Cleveland, or anywhere else

Steel was just cheaper when you buy from China. Every freaking thing is made in China. THIS is a problem. This is why the Trump admin looking at China trade is a good thing. Nothing we buy anymore has the quality it once had when it was made in the USA, now it is all China all the time.

Just a note about the "steel industry."

In case you are not aware, the U.S. has a thriving steel industry, and a thriving auto industry, as well - one that didn't need a government bailout.

The thriving steel industry is a group of companies referred to in the industry as "mini-mills," the largest of which is NUCOR Steel. The thriving auto industry is the group of off-shore manufacturers who are happily and profitably making cars that people actually want.

Interestingly, the "mini-mills" and the off-shore auto manufacturers have something significant in common: NO UNIONS. Their employees make good money, they have good benefits, good working conditions, and they have healthy 401k plans, but no unions.

The Big Three auto makers have the United Auto Workers to partner with and the "integrated steel mills" had the USW.

Draw the appropriate conclusion.

Steel was just cheaper when you buy from China. Every freaking thing is made in China. THIS is a problem. This is why the Trump admin looking at China trade is a good thing. Nothing we buy anymore has the quality it once had when it was made in the USA, now it is all China all the time.
I was worried about China getting favored trade status but I was not paying that much attention back then. Whose Idea was it and who voted for it?

Just a note about the "steel industry."

In case you are not aware, the U.S. has a thriving steel industry, and a thriving auto industry, as well - one that didn't need a government bailout.

The thriving steel industry is a group of companies referred to in the industry as "mini-mills," the largest of which is NUCOR Steel. The thriving auto industry is the group of off-shore manufacturers who are happily and profitably making cars that people actually want.

Interestingly, the "mini-mills" and the off-shore auto manufacturers have something significant in common: NO UNIONS. Their employees make good money, they have good benefits, good working conditions, and they have healthy 401k plans, but no unions.

The Big Three auto makers have the United Auto Workers to partner with and the "integrated steel mills" had the USW.

Draw the appropriate conclusion.
Indeed, unions made sense in the early part of the 20th century, but in the latter half they went nuts. Of course, mid century, CEOs were making a few hundred K a year not multi millions.

It is not sustainable. Great Nations do not have forgotten rust-belts.
The question is what government policy and business planning causes these problems and how do you fix them?

Several years ago somebody floated a plan to revitalize the downtown. It was called the jobs and housing plan. Sounds good. However, when looking at the plan, All of the jobs would be restaurant and retail. All of the housing would be for people making $100k and up.

It was like WTF? How is that going to work?
Nobody has an answer for this one, I see.

It is not sustainable. Great Nations do not have forgotten rust-belts.
The question is what government policy and business planning causes these problems and how do you fix them?

Several years ago somebody floated a plan to revitalize the downtown. It was called the jobs and housing plan. Sounds good. However, when looking at the plan, All of the jobs would be restaurant and retail. All of the housing would be for people making $100k and up.

It was like WTF? How is that going to work?
Nobody has an answer for this one, I see.
Somebody? Anybody?

I hear that there are more empty luxury apartments in NYC than there are homeless people.

Who is driving this ship?

Forum List

Back