.

The reason I won't condemn non-governmental censorship is because there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
Lefties do not see anything wrong with cheating, kinda like Muslims don't really see blowing up buildings full of infidels as terrorism.

The reason I won't condemn non-governmental censorship is because there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
Lefties do not see anything wrong with cheating, kinda like Muslims don't really see blowing up buildings full of infidels as terrorism.
I suppose. I don't see much in the way of genuine values or principles coming from either the left or the right these days. Certainly some people will cheat if they can get away with it.

Each time I post a thread about censorship, I learn more about how relevant it is to our current political landscape. My latest observation is that I have not seen any lefties condemn censorship. Every lefty who has ever replied to any of my censorship threads here has only defended censorship. I've watched lefty news and righty news, and I've never seen any lefties condemn censorship there either.

If anybody is aware of any lefties who condemn this form of cheating and corruption, I'd love to read about. Please post any links of lefties disavowing censorship if you see any or know of any. If you are a lefty who disavows censorship, I'd love to see you condemn it right here in the political topic section.

I'm not a lefty, but I adamantly oppose government censorship.

Private censorship, however, is every person's right. We all have the right to say "no".
This thread is not about free speech rights, it is only about censorship.
And censorship is about saying "No, I won't put your crap up on my website (or publish it in my paper, or whatever)". Everyone should have that right.
No need to endorse censorship, I already pointed out that this is what lefties do.

All you've done is satisfied your own confirmation bias.

Each time I post a thread about censorship, I learn more about how relevant it is to our current political landscape. My latest observation is that I have not seen any lefties condemn censorship. Every lefty who has ever replied to any of my censorship threads here has only defended censorship. I've watched lefty news and righty news, and I've never seen any lefties condemn censorship there either.

If anybody is aware of any lefties who condemn this form of cheating and corruption, I'd love to read about. Please post any links of lefties disavowing censorship if you see any or know of any. If you are a lefty who disavows censorship, I'd love to see you condemn it right here in the political topic section.

Private censorship, however, is every person's right. We all have the right to say "no".
This thread is not about free speech rights, it is only about censorship. Every lefty who has posted on any of my censorship threads has defended censorship, so I am not surprised to see you present what you like about censorship.
But I doubt you know what constitutes censorship.

I suppose. I don't see much in the way of genuine values or principles coming from either the left or the right these days. Certainly some people will cheat if they can get away with it.

People think facebook or twitter have some constitutional duty to "publish" whatever someone (even someone conspiring with our national ememies) wants published. Ben Franklin and Tom Paine only published what they wanted people to read. Facebook and Twitter only publish what they believe is in their own econ interests to publish.

From wikipedia:
Censorship
Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient." Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies. Governments and private organizations may engage in censorship.Wikipedia

This thread is not about free speech rights, it is only about censorship. Every lefty who has posted on any of my censorship threads has defended censorship, so I am not surprised to see you present what you like about censorship.
Censorship is simply the suppression of speech. The moment that free speech is suppressed, it becomes censored speech.

People think facebook or twitter have some constitutional duty to "publish"
Euphemism for "unpublishing" what has already been published, or blocking publishing.

But no one owes anyone else a duty to publish or display anything they've written. The only "right" a person has is that the GOVT may not prevent the display or speech absent some really good reason.

From wikipedia:
Censorship
Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient." Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies. Governments and private organizations may engage in censorship.Wikipedia
OK, and from your link
The First Amendment protects against censorship imposed by law, but does not protect against corporate censorship, the restraint of speech of spokespersons, employees, or business associates by threatening monetary loss, loss of employment, or loss of access to the marketplace.

New Topics

Forum List

Back