Colonoscopy thread Pt 2. OK I had one, so here is some info.

After age 75 I don't have to get another one. The VA schedules you at age fifty and every five years thereafter. I had my 6th and last one in 2014. Piece 'o cake!

After age 75 I don't have to get another one. The VA schedules you at age fifty and every five years thereafter. I had my 6th and last one in 2014. Piece 'o cake!
Why 75? I'm afraid I know the answer. BTW, I'm planning to live to 127. Does that matter to the doctors?

Why 75? I'm afraid I know the answer. BTW, I'm planning to live to 127. Does that matter to the doctors?
I don't think it has anything to do with age. I had some polyps my first one at age fifty. Nothing on the last five. I plan on living to age 125 and will probably be hung for rape. Go out with a bang.

Colonoscopies are a sort of traumatic medical test for folks as they get older. Having a doctor shove an Anal Probe deep up the butt can cause bleeding or other injuries and the chance of injury goes up in the very elderly.

Of course, if an old timer is suffering from symptoms, a colonoscopy is a whole lot less disruptive than exploratory surgery. But for simply a "screening" test for folks in otherwise wonderful health, the adverse risks start to add up against it.

My PCP convinced me to have a colonoscopy so I went and did it. It wasn't horrible and it wasn't great either. But I'll pass along some info for those of you considering one:

The Prep: Yuk! Two days before, I had to drink a 10 oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate which had a gross citrus taste. It was Really cheap OTC, about 3 bucks. That basically induces diarrhea for a day. You also stop eating solid foods when you go to bed that night. After that it's only clear liquids, coffee, popsicles, soup broth and hard candy. Yeah that blows. :cranky:

But that was just the pre-prep! The prep was this stuff called PlenVu which comes in a box with mixing packets and a mixing bottle. My insurance covered it but it costs like $120 without insurance. The first "dose" was a nastier more syrupy version of the Magnesium Citrate and begins the day before the procedure. Dose 1 was Pretty hard to get down :47: and (for me) made for a very difficult nights sleep running to the bathroom every half hour. Dose 2 is taken just a few hours before your procedure and isn't as nasty as Dose 1. Dose 2 is for the final "flush out". There should be nothing but yellowy liquid in the toilet, anything else in there and you ain't flushed out.

The Procedure: It was a little weird to not meet the doctor until I was just about to be put under. This guy must do about 10 procedures a day, no small talk for him! Now For some reason they give continuous oxygen :confused-84: through your nose. I told them I was a runner but they said it's SOP for them. OK fine. Then they put me out with a Propofol drip. Man I gotta get me some of that! The nurse said "OK I'm going to start the drip, you will have a funny taste in your mouth, do you taste it? I said "Yeah" then she said something like "it's a "twightlight dose you might hear some.......". :bigbed:The next thing I heard was "OK you're done!" I guess it took about a half hour and I was "clean" except for the beginning of diverticulitis which means I need to hit the high fiber. No biggee.

Now the other aspect I didn't think of was this: As nasty as the prep is, maybe it's beneficial to do the big flush out. I'm not a doctor but intuitively it seems to be a good thing to do.

I'm Not sure if I will do another one. Maybe I'll just buy a couple bottles of Magnesium Citrate every few years and keep doing my Cologuard tests. I REALLY don't like doctors and hospitals, but again that's just me. All in all, it wasn't bad you just have to invest a couple days prepping and getting doped and probed. And hey you get pictures of your colon in the report, where else would you get that?
Yeah, stay away from doctors. Because they’re always finding diseases and stuff. What you don’t know won’t hurt you. And that goes to all those other Republicans to. Stay away from those doctors. Doctors are over educated and don’t really know anything. Trust me, you’re way better off not going to those doctors.

My PCP convinced me to have a colonoscopy so I went and did it. It wasn't horrible and it wasn't great either. But I'll pass along some info for those of you considering one:

The Prep: Yuk! Two days before, I had to drink a 10 oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate which had a gross citrus taste. It was Really cheap OTC, about 3 bucks. That basically induces diarrhea for a day. You also stop eating solid foods when you go to bed that night. After that it's only clear liquids, coffee, popsicles, soup broth and hard candy. Yeah that blows. :cranky:

But that was just the pre-prep! The prep was this stuff called PlenVu which comes in a box with mixing packets and a mixing bottle. My insurance covered it but it costs like $120 without insurance. The first "dose" was a nastier more syrupy version of the Magnesium Citrate and begins the day before the procedure. Dose 1 was Pretty hard to get down :47: and (for me) made for a very difficult nights sleep running to the bathroom every half hour. Dose 2 is taken just a few hours before your procedure and isn't as nasty as Dose 1. Dose 2 is for the final "flush out". There should be nothing but yellowy liquid in the toilet, anything else in there and you ain't flushed out.

