Coffey County Health Department nurses decline to give the COVID vaccine

munkle

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2012
"First, do no harm."

Dear Lord thank you for these angels.

“It’s a new technology. We’ve never seen it before. It was only studied in 45 people before it was approved, and the companies that have made the vaccine they don’t have to ... all liability is gone from them. So, if there’s anything bad about the vaccine it doesn’t go back to them. That’s widely known, and it’s somewhat discomforting to a nurse who has to put that in people’s bodies. So, we will find nurses that are willing to do that. I am not. My staff is not at this time.”

If giving shots is part of their job and people want the shot, they should give it or go get another job, but without government benefits. Nurses are not paid to prescribe or deny approved care.

If giving shots is part of their job and people want the shot, they should give it or go get another job, but without government benefits. Nurses are not paid to prescribe or deny approved care.
I'd imagine these 4 nurses are good employees, otherwise, perfect time to can them. The quoted statement was coherent, free of paranoia, and stuck to facts not emotional rant. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.

Good nurses usually know their worth, those with exceptional records even more so. I don't claim to know, just guessing this is the case due to this media source.

I'd imagine these 4 nurses are good employees, otherwise, perfect time to can them. The quoted statement was coherent, free of paranoia, and stuck to facts not emotional rant. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.

Good nurses usually know their worth, those with exceptional records even more so. I don't claim to know, just guessing this is the case due to this media source.
The other statement was coherent and free of paranoia in the article: However, it’s clear that the county’s medical officer, Dr. Jeff Sloyer, does not share the health department staff’s concerns. At this past Monday’s county commission meeting (Jan. 11), he told commissioners: “Both of these vaccines were very well studied,” Solyer assured commissioners. “The Pfizer one had over 40,000 people in their trial, and the Moderna one had 30,000 people in their trial, so, I think that’s good.” Sloyer told commissioners that the January 6th meeting.
He is a Medical Doctor Doctors prescribe and sign orders. Nurses carry out those orders. Simple as that, or should have the courage of their convictions to resign when no longer willing to carry out those orders.

The other statement was coherent and free of paranoia in the article: However, it’s clear that the county’s medical officer, Dr. Jeff Sloyer, does not share the health department staff’s concerns. At this past Monday’s county commission meeting (Jan. 11), he told commissioners: “Both of these vaccines were very well studied,” Solyer assured commissioners. “The Pfizer one had over 40,000 people in their trial, and the Moderna one had 30,000 people in their trial, so, I think that’s good.” Sloyer told commissioners that the January 6th meeting.
He is a Medical Doctor Doctors prescribe and sign orders. Nurses carry out those orders. Simple as that, or should have the courage of their convictions to resign when no longer willing to carry out those orders.
What are the long-term side effects?

Last edited:

I am not a doctor. Historically, I personally do not usually have many side effects to vaccines, and I have a shot record that would curl your hair, as you sent me overseas multiple times over my 20 years career, with stuff you won't ever get stuck with if not being sent or in uniform. Although for some of the trips, it might be recommended. I trust doctors and it has worked out well for me. Talk to yours. Nobody forcing you to take it, but if you want it and a doctor orders it, an nurse is not qualified to overrule or refuse a doctor's medical order unless she is willing to resign her position and seek opportunities as a nurse elsewhere.

I can understand where they are coming from but it is a job. Personally I will wait for it. I know people who work in nursing homes who have refused to take it. So people are making their own decisions. IF people want to take the shot then they should be warned of the risk and given the shot if they still want it. It really is not up to them (nurses) to make that decision. They are not doctors nor experts in the field. They have opinions but sometimes opinion is not what is needed. Still even if it was rushed does not mean that it has problems. There are some problems but once they are identified then people will be warned what the side effects could be and it is still their decision. Surgery is a decision that people make. There is always a risk involved with it.

He is a Medical Doctor Doctors prescribe and sign orders. Nurses carry out th, b ose orders. Simple as that, or should have the courage of their convictions to resign when no longer willing to carry out those orders.
Those who believe this is the way to go are certainly being proactive in efforts. I support freedoms primarily over all else, including freedom of choice. If we were discussing polio vaccine I'd be an idiot to be against it.

I follow medical research (journal entries as well as a few mags like Science Daily) as a rule and am almost a health nut I guess. Today I know what I know, and tomorrow perhaps I'll discover more evidence that supports your position. It is too early for us to know the outcome of this vaccine. I don't know enough about "M" vaccines and this is a new type. It will require watching to see what happens with outcomes.

You are well-read so we'll just agree to disagree here about this vaccine. I hope the outcome will prove to be worth it. Flattening the curve was needed for medical facilities to prepare for the numbers, but flattening the curve will now only prolong continued activity, at least from what I've read and accepted as logical.

I am not a doctor. Historically, I personally do not usually have many side effects to vaccines, and I have a shot record that would curl your hair, as you sent me overseas multiple times over my 20 years career, with stuff you won't ever get stuck with if not being sent or in uniform. Although for some of the trips, it might be recommended. I trust doctors and it has worked out well for me. Talk to yours. Nobody forcing you to take it, but if you want it and a doctor orders it, an nurse is not qualified to overrule or refuse a doctor's medical order unless she is willing to resign her position and seek opportunities as a nurse elsewhere.
But . . . what are the long term side effects?

Do your own research and make your own decisions. I will get the vaccine, as I have seen people drop dead from it. I plan to hang around and have judged the risk to me lower with the vaccine, than without. I have had Covid-19 once. Was lucky. Not going back for more. Might not be as lucky next time. I'm 66, turning 67 this year. Lots of people my age are not lucky. I'm having a good time and usually have mild reaction to vaccines. I'm planning to hang around and keep having a good time.

Do your own research and make your own decisions. I will get the vaccine, as I have seen people drop dead from it. I plan to hang around and have judged the risk to me lower with the vaccine, than without. I have had Covid-19 once. Was lucky. Not going back for more. Might not be as lucky next time. I'm 66, turning 67 this year. Lots of people my age are not lucky. I'm having a good time and usually have mild reaction to vaccines. I'm planning to hang around and keep having a good time.
A simple "No one knows" would have sufficed.

So what's your plan?

So what's your plan?
What in hell are you talking about? I asked you what the long term side effects are, and you ask me what my plan is?

So what's your plan?
What in hell are you talking about? I asked you what the long term side effects are, and you ask me what my plan is?
Told you to do your own research. With a vaccine only created last year and only out for a month, pretty hard to do a 5 or 10 years study. It is a crapshoot, but for me it is a safe sounding bet than another round of covid. So, like I said, what is your plan?

So what's your plan?
Told you to do your own research. With a vaccine only created last year and only out for a month, pretty hard to do a 5 or 10 years study. It is a crapshoot, but for me it is a safe sounding bet than another round of covid. So, like I said, what is your plan?
Ain't that the truth. It's pretty hard, if not impossible, to know what the long term side effects are when there hasn't been time to even study midterm side effects. On a related note, is there any recourse for those who are harmed by this new technology? How does that work?

Me? I'm going to do what I always do.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back