College Professor Offers Students Extra Credit for Attending Occupy Protest

Thereby ensuring another generation of students ill prepared to enter adulthood.

Do you understand being a eye witness to history?

if it were a tea party rally you would be cheering him or her.

according to an unspecified "email received by the blaze"... well, that must make it true.

and even if it is...

is it mandatory?

nope...

from your "link:

Students who do not wish to attend the protest have the option of writing a 20-page term paper about a social movement to receive the same extra credit. Neither assignment is compulsory.

so don't worry... tea people get extra credit, too.

• Banned
or attending a homosexual marrige

Offering alternative means of getting credit for those who can't or don't want to go is an afterthought.

The teacher has made her biases clear.

The students now know what they need to do in order to assure their grades in this teacher's class. And those with opposite ideological inclinations to hers now know they need to keep a low profile to avoid being judged negatively by her.

from your "link:

Students who do not wish to attend the protest have the option of writing a 20-page term paper about a social movement to receive the same extra credit. Neither assignment is compulsory.

so don't worry... tea people get extra credit, too.
Ya, they just have to do the actual school work.

Sign your political activist teacher's attendance sheet twice.

Or write a 20 page paper.

Wow. That's a fair alternative assignment.

/end sarcasm.

Offering alternative means of getting credit for those who can't or don't want to go is an afterthought.

The teacher has made her biases clear.

The students now know what they need to do in order to assure their grades in this teacher's class. And those with opposite ideological inclinations to hers now know they need to keep a low profile to avoid being judged negatively by her.
Not so sure about that. Not that it doesn't happen, it does.

But, if I were in that class and given the choice to go to an OWS protest with the requirement that I make a sign as well as long as the sign is not obscene or write a 20 page paper, I would go to the protest. That's a no-brainer. I'd make some benign random sign, like "Go Redwings", stick around for an hour, then head home.

It's a roundabout bribe for attendance at an OWS protest. No surprise, they paid protestors in DC, too.

But, I cannot criticize her on fairness - what she offered is fair.

I can criticize her on offering extra credit at the college level. I disagree with that, very strongly disagree. This isn't grade school, for craps' sake. But, that's another topic.

If they can't bet a B in sociology without the extra credit they probably shouldn't be in college anyway.

psik

Forum List

Back