Classic S.O.S. White Gravy Roast Beef Chips and Toast

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
For anyone who worked for Uncle Sam and ate at the cafeterias, you know about the classic breakfast food called S.O.S. or in other words White Gravy with Roast Beef Chips over Toast.

Here is my own recipe for it:

Mix in a pint container per serving desired:

1 oz vegie oil

1 cup milk

1/4 teas. salt

1/4 teas. pepper

1/4 cup flour

After beating this together, pour it into a greased/oiled pan and bring it to a boil while stirring. If it becomes too thick add hot water from the tap to thin it to the desired consistency.

Reduce the heat and add chips of roast beef from your fridge.

Also add some frozen vegies.

Cover and bring slowly to a boil again.

Turn off the heat.

Toast 2 slices of bread per serving, place these toasted in a big bowl, then pour the S.O.S. mixture over the bread.

This is a hearty breakfast with several food groups in it --

- meat

- milk (not kosher if you're Jewish, sorry)

- vegies

- carbs

- oil (lipids).

If you have fruit juice with it that is yet another food group -- fruits.

I usually have iced tea however, for a lite caffeine boost.

One serving is very hearty and will get you to lunch without any hunger. The beef makes the meal last 6 hours until you are hungry again.

You can also make this with fried ground beef, as long as you fry the ground beef first separately, before you add the gravy mix. I like chipped roast beef better though. This is all part of my strategy to use up a roast I baked last night. This is the breakfast portion of the roast beef.

I am having this now as we speak/write/read.

Enjoy !!

Last edited:
A pint container makes 1 serving of gravy.

You will need a bigger container to make 2 or more.

For anyone who worked for Uncle Sam and ate at the cafeterias, you know about the classic breakfast food called S.O.S. or in other words White Gravy with Roast Beef Chips over Toast.

Here is my own recipe for it:

Mix in a pint container per serving desired:

1 oz vegie oil

1 cup milk

1/4 teas. salt

1/4 teas. pepper

1/4 cup flour

After beating this together, pour it into a greased/oiled pan and bring it to a boil while stirring. If it becomes too thick add hot water from the tap to thin it to the desired consistency.

Reduce the heat and add chips of roast beef from your fridge.

Also add some frozen vegies.

Cover and bring slowly to a boil again.

Turn off the heat.

Toast 2 slices of bread per serving, place these toasted in a big bowl, then pour the S.O.S. mixture over the bread.

This is a hearty breakfast with several food groups in it --

- meat

- milk (not kosher if you're Jewish, sorry)

- vegies

- carbs

- oil (lipids).

If you have fruit juice with it that is yet another food group -- fruits.

I usually have iced tea however, for a lite caffeine boost.

One serving is very hearty and will get you to lunch without any hunger. The beef makes the meal last 6 hours until you are hungry again.

You can also make this with fried ground beef, as long as you fry the ground beef first separately, before you add the gravy mix. I like chipped roast beef better though. This is all part of my strategy to use up a roast I baked last night. This is the breakfast portion of the roast beef.

I am having this now as we speak/write/read.

Enjoy !!

I love the Army menu who calls it "Creme De Beef On Toast" and is made with ground beef. The troops call it SOS. (Shit On a Shingle)

The Navy makes it with dried chipped beef and the sailors call it "Foreskins on Toast." Whatever.

I'll be in Ft Hood at the 1st Cav Reunion June 7-10. Everyone looks forward to a breakfast provided by the active duty troops that includes plenty of SOS and fried eggs. Yummy!

I was talking about SoS with a friend yesterday. Her family made it with hamburger and served it over mashed potatoes. No veggies. My mother made it like your recipe, and to add insult to injury, she always included peas. I hate peas.

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)

There was a restaurant in Columbus Ohio when I was growing that had that as a specialty.

It was locally known as Johnny Marzetti, after the owner.

Still drives me nuts when the wife makes it , and call it American Chop Suey

There was a restaurant in Columbus Ohio when I was growing that had that as a specialty.

It was locally known as Johnny Marzetti, after the owner.

Still drives me nuts when the wife makes it , and call it American Chop Suey
I guess Chop Suey is the "official" name cooks gave it in the service. At least I read it somewhere. How upstate New York came up with goulash, I have no idea. It's one of my favorites, though. Gotta have some green pepper in it.

Sounds good. I will have to try it. I mean the recipe Yios posted.

I don't know how good it is. Do me a favor and DON'T add peas, okay?
My mom also used dried chipped beef, the kind in the glass jar? Do they still sell that? It didn't need to be refrigerated. To let it rehydrate a little, I think you want to let it simmer awhile.

I've never heard goulash called Chop Suey. I used to eat goulash all the time as a kid, as well as shit on a shingle. Can't you also make shit on a shingle by mixing corn beef hash with gravy?

My mother made all of the above, A white sauce with whatever served over toast, biscuits, or potatoes. Sometimes even lightly stirring in some eggs that would cook into chunks and served over toast.

Does anybody know where this originated, like a country or region. I am sure my mother did not get it from the military.

My mother made all of the above, A white sauce with whatever served over toast, biscuits, or potatoes. Sometimes even lightly stirring in some eggs that would cook into chunks and served over toast.

Does anybody know where this originated, like a country or region. I am sure my mother did not get it from the military.
Sausage gravy over biscuits? Or is that a Maine thing, too?

I've never heard goulash called Chop Suey. I used to eat goulash all the time as a kid, as well as shit on a shingle. Can't you also make shit on a shingle by mixing corn beef hash with gravy?
Corn beef hash in gravy sounds really awful, lewdog. They call it American Chop Suey in Maine--I hear they do in Mass, too.

upload_2017-5-13_16-32-20.jpeg

Yup, they still sell it.

Don't know. My mother was born in Montana but moved to Ohio before getting married. Her mother was Pennsylvania Dutch. Ohio is as east as we have ever lived.

Another stretcher is chili over mashed potatoes. Gotta be thick chili though. I love it.

nope

Dad always served his sausage gravy over homemade biscuits

Don't know. My mother was born in Montana but moved to Ohio before getting married. Her mother was Pennsylvania Dutch. Ohio is as east as we have ever lived.
Well if you've been as far east as Ohio and lived further west, and you've never heard of sausage gravy over biscuits, I'm wondering if it's a Maine thing. Because I never heard of it before moving here. It looks like puke on a plate and I tried it once and it was NOT any good. At all.

Forum List

Back