Cold Bluing steel parts

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
Generally I plate steel parts with nickel &/or in a black oxide dip with my Caswell plating in miniature kits. I do a lot of one off hipo carburetor systems for both street & 1/4 mile applications. This should work great on small steel parts like throttle linkage, throttle shafts, air valves etc. REALLY like what I am seeing in this vid & I have decided to order in a kit. This would be a lot quicker than the Caswell system & sounds to give a protective coating that will retard steel parts from rusting. I'd think it best either to polish steel parts on the bench grinder or tumble them in a crushed walnut shell medium, then I'd say 160 F. in the oven for 45 minutes(?) then an alcohol or acetone wipe down. One way or the other I am about to find out!

Thanks for the informative video! I've done some minor bluing to gun parts. Does the method in the video still leave the metal with that characterize cold-blued smell? Most firearms that have been re-blued have a smell to them.

Thanks for the informative video! I've done some minor bluing to gun parts. Does the method in the video still leave the metal with that characterize cold-blued smell? Most firearms that have been re-blued have a smell to them.
@ JG; The vid is from a YouTube contributor that I do not know. I'd suggest subscribing to his channel for more info. I might contribute a vid of the parts I would like to cold blue which would offer some hands on experience for me that I could then share with our YouTube community. This would give me validity for any suggestions I could contribute to both the product & process of prep/application. Take care JG till next time!

Generally I plate steel parts with nickel &/or in a black oxide dip with my Caswell plating in miniature kits. I do a lot of one off hipo carburetor systems for both street & 1/4 mile applications. This should work great on small steel parts like throttle linkage, throttle shafts, air valves etc. REALLY like what I am seeing in this vid & I have decided to order in a kit. This would be a lot quicker than the Caswell system & sounds to give a protective coating that will retard steel parts from rusting. I'd think it best either to polish steel parts on the bench grinder or tumble them in a crushed walnut shell medium, then I'd say 160 F. in the oven for 45 minutes(?) then an alcohol or acetone wipe down. One way or the other I am about to find out!

I've used their kits for gold plating and they worked well. And they're a snap to use.

I've used their kits for gold plating and they worked well. And they're a snap to use.

Caswell does offer an excellent service/products!

Forum List

Back