Clinton admits blame....and then immediately says it really wasn't his fault

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
More Slick Willy shenanigans. And the sad part is that I think he was probably the best prez we've had in the last 20 years. I just can't stand the partisan blame game. STFU Bill.

Clinton: I Was Wrong to Listen to Wrong Advice Against Regulating Derivatives* - Political Punch
In my EXCLUSIVE “This Week” interview, I asked former President Bill Clinton if he thought he got bad advice on regulating complex financial instruments known as derivatives from his former Treasury Secretaries, Robert Rubin and Larry Summers. He acknowledged that he was wrong to take the advice of those advising him against regulating derivatives.

“On derivatives, yeah I think they were wrong and I think I was wrong to take [their advice] because the argument on derivatives was that these things are expensive and sophisticated and only a handful of investors will buy them and they don’t need any extra protection, and any extra transparency. The money they’re putting up guarantees them transparency,” Clinton told me.

“And the flaw in that argument,” Clinton added, “was that first of all sometimes people with a lot of money make stupid decisions and make it without transparency.”

The former President also said he was also wrong about understanding the consequences if the derivatives market tanked. “The most important flaw was even if less than 1 percent of the total investment community is involved in derivative exchanges, so much money was involved that if they went bad, they could affect a 100 percent of the investments, and indeed a 100 percent of the citizens in countries, not investors, and I was wrong about that.”
I think what happened was the SEC and the whole regulatory apparatus after I left office was just let go. I think if Arthur Levitt had been on the job at the SEC, my last SEC commissioner, an enormous percentage of what we’ve been through in the last eight or nine years would not have happened. I feel very strongly about it. I think it’s important to have vigorous oversight.
If he had said something to the effect that Bush had compounded his [Clinton's] mistake, I could get behind that. It's the whole "yeah, I set up the bubble and the crash, but it really is Bush's fault anyway" that pisses me off.

Forum List

Back