Clyburn column: "Jan. 6, voting rights and the tyranny threatening America"...Biden & Kamala going to Georgia to push voting rights reform legislation

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
the Dems are going full court press on this

Being an important Constitutionally protected right, we should make voting as easy for people as we can.

the Dems are going full court press on this
Without it, they're about to lose everything, potentially for a decade. WITH it, we may all just lose our country. I've grown to hate these bastards. They've long since reached the point where personal power means more than the country to them. They're going to find that this is one we cannot walk away from.

1/4/22.....Manchin delivers blow to Democrats as he signals opposition to changing Senate rules to advance voting bill....​

(CNN)Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, the pivotal Senate swing vote, made clear on Tuesday that he remains deeply skeptical of overhauling the chamber's rules on a simple majority basis to advance voting legislation, a clear sign that a frantic push by Democrats to win his support to change the filibuster and pass one of the party's core priorities is likely doomed.

If the dems were smart (a stretch) they (the ones not totally retarded) would fall in line behind Manchin, defeat any measures the tards are pushing around both the fillibuster and vote manipulation, and urge him to run for POTUS.

You know, I never thought that Manchin would be the dem's (and the county's) only hope but that's just the type of clown world we live in now.

1641654434219.png

• Banned

excerpts:

“We are doubling down, kicking it into another gear, we are going right to the belly of the beast, or ground zero, for voter suppression, voter subversion and obstruction,” said Cedric Richmond, White House senior adviser and director of the Office of Public Engagement.

“It's really about the fact that there's a vote coming up,” said Richmond. “The Senate leader has voiced his plan. We supported his plan, and we're going to use the White House to try to galvanize the votes.”

Biden’s trip to Atlanta comes as voting rights advocates and allied lawmakers have called on him to be more forceful and consistent.

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) said he hopes that both Biden and Harris will “speak emphatically about the need for filibuster reform” and has made his desire known to the White House. Johnson did not ask the White House for any reassurances, but said he expects Biden to be direct in his comments about the need to change the filibuster.

Biden's speech on the anniversary of Jan. 6, “didn’t pull any punches,” Johnson said. “And I look forward to him doing the same thing on filibuster reform, being just as direct and straightforward and clear in his speech in Atlanta next week, as he was in speaking about the insurrection...and who was who was responsible for it.”

As Biden’s other top agenda item — a massive social spending and climate bill — has stalled out, Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) said the legislative “vacuum is quickly being filled” by voting rights.

“I don't think there is a Democrat in the country that wanted Build Back Better to pass by Christmas more than I did,” Casey said. “But the primacy of voting rights now has to supersede everything else we do. I think we found out toward the end of the year that it's very difficult to have two parallel tracks to two big issues. And sometimes you have to prioritize and you have to sequence.”

Casey described the next push for voting and elections bills “as important a body of work as any of us will ever do.”

Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), a White House confidant and the third-ranking House Democrat, took offense to Manchin’s argument that changes to Senate rules should be bipartisan, saying “we just don’t have enough Democrats who are in touch with the history of this country, or they'd stop saying some of this foolishness.”

“I am, as you know, a Black person, descended of people who were given the vote by the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The 15th amendment was not a bipartisan vote, it was a single party vote that gave Black people the right to vote,” said Clyburn. “Manchin and others need to stop saying that because that gives me great pain for somebody to imply that the 15th Amendment of the United States Constitution is not legitimate because it did not have bipartisan buy-in.”

Rep. Nikema Williams (D-Ga.), who has been in touch with the White House ahead of the visit, said she expects Biden to provide specifics about how he plans to move the issue forward.

“I think coming to Atlanta, coming to the 5th Congressional District, I am sitting in the seat that was once held by Congressman John Lewis,” Williams said. “We're the cradle of the civil rights movement. You don't come to Atlanta just for another speech. This is about action.”

excerpts:

“We are doubling down, kicking it into another gear, we are going right to the belly of the beast, or ground zero, for voter suppression, voter subversion and obstruction,” said Cedric Richmond, White House senior adviser and director of the Office of Public Engagement.

“It's really about the fact that there's a vote coming up,” said Richmond. “The Senate leader has voiced his plan. We supported his plan, and we're going to use the White House to try to galvanize the votes.”