The Procedure: It was a little weird to not meet the doctor until I was just about to be put under. This guy must do about 10 procedures a day, no small talk for him! Now For some reason they give continuous oxygen :confused-84: through your nose. I told them I was a runner but they said it's SOP for them. OK fine. Then they put me out with a Propofol drip. Man I gotta get me some of that! The nurse said "OK I'm going to start the drip, you will have a funny taste in your mouth, do you taste it? I said "Yeah" then she said something like "it's a "twightlight dose you might hear some.......". :bigbed:The next thing I heard was "OK you're done!" I guess it took about a half hour and I was "clean" except for the beginning of diverticulitis which means I need to hit the high fiber. No biggee.

Now the other aspect I didn't think of was this: As nasty as the prep is, maybe it's beneficial to do the big flush out. I'm not a doctor but intuitively it seems to be a good thing to do.

I'm Not sure if I will do another one. Maybe I'll just buy a couple bottles of Magnesium Citrate every few years and keep doing my Cologuard tests. I REALLY don't like doctors and hospitals, but again that's just me. All in all, it wasn't bad you just have to invest a couple days prepping and getting doped and probed. And hey you get pictures of your colon in the report, where else would you get that?
Yeah, stay away from doctors. Because they’re always finding diseases and stuff. What you don’t know won’t hurt you. And that goes to all those other Republicans to. Stay away from those doctors. Doctors are over educated and don’t really know anything. Trust me, you’re way better off not going to those doctors.

I agree in part, if we get socialized medicine, most people will be assigned subpar sawbones, who they'd be better off not seeing or listening. The top doctors will be taking care of the liberal overlord- the peons will get Witch Doctors from Africa or Haiti. That's the way it worked with Hitlercare in Germany. The common people had to see Dr. Joe Mengel. The elite like HItler himself had private doctors.

Rod told his dr. no way. She told him no problem and did a blood stool test which she said is just as effective in finding out if there are any issues that may need to be addressed.

I read somewhere that by then, it's too late.

The tube up the backside is the most accurate.
Could be but it is also dangerous for many. There were two here that they punctured their intestines when they did that. They never fully recovered. People should know their own bodies well enough to make that call for themselves.

Rod told his dr. no way. She told him no problem and did a blood stool test which she said is just as effective in finding out if there are any issues that may need to be addressed.

I read somewhere that by then, it's too late.

The tube up the backside is the most accurate.
Could be but it is also dangerous for many. There were two here that they punctured their intestines when they did that. They never fully recovered. People should know their own bodies well enough to make that call for themselves.

I don't know what to think. I've had two in my life time. But that preparation.

Drinking that stuff all day long, prior to "it".

During my first colonoscopy, I remember waking up during the procedure and watching the t.v. monitor as they were doing it.

The plot line of the show was not all that engaging.

During my first colonoscopy, I remember waking up during the procedure and watching the t.v. monitor as they were doing it.

I remember mine, I got it in a teaching hospital. They wheel me in, the doc asked him if it was ok for the students to come in and observe, I said "fine, join the party". I started doing commentary on my colon, but then I think they gave me a little more dope so I was out of it until the end of the procedure

I remember mine, I got it in a teaching hospital. They wheel me in, the doc asked him if it was ok for the students to come in and observe, I said "fine, join the party". I started doing commentary on my colon, but then I think they gave me a little more dope so I was out of it until the end of the procedure
When you mentioned students, I expected you to say that when you woke up, you had a Sharpie moustache and eyeglasses scribbled on your face and a bottle of Old Smuggler in your hands .

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I had some polyps my first one at age fifty. Nothing on the last five. I plan on living to age 125 and will probably be hung for rape. Go out with a bang.
I figured the doctor gods just dont think you're worth saving after 75.

I still think that's the answer.

Obama would say, "just give them a pill."

My grandfather felt like that, and with good cause.

He came to America as a kid in 1908, and never went to a doctor, ever.

Not until he was in his old age 60 years after, did he break down and listen to those who told him to see a doctor.

They killed him within a fortnight.

During my first one I woke up in the middle of the procedure yelling Oh! Oh! Oh! and the doctor told them to give me another shot. In his hand he held a clear plastic funnel and it looked as big as a traffic cone.

During my first one I woke up in the middle of the procedure yelling Oh! Oh! Oh! and the doctor told them to give me another shot. In his hand he held a clear plastic funnel and it looked as big as a traffic cone.

When I had conscious sedation for my dental implant surgery, I remember the whole thing pretty well, even though they gave me the same shit they gave me for the colonoscopy.

Forum List

Back