Comment on the chinook downing

Patrick2

Jul 12, 2011
I've studied a lot of military history, and one thing that has always struck me is how many times there has been severe loss of life and other disasters because of stupid actions by battlefield commanders.

I heard a report that using elite forces to go after a mid-level islamofascist leader is like (my words) using a bar of gold to pound in a nail (even though people still would have gotten killed if it were regular troops.) Also, why were so many people in one aircraft? Obviously they should have been split up in several smaller helicopters.

The chinook is a big dumb slow target when landing. What were they thinking?

The Obama administration has turned the the thing into a conspiracy by characterizing the mission as covert and secret. It was first assumed to be a rescue mission but that was denied. The media seems to be paralized with lazieness so don't look for any big coverage of the incident while they are following Tiger on the PGA tour.

I've studied a lot of military history, and one thing that has always struck me is how many times there has been severe loss of life and other disasters because of stupid actions by battlefield commanders.

I heard a report that using elite forces to go after a mid-level islamofascist leader is like (my words) using a bar of gold to pound in a nail (even though people still would have gotten killed if it were regular troops.) Also, why were so many people in one aircraft? Obviously they should have been split up in several smaller helicopters.

Can you name a faster helicopter? It was likely an MH-47G with some of the best pilots in the world. Secondly it was hit by an RPG. You must think you're smart than the commanders in-theater.

We don't own the night any more. Perhaps mistakes were made, but without knowing all the facts it's not right to jump to any conclusions.

And I've lived a lot of military history (23 years Army) and it's always struck me how many times armchair commanders are quick to label actions as stupid without any actual experience or first hand knowledge of military operations.

I heard a report that using elite forces to go after a mid-level islamofascist leader is like (my words) using a bar of gold to pound in a nail (even though people still would have gotten killed if it were regular troops.)
From what I've seen, the group of SEALs were an immediate reaction force used to back up a Ranger operation. I've personally seen SEALS and other Spec Ops troops go in for mid level targets based on their superior ability to put something together quickly and quietly.

Also, why were so many people in one aircraft? Obviously they should have been split up in several smaller helicopters.
Obviously? One helicopter means one small landing zone, means quicker insertion, means better coordination. The more helicopters, the more space and or time would be necessary and the more difficult coordination would be. I was on one insertion with just 2 Chinooks and because one bird ended up facing the opposite way from the opplan we had double coverage on one half of the perimeter and none on the other (and that was an SF exercise). And you think 4-6 Blackhawks would work better?

And the more vulnerable the group would be on the ground. There have been very few helicopters shot down, so it would not be considered a large factor compared to speed of coordination on the ground to engage the fleeing Taliban.

That the risk of being shot down was minimal compared to the better C3 needed for the pursuit operation.

Things go wrong sometimes. There was nothing wrong with what was done, it was just unfortunate what happened. Perhaps there was a leak, perhaps the bad guys just got lucky....no plan can cover everything that could possibly happen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back