Biden’s trip to Atlanta comes as voting rights advocates and allied lawmakers have called on him to be more forceful and consistent.

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) said he hopes that both Biden and Harris will “speak emphatically about the need for filibuster reform” and has made his desire known to the White House. Johnson did not ask the White House for any reassurances, but said he expects Biden to be direct in his comments about the need to change the filibuster.

Biden's speech on the anniversary of Jan. 6, “didn’t pull any punches,” Johnson said. “And I look forward to him doing the same thing on filibuster reform, being just as direct and straightforward and clear in his speech in Atlanta next week, as he was in speaking about the insurrection...and who was who was responsible for it.”

As Biden’s other top agenda item — a massive social spending and climate bill — has stalled out, Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) said the legislative “vacuum is quickly being filled” by voting rights.

“I don't think there is a Democrat in the country that wanted Build Back Better to pass by Christmas more than I did,” Casey said. “But the primacy of voting rights now has to supersede everything else we do. I think we found out toward the end of the year that it's very difficult to have two parallel tracks to two big issues. And sometimes you have to prioritize and you have to sequence.”

Casey described the next push for voting and elections bills “as important a body of work as any of us will ever do.”

Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), a White House confidant and the third-ranking House Democrat, took offense to Manchin’s argument that changes to Senate rules should be bipartisan, saying “we just don’t have enough Democrats who are in touch with the history of this country, or they'd stop saying some of this foolishness.”

“I am, as you know, a Black person, descended of people who were given the vote by the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The 15th amendment was not a bipartisan vote, it was a single party vote that gave Black people the right to vote,” said Clyburn. “Manchin and others need to stop saying that because that gives me great pain for somebody to imply that the 15th Amendment of the United States Constitution is not legitimate because it did not have bipartisan buy-in.”

Rep. Nikema Williams (D-Ga.), who has been in touch with the White House ahead of the visit, said she expects Biden to provide specifics about how he plans to move the issue forward.

“I think coming to Atlanta, coming to the 5th Congressional District, I am sitting in the seat that was once held by Congressman John Lewis,” Williams said. “We're the cradle of the civil rights movement. You don't come to Atlanta just for another speech. This is about action.”
All foam, no beer.

the last time the Dems were in the minority, they used the filibuster 270 times

FIrdgg4XMAkS3_w

Everyone knows this has nothing to do with voting rights. It's 100% about legalizing ways for Democrats to steal future elections. They're going to Georgia because they have a bigmouthed fat lady down there who will carry on and make a big commotion, and monkey see monkey do Democrats eat that kind of shit right up. Democrats will believe anything, as long as it's a Democrat talking point.

We did our part. We fought. We organized. We voted. And now it’s time for Biden and Kamala
to do theirs. Enough platitudes and niceties.

excerpt:

“Georgia voters made history and made their voices heard, overcoming obstacles, threats, and suppressive laws to deliver the White House and the US Senate,” the statement said. “In return, a visit has been forced on them, requiring them to accept political platitudes and repetitious, bland promises. Such an empty gesture, without concrete action, without signs of real, tangible work, is unacceptable.”

The statement from the voting rights groups says that they will “reject any visit by President Biden that does not include an announcement of a finalized voting rights plan that will pass both chambers, not be stopped by the filibuster, and be signed into law; anything less is insufficient and unwelcome.”

We did our part. We fought. We organized. We voted. And now it’s time for Biden and Kamala
to do theirs. Enough platitudes and niceties.

So, Dimmers being lazy don't like to vote in person, and the few that do are shamed to have to show an ID like they do for their 40 ozers.....so what is the answer, keep having someone else fill out the ballots for them??

Being an important Constitutionally protected right, we should make voting as easy for people as we can.
Easy to legally vote. Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama suggest registering more voters. I think GA has actually EXPANDED the hours polls will be open for in person voting. And GENERALLY its been the gop using mail in voting (absentee) for .... less than truly necessary purposes. The dems out did them in Ga in 2020. But maybe making people who really are ambulatory and in-state on election day getting to a polling place is not all that much of an imposition. At least, I hope it works out that way. And if I were in GA, i'd vote for anyone but Perdue ... or Trump.

Forum List

Back