Computer Tech help

Terry

Shut the $%$ Up!
Jan 15, 2009
I cannot believe I'm asking this question...lol but I'm stumped I think.

Here goes the problem.

My mouse and keyboard are USB wired, now the past few days my mouse just stops. You know if you plug a data stick in a usb port and you hear that sound when it is connected or disconnected? Well I get that. Ok so I thought bad mouse, unplug mouse, plug it in different USB port and same, jiggle the cord and wow, yep must be a bad mouse except. My keyboard every now and then is now doing the same thing. Randomly! My keyboard isn't being moved, the cord is fine.

The only thing I can think of is a bad mouse, and for some reason it is confusing my USB and that is disconnecting the keyboard. When this happens I painstakingly navigate to device manger VIA, TAB and arrow keys only to see no mouse, or keyboard showing up.

I restart the computer and all is fine, both on device manger. Then it happens again.

Deep Scanned PC no viruses or malware found, but I know that doesn't mean there isn't one. Anyone know of a virus or malware that does this, or is it what I think it is and since the mouse has a bad wire, it is interfering with my keyboard?

Have to ask the obvious, but have you changed the batteries?

(sorry, don't hit me)

My wife has gone through 3 wireless usb/bluetooth mice the past month... I've been using the same wireless (usb) keyboard & mouse for over a year & a half now without a hitch...

have you tried different USB ports to house the keyboard and wireless mouse?

Have to ask the obvious, but have you changed the batteries?

(sorry, don't hit me)

My wife has gone through 3 wireless usb/bluetooth mice the past month... I've been using the same wireless (usb) keyboard & mouse for over a year & a half now without a hitch...

have you tried different USB ports to house the keyboard and wireless mouse?
lol, it isn't wireless it is wired.

PC is a year old, cannot be my USB ports, tomorrow I guess I'll just buy a new keyboard and mouse. I like wireless had one, but got tired of buying batteries and don't plug the lithium ones either.

OH and I could never hit you.

PC is a year old, cannot be my USB ports, tomorrow I guess I'll just buy a new keyboard and mouse. I like wireless had one, but got tired of buying batteries and don't plug the lithium ones either.

well, shit does go bad... I can testify after watching the wife buy her 3rd mouse...lol

If you have other USB devices, see how they act in different ports... Just trying to rule out a port issue..

And you can hit me if it's lightly...;)

well, shit does go bad... I can testify after watching the wife buy her 3rd mouse...lol

If you have other USB devices, see how they act in different ports... Just trying to rule out a port issue..

I did, I am using my husbands wireless mouse and keyboard right now. If I didn't do that I couldn't be typing right now. I think it is just my mouse, causing the problem. You know if you try to plug something in the way and the plug doesn't go in all the way, then you try again and same thing. Kind of a little short when it isn't plug in all the way. Me thinks that is the case. GRUMBLE!!!!!!!!!

Unless it is some new malware or virus my program isn't picking up. Which is why I created this thread to see if anyone knew of one.

With me and computer's it is always something that is simple that I get stuck on. lol

I did, I am using my husbands wireless mouse and keyboard right now. If I didn't do that I couldn't be typing right now. I think it is just my mouse, causing the problem. You know if you try to plug something in the way and the plug doesn't go in all the way, then you try again and same thing. Kind of a little short when it isn't plug in all the way. Me thinks that is the case. GRUMBLE!!!!!!!!!

Unless it is some new malware or virus my program isn't picking up. Which is why I created this thread to see if anyone knew of one.

With me and computer's it is always something that is simple that I get stuck on. lol

I don't think it's a virus... They don't generally target peripherals...

That isn't want Doctor House would tell me. :razz:

This kind of thing happened to me just yesterday. I plugged a new keyboard into a USB port and the mouse stopped functioning. Used a different port and all was well. It may be a conflict as suggested earlier. Maybe you can manually change the port address?

This kind of thing happened to me just yesterday. I plugged a new keyboard into a USB port and the mouse stopped functioning. Used a different port and all was well. It may be a conflict as suggested earlier. Maybe you can manually change the port address?
THanks Mr. H! I just got back from the store and bought a new keyboard and mouse. The cheap Microsoft USB one. IT works fine now, however I did place each one opposite ends of USB port. This keyboard is going take some time getting use to. It needs to be broken in for sure. Keys seem tight, but very quiet. Mouse glides nice! Almost went back to wireless....ALMOST. :lol:

That isn't want Doctor House would tell me. :razz:

In that case, it's lupis...

;)

Here goes the problem.

My mouse and keyboard are USB wired, now the past few days my mouse just stops. You know if you plug a data stick in a usb port and you hear that sound when it is connected or disconnected? Well I get that. Ok so I thought bad mouse, unplug mouse, plug it in different USB port and same, jiggle the cord and wow, yep must be a bad mouse except. My keyboard every now and then is now doing the same thing. Randomly! My keyboard isn't being moved, the cord is fine.

The only thing I can think of is a bad mouse, and for some reason it is confusing my USB and that is disconnecting the keyboard. When this happens I painstakingly navigate to device manger VIA, TAB and arrow keys only to see no mouse, or keyboard showing up.

I restart the computer and all is fine, both on device manger. Then it happens again.

Deep Scanned PC no viruses or malware found, but I know that doesn't mean there isn't one. Anyone know of a virus or malware that does this, or is it what I think it is and since the mouse has a bad wire, it is interfering with my keyboard?

You're screwed. Gotta build a whole new computer now! :eusa_whistle:

Update the driver.
You do realize this thread is from 2010........ Uuummm, maybe not....... :eusa_whistle:

Here goes the problem.

For anyone having this common problem;
1)first try drive error check
2) if that doesn't fix it
Search for the mouse usb code online, it might be missing from your bootup ini or config sys file check to see if it's missing and type it in and save.
3)might be a loose usb wire connected to your motherboard.

Last edited:
Update the driver.
You do realize this thread is from 2010........ Uuummm, maybe not....... :eusa_whistle:

But people search here or in search engines for fixes to this problem. If you have the solutions share, because the more people sharing solutions the more solutions we will have access to when need be.

Update the driver.

But people search here or in search engines for fixes to this problem. If you have the solutions share, because the more people sharing solutions the more solutions we will have access to when need be.
Most people search tech sites......... It's the smart thing to do.........

Update the driver.

Maybe the original poster was sitting by their pc waiting for an answer. 7 years later, it was Mr Plum in the Conservatory with a faulty USB connector.

Forum List

Back