Classic MSM bias... why most Americans getting their information from the BIASED MSM are LIED to!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Now this is what the biased MSM said about Texas blackout.

"But wind energy and other renewable sources make up only a fraction of the power generation in Texas,
which relies mostly on thermal energy, such as oil and natural gas, to power the state."

So what is a "fraction" from wind turbines?

Woodfin said wind shutdowns accounted for less than 13% of the outages.
13% is only a fraction for sure but is more than 10%
Coupled with then the increased demand on the other 87% electricity generation plants that was the cause.
We'll read more about the dependency on renewables causing shortages in the future.

"But wind energy and other renewable sources make up only a fraction of the power generation in Texas,
which relies mostly on thermal energy, such as oil and natural gas, to power the state."

Coupled with then the increased demand on the other 87% electricity generation plants that was the cause.
We'll read more about the dependency on renewables causing shortages in the future.

Except that the failure of the wind turbines in Texas isn't because wind turbines freeze in the cold weather, it's because power companies in Texas didn't buy the four season wind turbines. I walked up the street to check out the turbines on the Lake Eries shoreline here and everywhere I looked, to the east and to the west, all of the wind turbines were fully functioning, all of our gas lines are working, and all the water is flowing freely through our pipes.

I can see at least wind 50 turbines on the shores of Lake Erie from the park at the end of my street, and they're all working perfectly. Temperature yesterday was 16 F, with a wind child factor making it feel like 0 F. We've had no power outages whatsoever. We had a blizzard here on Tuesday and there are no major power outages whatsoever throughout the entire province of Ontario, through the coldest week of the year, and a major snow storm.

Texas is a state swimming in petroleum based products...and right now, they're essentially Puerto Rico. Stop with the constantly buying into the alt-right misinformation spew.
Renewable energy was not the issue here.

Texas is a joke.

1613669082095.png

Except that the failure of the wind turbines in Texas isn't because wind turbines freeze in the cold weather, it's because power companies in Texas didn't buy the four season wind turbines. I walked up the street to check out the turbines on the Lake Eries shoreline here and everywhere I looked, to the east and to the west, all of the wind turbines were fully functioning, all of our gas lines are working, and all the water is flowing freely through our pipes.

I can see at least wind 50 turbines on the shores of Lake Erie from the park at the end of my street, and they're all working perfectly. Temperature yesterday was 16 F, with a wind child factor making it feel like 0 F. We've had no power outages whatsoever. We had a blizzard here on Tuesday and there are no major power outages whatsoever throughout the entire province of Ontario, through the coldest week of the year, and a major snow storm.
And I don't disagree with you! But to depend on 13% of your power from a sporadic source like the wind seems
inappropriate and it was done to satisfy the uninformed climate change crowd.
It is a rare event for temperatures to be where they are here in Texas for the period of time.
And I'm sure the turbines will be better equipped in the future.
But to blame fossil fuel which the climate change crowd is doing is ill-informed.

its the MSM, or just fox news?
was anybody lying about texas green energy other than fox news?

Texas is a state swimming in petroleum based products...and right now, they're essentially Puerto Rico. Stop with the constantly buying into the alt-right misinformation spew.
And I didn't buy in to the mis-information that the MSM presented...remember my point was they said "a fraction" was turbines. 87% non-turbines is also a "fraction" but the MSM/USA today article said "turbines were a "fraction"... YES 13%!
That was my point. Biased news forms uninformed people's opinion. Why couldn't the biased USAtoday say 13%?
Because they minimized turbines by saying "only a small fraction"! That was my point.

And I don't disagree with you! But to depend on 13% of your power from a sporadic source like the wind seems
It is a rare event for temperatures to be where they are here in Texas for the period of time.
But to blame fossil fuel which the climate change crowd is doing is ill-informed.
Fossil fuels are more to blame than wind generation. Most of the reduction in their generation is due to natural gas and other traditional sources being unable to handle the cold weather.

