Combat Sports - Striking vs Grappling

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
I did some martial arts as a kid, and found some to be useful, and some to be pretty worthless. Most of my friends and I came to the conclusion that wrestlers and judo would absolutely destroy those who practiced karate and Tae Kwon Do. One the wrestler got you on the ground, it was over. I didn't see how strikers could defend against getting tackled and dragged to the ground. Fast forward to the UFC, and you can see the amazing success of strikers in mixed martial arts. Roussey would be the prime example. Stikers ended her career, and she was an elite grappler. How are the strikers preventing take downs? Having done Judo, wrestling, and Tae kwon do, I am amazed that strikers can stay on their feet. Can any of you MMA fans explain how take down defense works? The techniques must be impressive.

If anything, just go straight for a clench and sweep them. Getting close seems like it should shut striking down and give wrestlers the advantage.

If anything, just go straight for a clench and sweep them. Getting close seems like it should shut striking down and give wrestlers the advantage.
Try watching some MMA and you will see what they do. The strikers have to learn enough take down defense to not be taken down easily and enough dirty boxing to make the opponent pay for the take down attempts. Missed take downs take a great deal of energy.

Strikers got more accurate, more mobile, and developed the skills to avoid being taken to the ground.

If a grappler wants to take someone to the ground. they had better have a damned good chin.

I did some martial arts as a kid, and found some to be useful, and some to be pretty worthless. Most of my friends and I came to the conclusion that wrestlers and judo would absolutely destroy those who practiced karate and Tae Kwon Do. One the wrestler got you on the ground, it was over. I didn't see how strikers could defend against getting tackled and dragged to the ground. Fast forward to the UFC, and you can see the amazing success of strikers in mixed martial arts. Roussey would be the prime example. Stikers ended her career, and she was an elite grappler. How are the strikers preventing take downs? Having done Judo, wrestling, and Tae kwon do, I am amazed that strikers can stay on their feet. Can any of you MMA fans explain how take down defense works? The techniques must be impressive.

At the elite level all fighters are very good in most disciplines, so saying you have a grappler versus a striker is not really accurate. Those guys work on both.

Forum List

Back