CNS - One Third of Primary Care Physicians May Quit.

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
More than 29 percent (29.2) percent of the nearly 1,200 doctors who responded to the survey said they would quit the profession or retire early if health reform legislation becomes law. If a public option were included in the legislation, as several liberal Senators have indicated they would like, the number would jump to 45.7 percent

:eek:

(CNSNews.com) - Nearly one-third of all practicing physicians may leave the medical profession if President Obama signs current versions of health-care reform legislation into law, according to a survey published in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

CNSNews.com - Nearly One-Third of Doctors Could Leave Medicine if Health-Care Reform Bill Passes, According to Survey Reported in New England Journal of Medicine

Here's the actual NEJM link. Wouldn't want people to accuse you of linking to a biased source.

Physician Survey: Health Reform?s Potential Impact on Physician Supply and Quality of Medical Care

On one hand, I can see why this would seem somewhat startling. But on the other hand, I don't really trust the numbers. It's not unreasonable to assume that a lot of these doctors that are against reform would say this even though they'd never follow through.

How many people who said they'd leave the country if Obama was elected actually have?

(CNSNews.com) - Nearly one-third of all practicing physicians may leave the medical profession if President Obama signs current versions of health-care reform legislation into law, according to a survey published in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

CNSNews.com - Nearly One-Third of Doctors Could Leave Medicine if Health-Care Reform Bill Passes, According to Survey Reported in New England Journal of Medicine

Here's the actual NEJM link. Wouldn't want people to accuse you of linking to a biased source.

Physician Survey: Health Reform?s Potential Impact on Physician Supply and Quality of Medical Care

On one hand, I can see why this would seem somewhat startling. But on the other hand, I don't really trust the numbers. It's not unreasonable to assume that a lot of these doctors that are against reform would say this even though they'd never follow through.

How many people who said they'd leave the country if Obama was elected actually have?

I agree. Just posting an FYI

That's just what Obama want. Less doctors mean Ezekiel Emanuel gets to kill off our elders under his "Complete Lives System"

have you ever worked for physicians? they absolutely hate paperwork and bureacracy, nothing will be done to stem harassing lawsuits, and they will have 30-50 million (depends on who is talking) more patients dumped into the system that's exactly what many will say, fuck it. time to get out.

have you ever worked for physicians? they absolutely hate paperwork and bureacracy, nothing will be done to stem harassing lawsuits, and they will have 30-50 million (depends on who is talking) more patients dumped into the system that's exactly what many will say, fuck it. time to get out.

yeah, I'm sure they'd all rather go work at walmart.

which makes it clear you don't know physicians, most don't "just" practice medicine, most of the ones I know have a business on the side. many are in small limited private practice and in specialities such as dermatology. and refuse medicare patients. Know why? They hate friggin paperwork and bureacracy.. go figure,,

Libs would love this. Those damn Doctors make too much money anyway. Plus, Libs love chaos so this would be perfect.

If this bill passes, I think you will also see a massive amount of Dr's that will only take private insurance and cash.

I call bullcrap...

first it is not cnn

second -even the New england journal of medicine did not perform the poll, some recruiting firm did it and there is absolutely no specifics of how the poll was taken or what actual questions were asked nor the amount of people polled.....

the insurance companies HAVE ALWAYS required paperwork, so let's hear from these doctors in this supposed poll, WHY they feel this way....IF THEY ACTUALLY DO....

I honestly expect less than 1/8th of those polled would actually follow through and those would be primarily early retirees. Some of the others might switch away from primary patient care to research but that's not really the issue. It's the ratio of physicians to the potential number of new patients that is at issue. Even a drop of 1/8th in the medical care provider ranks would have a deleterious effect on the quality of care under the proposed plan.

I call bullcrap...

first it is not cnn

second -even the New england journal of medicine did not perform the poll, some recruiting firm did it and there is absolutely no specifics of how the poll was taken or what actual questions were asked nor the amount of people polled.....

the insurance companies HAVE ALWAYS required paperwork, so let's hear from these doctors in this supposed poll, WHY they feel this way....IF THEY ACTUALLY DO....

typical,, response from an ostrich liberal..

I honestly expect less than 1/8th of those polled would actually follow through and those would be primarily early retirees. Some of the others might switch away from primary patient care to research but that's not really the issue. It's the ratio of physicians to the potential number of new patients that is at issue. Even a drop of 1/8th in the medical care provider ranks would have a deleterious effect on the quality of care under the proposed plan.

yep, there is a doctor shortage now, just dump 30-50 million more and rationed care here we come.

Let federal agents take care of the sick....they already handle pain management.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714177

The comments were made in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada). December 21, 2009

The AMA, the nation's largest physician group, has been lobbying for an overhaul of the health system and worked closely with the Obama administration and Democratic congressional leaders. It endorsed the House of Representatives reform bill earlier this year but until now had withheld support of the Senate legislation. Last week, it opposed expanding Medicare coverage to those aged 55 to 64 years.

"All Americans deserve affordable, high-quality health coverage so they can get the medical care they need — and this bill advances many of our priority issues for achieving the vision of a health system that works for patients and physicians," said AMA President-Elect Cecil B. Wilson, MD, in a statement.

The Senate bill will improve choice and access to affordable health insurance coverage, the AMA said. "The bill will increase coverage for preventive and wellness care that can lead to better disease prevention and management, and further the development of comparative effectiveness research that can help patients and physicians make informed treatment decisions.

"Lifetime limits on health coverage will be a thing of the past — as will higher premiums based on medical conditions or gender," said Dr. Wilson. "These are important benefits for those who have insurance now — and those who want it but have been unable to get it."

Wilson also said the bill increases payments to primary care physicians and general surgeons in underserved areas while no longer cutting payments to other physicians."It eliminates the tax on physician services for cosmetic surgery and drops the proposed physician enrollment fee for Medicare."

Doctors without borders, where they can practice medicine to truly needy patients.

this isn't from cnn.

Forum List

Back