CNN Wants Higher Gas Tax

red states rule

May 30, 2006
So much for caring about the working middle class

Libs at CNN want you pay more for gas via higher taxes

You are to stupid to conserve gas, and find something other the gasoline, to fuel your cars on your own - so the government has to force you to do so

CNN Regular Wants Premium on Gas: Another Tax
Posted by Julia A. Seymour on April 30, 2007 - 14:40.
"Put in a tax to make it $4 a gallon right now," urged CNN contributor Allen Wastler on the April 28 "In the Money."

Wastler's motivation for higher taxes was to encourage alternatives to gasoline.

"Because when you saw us flirting with $3, all the sudden we got a burst in hybrid production, we got a burst in ethanol production," Wastler explained to the "In the Money" crowd.

But the CNNMoney managing editor did not explain the burst in government mandates and regulations that helped fuel those alternatives.

The "In the Money" team including Ali Velshi and Christine Romans not only urged higher gas prices (with taxation), but hyped the threat of $4-a-gallon gasoline, though the national average is still below $3-a-gallon.

"There are forces that could make $3 gas something that we're not worrying about becaue we're worrying about $4 gas. Three-dollar gas could end up looking like a bargain for you," said Velshi.

Wastler did slightly undermine Velshi's prediction by indicating "some experts -- some, not all -- saying you'll see $4 a gallon gas this summer. Particularly if you live on the West Coast, California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada."

http://newsbusters.org/node/12420

Hold on a minute, that isn't correct. If we as a nation could do things and consider moderation, and I'm equally as guilty then we'd scale back trips and travel. Stay home more on the weekends and size down our vehicles for more conservative mileage types. Use more public transportation when able too and demand our nation to except these ideas instead of spouting off for the whole world to hear things like this: These prices aren't going to make me change my habits! Then why should the oil companies care? I'm actually for petrol prices to be around $7~8.00 a gallon, why? Because when I lived in Australia I paid .75 cents a liter and at 4 liters to a gallon that is roughly $3.00 a gallon and that was 13 years ago, and while I lived in Japan it cost me 40.00 bucks to fill my Mitsubishi mirage on regular gas on the economy and that was a small conservative car and that was 20 years ago. So we as a nation aren't willing to fire up our oil wells and start processing our oil for lower cost like our friend and grand pimp Chavez does. So gas should be sold at fair market value and I can assure everyone we'd drive different sized cars and they would get much better mileage looking at Europe and their cars.
We have only ourselves to blame for this mess for not wanting to have more conservative mileage based vehicles.

Hold on a minute, that isn't correct. If we as a nation could do things and consider moderation, and I'm equally as guilty then we'd scale back trips and travel. Stay home more on the weekends and size down our vehicles for more conservative mileage types. Use more public transportation when able too and demand our nation to except these ideas instead of spouting off for the whole world to hear things like this: These prices aren't going to make me change my habits! Then why should the oil companies care? I'm actually for petrol prices to be around $7~8.00 a gallon, why? Because when I lived in Australia I paid .75 cents a liter and at 4 liters to a gallon that is roughly $3.00 a gallon and that was 13 years ago, and while I lived in Japan it cost me 40.00 bucks to fill my Mitsubishi mirage on regular gas on the economy and that was a small conservative car and that was 20 years ago. So we as a nation aren't willing to fire up our oil wells and start processing our oil for lower cost like our friend and grand pimp Chavez does. So gas should be sold at fair market value and I can assure everyone we'd drive different sized cars and they would get much better mileage looking at Europe and their cars.
We have only ourselves to blame for this mess for not wanting to have more conservative mileage based vehicles.

Higher taxes will only wreck the economy. Libs have this silly idea government creates wealth and the private sector creates poverty

If there is a demand for a product/service there will be a company to step up and fill the demand

Higher taxes will only wreck the economy. Libs have this silly idea government creates wealth and the private sector creates poverty

If there is a demand for a product/service there will be a company to step up and fill the demand

you are speaking about a cartel, they aren't about about demand because they have the supply.
Wrecking the ecomony is correct if it happened over night. Look at katrina, with in weeks everything started rising in cost and it was the perfect time to do it. Mass chaos, and opportunity. We had to except it at that time. If these ideas were thought out and fair then we could live with it. I'm a working class stiff and I liver moderately so these things will affect me as well.

We should be building more oil refineries to meet the demands for gasoline. Thats the problem. An oil refinery fire last week and gas prices jump $.10-.15. Hurricane Katrina disables two refineries the price jumps $1. The refineries are maxed out and its just not safe for the economy when all we need is a natural disaster, a terrorist attack, or just an industrial accident to increase the gas price 50%+. The more these prices go up, the worse the economy will become and the more expensive everything else will be.

If you want to cripple the economy, go ahead, but I don't think its a good idea. people need to eat.

you are speaking about a cartel, they aren't about about demand because they have the supply.
Wrecking the ecomony is correct if it happened over night. Look at katrina, with in weeks everything started rising in cost and it was the perfect time to do it. Mass chaos, and opportunity. We had to except it at that time. If these ideas were thought out and fair then we could live with it. I'm a working class stiff and I liver moderately so these things will affect me as well.

