Cognitive Dissonance

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.
It's kind of sad that you desire these conversations to devolve into this.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

How long is this whatever it is going to go on for?
It has always been determine by you, my dear.

Don’t you take responsibility for anything in your life?
Every day. What is it that you believe I am not taking responsibility for?

You’ve got some stamina. I’ll say that for you.
One needs to to deal with you.

You’re not dealing very well.
You already acknowledged my stamina, silly goose.

And I was selective about that observation.
I don't see where you were.

Of course you wouldn’t.

Because you are deliberately awkward.

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

Sometimes I'm awkward but I don't think deliberately so.

But I didn't see what you were being selective about because you didn't qualify what you were being selective about.

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

But I didn't see what you were being selective about because you didn't qualify what you were being selective about.

And you said l was exhausting?

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

You are indeed.

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

You are indeed.

No. You are.

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

You are indeed.

No. You are.
Sometimes :)

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

You are indeed.

No. You are.

Stop that. It drives me mad.

Your obtuseness.

That would be you.

Personified.

In to what?
Your obtuseness.

Of course you wouldn’t.

You are indeed.

No. You are.

Stop that. It drives me mad.
Good :)

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful human trait.

We all do it.

It's a way to reinforce our belief system when confronted with information that contradicts our worldview.

I realize that but why do we not want to live in accordance with our beliefs so we don't subject ourselves to it?
that is what toto and half the rest of Americans experience when it comes to Trummpt,the virus and 9/11 being an inside job.

I have to say this topic has always fascinated me.

Over my life I have been as affected by it as anyone else. When I was in my early 30's I met a couple of exceptional people, a Buddhist monk and a man who was a welder but held a PhD in Philosophy. Both these men were such positive influences that to this day I am grateful to both of them for their friendship and wisdom. I don't want to think about where i would be today if I hadn't met them. Both of them have helped to live an examined life. But I digress.

Let's start with a working definition then some examples.

Cognitive Dissonance
Cognitive dissonance occurs when a person's beliefs conflicts with other previously held beliefs. It describes the feelings of discomfort resulting from having the two conflicting beliefs. In order to reduce or possibly eliminate the dissonance, something must change because of the discrepancy between the person's beliefs and behaviors.

It's a simple definition for such a prevalent condition.

Examples:

One that is very relevant today is the CD that involves politicians.

People will find a way to excuse the bad deeds the person they support and to magnify the bad deeds of the person they don't support. This also manifests in being unable to credit a politician you do not support for doing something you might actually agree with and ignoring the deeds of the politician you support when they do something you disagree with.

One that I experience a lot these days is People saying they love animals but who eat animals.

Example:

A man is mowing his lawn and purposely runs over a flock of baby ducks and macerates them with the mower blades. A man with his child witness the event and call the cops. The man on the mower gets charged with animal cruelty. The witness then takes his child out to breakfast and orders scrambled eggs for himself and his child. Now the egg industry doesn't want male chicks so right after male chicks are hatched they are fed into a macerating machine where they are ground up alive. But the man calmly eats his eggs without feeling the need to call the police.

and one more

The sour grapes phenomenon. This is actually addressed in one of Aesop's fables about a fox who cannot reach grapes that he wants. He experiences cognitive dissonance and to ease his frustration; he decides the grapes must be sour and therefore undesirable.

I think we all see people do this every day.

Are we as humans cursed to live with these thoughts and behaviors that clash? Does it bother people as much as it should? Do we just accept that humans are duplicitous?

If we don't want to live a life in contradiction to our beliefs what should we do?
I think one of the most hilarious recent examples of mass cognitive dissonance came from those believe the Washington "Jimmy's World" Post, which claimed that Trump was lying every time he said we were building a new southern border wall while at the same time claiming that people were cutting through the wall with reciprocating saws.

Cognitive dissonance is a common symptom of TDS.

I have to say this topic has always fascinated me.

Over my life I have been as affected by it as anyone else. When I was in my early 30's I met a couple of exceptional people, a Buddhist monk and a man who was a welder but held a PhD in Philosophy. Both these men were such positive influences that to this day I am grateful to both of them for their friendship and wisdom. I don't want to think about where i would be today if I hadn't met them. Both of them have helped to live an examined life. But I digress.

Let's start with a working definition then some examples.

Cognitive Dissonance
Cognitive dissonance occurs when a person's beliefs conflicts with other previously held beliefs. It describes the feelings of discomfort resulting from having the two conflicting beliefs. In order to reduce or possibly eliminate the dissonance, something must change because of the discrepancy between the person's beliefs and behaviors.

It's a simple definition for such a prevalent condition.

Examples:

One that is very relevant today is the CD that involves politicians.

People will find a way to excuse the bad deeds the person they support and to magnify the bad deeds of the person they don't support. This also manifests in being unable to credit a politician you do not support for doing something you might actually agree with and ignoring the deeds of the politician you support when they do something you disagree with.

One that I experience a lot these days is People saying they love animals but who eat animals.

