Colorado baker told to bake that cake

Not even sure what your point is here. There are a whole lot of groups that are protected by public accommodation laws - religious, the disabled, etc. that don't require a genetic test. Gays happen to be one of them.

Of course, the day that they find a gay gene will be the day all the conservatives start supporting abortion.

Religious is constitutionally protected. The disabled can prove disability through physical examination. Gay is neither. But i suppose we could list them as mentally disabled and get them included under the ADA?

I like how you avoided everything I said......is your bot programming not capable of addressing what is said to you

You got the answer. You just didn’t like it.

But I don’t get overly dramatic with my answers when it is quite simple.

Religious is constitutionally protected. The disabled can prove disability through physical examination. Gay is neither. But i suppose we could list them as mentally disabled and get them included under the ADA?
Who? All those disabled, religious gays you somehow conclude don't exist?

How do you prove that you are religous ? Its not like being black which is easy to prove in most cases. Anypne can clsim to be religous, even mormons..

His defence is the ridiculous religous freedom one that he used to deny a gay couple a cake a few yesrs ago. What does the bible say about trannys ?

It seems that a common link in these bigot cases is well funded extremist laawyers. These bigots never refuse cakes for adulterers or criminals or people who eat shellfish.

They make me sick to my stomach.

^^^Look at the Nazi getting off on the government forcing someone to do something that violates their beliefs.

Out of curiosity.....if not "forced", as you call it.....are you able to bake a decent cake if you volunteered to do so?
Just askin'.

I've said all along, if you want to be gay be gay, if a man wants to pretend he's a woman have at it...but don't try and force that nonsense on me and keep it far away from our children.

Tommy believes in forced speech. There have been many occurrences throughout history where leaders also believed in forced speech.

This has never ended up well for commoners like Tommy.

Religion is constitutionally protected, but it isn't a license to disobey other laws.

The constitution only protects you from CONGRESS outlawing your religion. If I decide I don't want to do business with Mormons, why shouldn't that be my right? Because it kinds of cuts both ways. If I am an evangelical who thinks that Mormons are a satanic cult, shouldn't I have as much a right to refuse to bake them a cake than I would a gay couple? Isn't that an infringement on my religion?

Since you hit on the ADA, (which in my opinion is an awful law because it's way too vague. What the hell is a reasonable accommodation, anyway?) if that law protects the rights of the disabled, then the human rights laws in states like Colorado protect gays. End of story.

Some thoughts:
  • I don't like big government, and don't believe that the gov't should be involved in this, other than to state what is the law.
  • Our economy allows for choice, under most circumstances. The person wanting the cake has every right to deny the transaction as well. Take your business elsewhere. As should the baker have the right to deny service based on whatever reason they choose. It's their business.
  • Christians need to stop putting too much spiritual weight in a business transaction. Even though either party can deny each other the service and or the business transaction, Christians need to stop thinking that a simple business transaction equates to spiritual acceptance. It's a cake. God doesn't give two rats asses who you're making a cake for. So make the friggin cake. I actually believe that's what Christ would have done had he been a baker and not a carpenter.
  • For any Christian business owner, do you have a 100 question survey attempting to uncover any unrighteousness? Point, you can't possibly know everyone's personal details. That cake you made last week for that couple well, guess what the woman cheated on the husband. Or, the man beats and emotionally abuses his wife. Are you doing background checks on every person that walks through your door.
  • I suspect most Christian's business would shut down if they had access to everyone browser history
  • How about the Woman at the Well story. Jesus asked a woman to give him a drink. She knew the customs and that samaritans didn't interact with Jews. Yet, If Jesus can ask for a glass of water from a jewish outcast, why can't a Christian bake a simple cake?

Last edited:
Religion is constitutionally protected, but it isn't a license to disobey other laws.

The constitution only protects you from CONGRESS outlawing your religion. If I decide I don't want to do business with Mormons, why shouldn't that be my right? Because it kinds of cuts both ways. If I am an evangelical who thinks that Mormons are a satanic cult, shouldn't I have as much a right to refuse to bake them a cake than I would a gay couple? Isn't that an infringement on my religion?

Since you hit on the ADA, (which in my opinion is an awful law because it's way too vague. What the hell is a reasonable accommodation, anyway?) if that law protects the rights of the disabled, then the human rights laws in states like Colorado protect gays. End of story.

I quite agree, you should not have too. Ok?

The ADA is federal civil rights law.

And even the Colorado law can’t force a business to produce a product that they don’t offer.

Sorry, it’s how things work.

So a couple of queers drive past a dozen secular bakery shops to set up a Christian minding his own business to claim their rights were violated while having no problem violating his rights. Sounds like something queers would do.

I quite agree, you should not have too. Ok?

The ADA is federal civil rights law.
And the human rights law is a State civil rights law. Aren't you wingnuts always the ones going on and on about state's rights?

And even the Colorado law can’t force a business to produce a product that they don’t offer.

Which isn't the case here. The baker agree to make a pink cake with blue frosting, until he found out what it was for. He also makes wedding cakes, so it's not a case of him being unable to make the product.

Sorry, it’s how things work.
So if you offer cakes for other occasions, you can offer it for these occasions.

At the end of the day the protection of real people should overrule an unproven belief. What are you going to defend next? That the earth is flat or that green aliens come in your window at night. Such shouldn't be more important then people and that is why this baker is in the wrong.

And the human rights law is a State civil rights law. Aren't you wingnuts always the ones going on and on about state's rights?

Which isn't the case here. The baker agree to make a pink cake with blue frosting, until he found out what it was for. He also makes wedding cakes, so it's not a case of him being unable to make the product.

So if you offer cakes for other occasions, you can offer it for these occasions.
Doesn't he have that freedom of choice thingy the left is always preaching about?

So a couple of queers drive past a dozen secular bakery shops to set up a Christian minding his own business to claim their rights were violated while having no problem violating his rights. Sounds like something queers would do.

Actually, not the case. The couple involved in the original case picked him because he was in their neighborhood, and their families had used his services in the past.

When he refused their request, he was in violation of the state's public accommedation law.

At the end of the day the protection of real people should overrule an unproven belief. What are you going to defend next? That the earth is flat or that green aliens come in your window at night. Such shouldn't be more important then people and that is why this baker is in the wrong.
We reserve the right to refuse service.

Forum List

Back