There have been huge oil finds recently. Billions of barrels waiting to be tapped

All we ned to do is to make it easier for oil companies to build/expand refineries and the prices will come down

refineries are the key, but when tree hugging californians refuse to have these built in there state, then that is when we have to look at the big picture. Supply and demand. Untaped oil reserves is great, but actually making efforts to attempt to retrieve would be a start instead of political haggling over every type of animal and tree. We have to except to maintain our life style then we have to make some exceptions. We have great ways of protecting lands, water sheds and trees now and it takes effort but it is a very doable plan. I used the high prices of fuel as the motivation to use our resources and to expand other areas in fuel alternatives. Thes are all possible but we've got to put aside political issues and look at the overall picture for success.

refineries are the key, but when tree hugging californians refuse to have these built in there state, then that is when we have to look at the big picture. Supply and demand. Untaped oil reserves is great, but actually making efforts to attempt to retrieve would be a start instead of political haggling over every type of animal and tree. We have to except to maintain our life style then we have to make some exceptions. We have great ways of protecting lands, water sheds and trees now and it takes effort but it is a very doable plan. I used the high prices of fuel as the motivation to use our resources and to expand other areas in fuel alternatives. Thes are all possible but we've got to put aside political issues and look at the overall picture for success.

I will never figure out why tress and birds are more imortant to enviro wackos then jobs and the economy

Of course those tree huggers ride in limos and live in the energy hog mansions
(like Al Gore)

I will never figure out why tress and birds are more imortant to enviro wackos then jobs and the economy

Of course those tree huggers ride in limos and live in the energy hog mansions
(like Al Gore)

and many drive pieces of shit that are environmentally polluting our air.....I see it as in California, doesn't want to come along then they'd have to pay twice what the rest of the country pays for petrol at the pump.
Electric plants same deal. This state needs to accept responsibility for being a burden instead of making excuses.

and many drive pieces of shit that are environmentally polluting our air.....I see it as in California, doesn't want to come along then they'd have to pay twice what the rest of the country pays for petrol at the pump.
Electric plants same deal. This state needs to accept responsibility for being a burden instead of making excuses.

Taxes also make up a good part of the higher price at the pump

Government has no problem making 50 to 60 cents off a gallon of gas - but they blast the oil companies for making a dime profit off the same gallon of gas

Liberal logic at it's best

goes back to motives. if the g is making 50~60 cents a gallon, we should have awesome roads and proper safety devices to keep us safe on these roads.
Private sector should be getting permits signed for new petrol plants in various states as we write. Heck I'm all for profit but show me the results of profit in a positive way!

goes back to motives. if the g is making 50~60 cents a gallon, we should have awesome roads and proper safety devices to keep us safe on these roads.
Private sector should be getting permits signed for new petrol plants in various states as we write. Heck I'm all for profit but show me the results of profit in a positive way!

With the amount of money the government makes of gas - the roads should be paved in 24K gold

With the amount of money the government makes of gas - the roads should be paved in 24K gold

well we should have some of the best roads in the world. roads to take hazmats to direct points in cities, hiways for moving goods across this nation that are used for shipping companies and railroad companies. I'm a dreamer but I could see had we used the same ideas that built our original hiway system and expanded that to a more economic means we'd be the most advanced nation on the plant. But we're not and we won't ever be if we as a nation keep making excuses for our situations.

well we should have some of the best roads in the world. roads to take hazmats to direct points in cities, hiways for moving goods across this nation that are used for shipping companies and railroad companies. I'm a dreamer but I could see had we used the same ideas that built our original hiway system and expanded that to a more economic means we'd be the most advanced nation on the plant. But we're not and we won't ever be if we as a nation keep making excuses for our situations.

Here in the US, with unions doing some of the road work - it is neccessary to approve a $20 million contract for a $9 million road project

again that is a problem, having unions skim the profits and over inflate the real cost and use inferior materials. Nothing wrong with bidding to do a job, but at the same time bidding so low only to have to increase the real cost for the sake of the job.

again that is a problem, having unions skim the profits and over inflate the real cost and use inferior materials. Nothing wrong with bidding to do a job, but at the same time bidding so low only to have to increase the real cost for the sake of the job.

The cost is high given who really runs the unions

Certain "families" make sure they get their slice of the pie

Honestly putting taxes aside, I'd like to see the plans for the infrastructure of the petrol plants, drilling and how this would be done for say the next 15-20 years to provide for the demand in our nation alone. Then we could address taxes. See I believe that the oil companies should put something into this big pot too. They use the roads for transporting goods to the stations and tanks to store the gas and petroleum goods. These companies should be assisting in all of the above and if they are still making profit then that is a good thing. But to burden everyone else and yet only provide a product and then gloat is BS. Every state should have a dog in this fight. California should be put on notice that they have to comply and get onboard with the construction and up keep of current and future petroleum plants.

If people ant lower gas prices then we should let the oil companies do what they do best

Let them drill, refine, and distribute their product

Forum List

Back