Example:

A man is mowing his lawn and purposely runs over a flock of baby ducks and macerates them with the mower blades. A man with his child witness the event and call the cops. The man on the mower gets charged with animal cruelty. The witness then takes his child out to breakfast and orders scrambled eggs for himself and his child. Now the egg industry doesn't want male chicks so right after male chicks are hatched they are fed into a macerating machine where they are ground up alive. But the man calmly eats his eggs without feeling the need to call the police.

and one more

The sour grapes phenomenon. This is actually addressed in one of Aesop's fables about a fox who cannot reach grapes that he wants. He experiences cognitive dissonance and to ease his frustration; he decides the grapes must be sour and therefore undesirable.

I think we all see people do this every day.

Are we as humans cursed to live with these thoughts and behaviors that clash? Does it bother people as much as it should? Do we just accept that humans are duplicitous?

If we don't want to live a life in contradiction to our beliefs what should we do?
NPR was explaining cognitive dissonanice.

A. Think of a pyramid. Youre taking a test to get into medical school You don’t know any of the answers. Nex to you the smartest girl in the class is making it very easy for you to cheat off her. You can cheat or not. Slide down ti the bottom of the pyramid to the left or right. To the right you don’t cheat and you never become a doctor. You tell yourself you did the right thing. Make you feel good about failing your dream to become a doctor.

Or slide left, cheat, tell yourself it’s harmless, you didn’t hurt anyone. Think of all the good you will do as a doctor. Tell yourself everyone does it.

B. The political example they used was bush taking us to war over wmd’s. Then later convince himself the world is a better place without saddam. But what about all the people who died? He had to have cognitive dissonance to continue that war.

Cognitive Dissonance like.....
the Joe and Hunter Biden scandal is fake?
Trump colluded with the Russians?
Trump colluded with the Ukrainians?
late ballots are legitimate?
man made global warming?
When you convince yourself that trumps call to Ukraine or to Georgia Secretary of State were perfect, that’s cognitive dissonance. Imagine Biden making those calls.

Didn't I say I enjoy it already? You got me. I do enjoy it. It's because I am selfish and weak that I keep doing it even though I admit it is wrong

You probably can't understand this because you can't conceive ever doing anything you believe is wrong. That's just because you will rationalize it away like you are trying to argue I am rationalizing it away despite my repeated statements that I know eating meat is wrong but I do it because I like it and because I am too selfish and weak to not do it.

Wow. I have to say....even though as a vegan I disagree with your actions, I have to give you props for your honesty. That is very rare. In the discussions i've been in on this topic most people either try to justify it, or they will try to deflect by turning the tables, or they'll just not say anything... but very few will be honest enough to say what you did.

Off the top of my head the only other person I can think of who admits being a hypocrite on this issue is Ben Shapiro.

Last edited:
Why isn't there?
Free range. It's like asking if it's wrong that Bears eat deer. It's natural.

Now eating cows is cruel. Google slaughter houses if you want to ruin your day.

Yes it's sad when I see a deer taking it's last breaths but you not seeing the cow taking it's last breath doesn't make you better that me. It makes you a coward. And the deer I shot was only going to live a couple more years anyways. And it's natural death would most likely be worse. Coyote's eating it from the ass first? Horrible death. My death I give it is quick. Usually. Sometimes you miss.

B. If the shit hit the fan, I'll know how to hunt/survive. Will you? It's why we catch and release fish. So we know we can if we ever have to.

When's the last time you hit a cow with your car? We shoot deer to thin out the population.

Hunters are the best stuarts of the environment. We pay the state for a license, a meat processor, we spin the economy when we buy guns, crossbows, ammo, camo, etc.

Free range. It's like asking if it's wrong that Bears eat deer. It's natural.

Now eating cows is cruel. Google slaughter houses if you want to ruin your day.

Yes it's sad when I see a deer taking it's last breaths but you not seeing the cow taking it's last breath doesn't make you better that me. It makes you a coward. And the deer I shot was only going to live a couple more years anyways. And it's natural death would most likely be worse. Coyote's eating it from the ass first? Horrible death. My death I give it is quick. Usually. Sometimes you miss.

B. If the shit hit the fan, I'll know how to hunt/survive. Will you? It's why we catch and release fish. So we know we can if we ever have to.

When's the last time you hit a cow with your car? We shoot deer to thin out the population.

Hunters are the best stuarts of the environment. We pay the state for a license, a meat processor, we spin the economy when we buy guns, crossbows, ammo, camo, etc.
So you make a distinction based upon if it exists in nature with no consideration for being a living animal? Interesting.

Sounds like a rationalization to me. Especially since you make it a moral act by arguing that it's going to die anyway. Heck, you're going to die anyway too, right?

So you make a distinction based upon if it exists in nature with no consideration for being a living animal? Interesting.

Sounds like a rationalization to me. Especially since you make it a moral act by arguing that it's going to die anyway. Heck, you're going to die anyway too, right?
I'm a top the food chain. So are you pussy. Enjoy it.

Forum List

Back