It’s not because it isn’t windy, in fact the article states half the windmills are working fine and producing a lot more energy due to the nasty high winds accompanying the storms.

And I didn't buy in to the mis-information that the MSM presented...remember my point was they said "a fraction" was turbines. 87% non-turbines is also a "fraction" but the MSM/USA today article said "turbines were a "fraction"... YES 13%!
That was my point. Biased news forms uninformed people's opinion. Why couldn't the biased USAtoday say 13%?
Because they minimized turbines by saying "only a small fraction"! That was my point.

The bigger question here is "Why are you quibbling over 3%?" :)
That's really not the point. Bigger picture is the infrastructure wasn't
ready to handle the demand and there were no other options to buy power from elsewhere.
13% IS a fraction. But it isn't really even that since these windmills generate a fraction of their
power during the winter months.

Fossil fuels are more to blame than wind generation. Most of the reduction in their generation is due to natural gas and other traditional sources being unable to handle the cold weather.

It’s not because it isn’t windy, in fact the article states half the windmills are working fine and producing a lot more energy due to the nasty high winds accompanying the storms.

Again I disagree that natural gas is the problem. I have a gas furnace, gas stove, and gas hot water heater, in Canada, and our natural gas is more reliable than our electricity. My natural gas has never frozen in Canada - not once ever in my entire life, and I grew up in house with gas heat and a gas stove.

The issue is that the power grid in Texas not built to function in freezing termperatures because it would have cost more money to do so, and therefore, less profitable. This is the libertarian, free market, unregulated concept that Texas has been pursuing for generations, and this is the inevitable result of unregulated capitalism.

Those of us who live quite comfortably with heat, power and water, in jurisdictions where temperatures are much, much colder than Texas will ever have, are not freezing in the cold, in the dark with nothing to eat or drink. I'm about to turn off my TV, have a nice hot shower, and then cook my dinner. After I have my shower, I'll toss a load of laundry in the washer.

This is a failure of governance. Plain and simple.

My "quibble" is USAtoday defending wind turbines/climate change, etc. by negating the amount of wind turbine generation.
The problem is correct, Texas utilities were not prepared for this 100 year occurrence. This weather is historic.
FACTS:
Texas sees one of its coldest winters in decades as temperatures drop
The Last Time This Happened: Recalling the 1989 Cold Wave
And there definitely was 13% of electricity generated by wind turbines.

The wind is not a "sporadic source". There are prevailing winds all around the planet. The ones that move the clouds and the weather from west to east every single day. If I want to know what the weather will be in two days, I look at the weather in the midwest today.

That argument is even weaker than "Turbines won't work in the cold".

The climate change crowd is blaming the lack of regulation of the Texas power grid, to ensure the system was built to work in cold weather, would function in all weather.

The wind is not a "sporadic source". There are prevailing winds all around the planet. The ones that move the clouds and the weather from west to east every single day. If I want to know what the weather will be in two days, I look at the weather in the midwest today.

The climate change crowd is blaming the lack of regulation of the Texas power grid, to ensure the system was built to work in cold weather, would function in all weather.
I meant sporadic in that the wind turbine doesn't generate electricity because of:
1) freezing in areas like Texas that haven't had this kind of cold in 32 years hence 32 years ago there was no such
thing as wind turbines contributing 13% of power in Texas.
2) Sporadic winds do occur. Yes not frequently but NO utility in the world responsible for total electricity generation
depends solely on the wind. They all have backup fossil fuel/nuclear systems if they do.
And I agree re climate change crowd wanting more regulations. I'm going to give an example that at first may sound
totally incongruous but be patient.
Obamacare required any small business with more than 50 employees to carry health insurance.
So a small business that needed say the 50th employee had to then to hire that 50th employee buy $15,000/mo
in health insurance for all 50 employees. The small business solution: hire 2 part-time workers.
Consequently 95% of people hired during Obama were part-time.
I'm not making that up.
So to with the wind turbine that REQUIRED subsidies in the first place. Now the unusually cold weather in Texas with this ONE rare and infrequent appearance will cost utilities with wind turbines more to operate to meet freezing requirements.
So what will happen? Utilities will reduce use of turbines, depend on nuclear.
FACTS.

