Commercial Microcosm in the Macrocosm

Gantlemagne

May 7, 2020
Acadia
I work in the service industry. In this line of business, I record orders and receive payment in a small business run by a few employees. We have drivers, assembly artists, and customer service reps such as Myself; and then there are a few people in the management staff.

The managers get paid more than the employees, and I and the drivers receive customer commissions, and the few, couple really, assembly artists receive little more than minimum wage per hour. I can't do My job without the assistance of the assembly artists, and neither can the drivers, yet We make about double to 4x the amount of the assembly artists. So, I've taken to giving a portion of My commission to the couple assembly artists who work tirelessly hour after hour for over 7 to 8 hours a day while We commission makers (I work about the same amount as they do in terms of physical labor) make so much more than them. The difference is 10 to 20 hours, and one of the workers is disabled. I was hoping that My example would lead to the drivers giving a small portion of their commission at the end of their shift to an assembly artist money pool, which would give the assembly artists ~a $20 to $40 bonus per day.

I took this idea to management, expressing that this would also help with employee retention and that the donations weren't mandatory, but if the commission workers wanted to donate to the assembly artist money pool that they could voluntarily do so. Wait, let Me first say, I showed the idea to the disabled worker who gave a great smile and a thumbs up. Management didn't agree with that vision, and you should have seen the look on the disabled assembly artist's face as his hopes seemed dashed by their decision. At least I'm sharing My commission, I'd much rather have experienced assembly artists than a revolving door of employees fed up with the hours of hard work in exchange of little pay.

What's your opinion? Something as simple as "Remember the Assembly Artists. You can't do your job if they don't do theirs." And then a bank they can donate to which would then be divided by the couple to few assembly artists. Something as small as $5 from each of their daily commissions would make the assembly artists' day. What do you think?

Sounds good except you don't want the assembly artists to become dependent on the bonus, and then the commission, for whatever reason, fall way.

Sounds good except you don't want the assembly artists to become dependent on the bonus, and then the commission, for whatever reason, fall way.
No, I'm aware of that. But they too can save for whatever goal they want. A slice of the commission pie is profit sharing. And in a small business with very steady income (We provide energy to customers in dense compact furnace blasted materials), and people need energy; so business is booming right now. And if the workers are happy, and We all are making hourly +bonus commission per day, the the assembly artists would feel appreciated and equate their hard and steady work with bonus money through profit sharing. And if they are getting a $3 to $6 raise an hour without overtime, I think they will very much be happy working at the small business, and less likely to quit trying to find a better paying job elsewhere.

It's... really less than short sighted, the management not seeing the potential of a commission donation pool for the assembly artists.

New Topics

Forum List

Back