Coburn to Congress: ‘The Problem Is Us’

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
stuff like this should make us sick...the people need to wake up and hold this government Accountable...

SNIP

January 16, 2014 - 12:29 am

WASHINGTON – A push to eliminate waste across government programs has been hindered by Congress’s own failure to do its job, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) told a congressional committee last week.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee heard testimony from Sens. Coburn and Tom Carper (D-Del.) and representatives from various think tanks about ways to reduce government waste.

As part of the 1993 Government Performance and Results Act, Congress must conduct oversight hearings and hold agencies accountable for meeting program goals. Under the law, agencies are to determine performance metrics for programs together with Congress and ensure those goals are being met.

In 2010, Congress passed the Government Performance and Results Modernization Act that directed the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to produce an annual report on duplication across government. Since then, the GAO has released three annual reviews outlining ways the government can save money by consolidating programs.

“I thought it would embarrass us into acting,” Coburn, said at the hearing, referring to the legislation he sponsored requiring the GAO to produce the report. “Boy, was I wrong. We haven’t done anything.”

Thomas Schatz, president of Citizens Against Government Waste, spoke to the committee about the numerous cases of overlap in federal programs.

Schatz said there are 56 programs from 20 different agencies devoted to promoting financial literacy “intended to improve the fiscal acumen of the American people.” Fifteen of those programs cost $30.7 million in fiscal year 2010.

all of it here
PJ Media » Coburn to Congress: ?The Problem Is Us?

I gained a lot of respect for Coburn, because he's trying to end the NFL's "non-profit" "tax exempt" status. He nailed it when he said that when the fat cats don't pay their share, the rest of us pay more. Commissioner Roger Goodell Makes $29 million a year. How is that non-profit? Super Bowl commercials are $4 million for 30 seconds. What charity gets that money?

Forum List

Back