I meant sporadic in that the wind turbine doesn't generate electricity because of:
1) freezing in areas like Texas that haven't had this kind of cold in 32 years hence 32 years ago there was no such
2) Sporadic winds do occur. Yes not frequently but NO utility in the world responsible for total electricity generation
depends solely on the wind. They all have backup fossil fuel/nuclear systems if they do.
And I agree re climate change crowd wanting more regulations. I'm going to give an example that at first may sound
Obamacare required any small business with more than 50 employees to carry health insurance.
So a small business that needed say the 50th employee had to then to hire that 50th employee buy $15,000/mo
in health insurance for all 50 employees. The small business solution: hire 2 part-time workers.
I'm not making that up.
So to with the wind turbine that REQUIRED subsidies in the first place. Now the unusually cold weather in Texas with this ONE rare and infrequent appearance will cost utilities with wind turbines more to operate to meet freezing requirements.
FACTS.

Since it's not JUST the wind turbines which failed in the cold, your position that what is happening now will reduce reliance on wind turbines seems unlikely. Gas lines froze as well, and so did the water lines.

Ontario gets 1/3 of its energy from renewable resources, but 20% of that is hydro-electric power. We make 50% more power than we use and because of wind and gas plants, we'll be able to shut down our oldest most expensive to operate nuclear plant. But ALL of our plants, supply lines and and distribution networks, are able to withstand the worst of Canadian winters.

Texas was warned in the wake of the 1989 storm, that climate change would see these extreme weather events across the southern states in the coming years and that these states should ensure that their grids could withstand these weather extremes. Texas did nothing.

It's not just Texas that is suffering, even though Texas is in the worst shape of all, right now, but all across the Deep South, thousands of people are without power because the private owned utitities didn't winterize their systems.

I'm not making that up.
FACTS.

Since it's not JUST the wind turbines which failed in the cold, your position that what is happening now will reduce reliance on wind turbines seems unlikely. Gas lines froze as well, and so did the water lines.

Ontario gets 1/3 of its energy from renewable resources, but 20% of that is hydro-electric power. We make 50% more power than we use and because of wind and gas plants, we'll be able to shut down our oldest most expensive to operate nuclear plant. But ALL of our plants, supply lines and and distribution networks, are able to withstand the worst of Canadian winters.

Texas was warned in the wake of the 1989 storm, that climate change would see these extreme weather events across the southern states in the coming years and that these states should ensure that their grids could withstand these weather extremes. Texas did nothing.

It's not just Texas that is suffering, even though Texas is in the worst shape of all, right now, but all across the Deep South, thousands of people are without power because the private owned utitities didn't winterize their systems.
Let's see... with your many rules and regulations and Canada being as a country 1.5 times larger than Texas are you happy that the Canadian average household electric/gas bill is $400/mo. vs Texas $135/mo.?
And Texas is not a country. Texas is a state.
And then with a Canadian income tax of 22% PLUS a providence income tax ave of about 10% hmm...
Texas doesn't have a state income tax. Hmmm...

I'm not making that up.
FACTS.

Did you see the constant parade of stories of wind turbines freezing up and malfunctioning in the midwest and upper Great Lakes every year?
Yeah, me neither. Because they are built to withstand the weather. The companies that operate them put a lot of money into their infrastructure.
Texas biggest problem is and always has been its Republican leaning politicians. You want to know why the state is essentially Puerto Rico this week?
Look no further than the Texas Republican party. There's a price to be paid for not investing in your power infrastructure.

And I'm sorry, what does the ACA and the individual mandate have to do with power outages in Texas?

• Disagree
Reactions: DBA

Forum List

Back